• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** West Indies in England 2012

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Turned off when Powell got out, just couldn't watch any longer as it was a farce to be honest, but i'm extremely proud of the guys today, the fight they've shown of late has been very pleasing to see, also i must give credit where credit is due, Sammy stuck around and he's saved the team from embarrassment today along with Samuals, so well done for finally playing a captains knock Darren, perform with the ball now and people might start accepting you more,

Hoping we get above 350 and if we do then i think England will feel the heat (excuse the pun), Kemar is in the form of his life, Rampy has a habit of taking early wickets and if there's any kind of spin there Shilly will have fun, so tomorrow should be very interesting indeed,

It's also back to back 300s we've made against England now which is also encouraging, one has to believe that if we get Gayle and Sars back then we can only improve even more from here.
WW, assuming those two blokes come back in, I presume Edwards on current form would go for Sarwan.

Who would you punt for Gayle?

Burgey

You and benchmark ran with it though, you'd have thought that I'd said it was unbearable or something.
Well tbf, saying "that heat" when giving a reason for fatigue in a couple of international fast bowlers in 2012 when it's 23 degrees is kind of a bit odd mate. I think they just bowled unspectacular last spells is all. Mind you, if Strauss had backed them an extra slip it may have been different.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
WW, assuming those two blokes come back in, I presume Edwards on current form would go for Sarwan.

Who would you punt for Gayle?
Harsh but I'd get rid of Powell, he's actually looked better than Barath but I think Barath has more talent and I'd rather keep the R/L combo upfront.

Also, Swann isn't the greatest but he's definitely better than Lyon for mine. He's not exactly bowling on helpful surfaces ATM either.

Last edited:

Burgey

Harsh but I'd get rid of Powell, he's actually looked better than Barath but I think Barath has more talent and I'd rather keep the R/L combo upfront.

Also, Swann isn't the greatest but he's definitely better than Lyon for mine. He's not exactly bowling on helpful surfaces ATM either.
Cheers. It's not an easy call between the two current openers, is it?

Lyon to take more wickets than Swann next Ashes series.

Assuming, of course, he hasn't been replaced by some random 17 year old leggie who took an 8 fer in second grade and was plucked from obscurity.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well tbf, saying "that heat" when giving a reason for fatigue in a couple of international fast bowlers in 2012 when it's 23 degrees is kind of a bit odd mate. I think they just bowled unspectacular last spells is all. Mind you, if Strauss had backed them an extra slip it may have been different.
It's closer to 30 than 23

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Cheers. It's not an easy call between the two current openers, is it?

Lyon to take more wickets than Swann next Ashes series.

Assuming, of course, he hasn't been replaced by some random 17 year old leggie who took an 8 fer in second grade and was plucked from obscurity.
Upside for Swann is that he spins it more than any other regulation offie, which is what gives him the edge for me. I like that he really gives it a rip.

Jacknife

International Captain
Don't quite see what's so odd about stating that it's always risky taking a new ball at the end of a hot tiring day, weather you think 23 degrees is hit is by the by, 3 or 4 days ago the temperature was in single figures and it's been a huge jump in temperature. I'm not too far from Notts and today felt far warmer than what it's been said, then again the temps given are shade temperatures and in the middle of the pitch would be higher.

I agree they didn't bowl that well from around tea, bit too loose and a few too many four balls on offer, they got away from the pressure bowling they do so well.

The missed slip catch was a bit of a strange one because for Broad the over before he'd had three slips in and the way Jimmy had been bowling especially with the new cherry you'd fancy him to nick one out, definitely missed a trick there Strauss.

Burgey

Upside for Swann is that he spins it more than any other regulation offie, which is what gives him the edge for me. I like that he really gives it a rip.
Yeah he certainly turns it big, no two ways about that.

Don't quite see what's so odd about stating that it's always risky taking a new ball at the end of a hot tiring day, weather you think 23 degrees is hit is by the by, 3 or 4 days ago the temperature was in single figures and it's been a huge jump in temperature. I'm not too far from Notts and today felt far warmer than what it's been said, then again the temps given are shade temperatures and in the middle of the pitch would be higher.

I agree they didn't bowl that well from around tea, bit too loose and a few too many four balls on offer, they got away from the pressure bowling they do so well.

The missed slip catch was a bit of a strange one because for Broad the over before he'd had three slips in and the way Jimmy had been bowling especially with the new cherry you'd fancy him to nick one out, definitely missed a trick there Strauss.
They were both balls Sammy was trying to turn to mid wicket too. Seemed to be getting a. It carried away.

I'm not sure about this pitch quickening. Not saying that in anyway as someone with local knowledge, just from looking at it and seeing a couple of puffs of dust on day one. Doesn't inspire me to think it'll nevessarily get faster like the comms seem to think it will.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It's not?!?!? Best stay indoors then.
Hey guess what ****, it doesn't get hot here often so we feel it when it does. You know, the same way as when it's below 15 you put three jumpers on and hide under the bed through fear of freezing to death

Jacknife

International Captain
Yeah he certainly turns it big, no two ways about that.

They were both balls Sammy was trying to turn to mid wicket too. Seemed to be getting a. It carried away.

I'm not sure about this pitch quickening. Not saying that in anyway as someone with local knowledge, just from looking at it and seeing a couple of puffs of dust on day one. Doesn't inspire me to think it'll nevessarily get faster like the comms seem to think it will.
Not sure about the pitch quickening up theory myself, don't ever remember TB ever doing that as a rule but if the weather continues to harden the pitch I can see it breaking up a little especially on day 5 and offering more for the spinners.

One thing that could be a spanner in the works for England, is if the WI get a bit of cloud cover and the ball starts to swing like we know it can do here, could make 350 or whatever seem like a long way away.

Burgey

Hey guess what ****, it doesn't get hot here often so we feel it when it does. You know, the same way as when it's below 15 you put three jumpers on and hide under the bed through fear of freezing to death
Meh. 5 degrees here this morning, I'm off for a nude surf. What's the prob?

Burgey

Not sure about the pitch quickening up theory myself, don't ever remember TB ever doing that as a rule but if the weather continues to harden the pitch I can see it breaking up a little especially on day 5 and offering more for the spinners.

One thing that could be a spanner in the works for England, is if the WI get a bit of cloud cover and the ball starts to swing like we know it can do here, could make 350 or whatever seem like a long way away.
Windies would love these two to put on another 50 wouldn't they? Sets up the possibility of 400 and with a spinner in the team they should be bowling last.

That of course is on the brave assumption they don't capitulate in their second dig themselves.

hazsa19

International Regular

To us it is hot, be it 23 degrees or 30; it feels like 40. This is where we're from and where we've grown up. Naturally we're gonna fatigue quicker in warm weather than sides from warmer climates. This seems like a pretty straightforward conclusion to make tbh.

Equally, we probably find it easier to get up for a match when it's grey and cool than other sides...we're used to it.

Last edited: