• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG World XI's game

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dexter, May and Gower would make a wonderful middle order

...and I'd stick DRJ and Herb Taylor in to open

Jacknife

International Captain
Dexter, May and Gower would make a wonderful middle order

...and I'd stick DRJ and Herb Taylor in to open
Exactly what I thought Fred, I was a bit undecided on who should play 3 out of Ted & Gower. Ted averaged 52 there in 38 Tests getting 6 of his 9 tons there. Gower averaged just shy of 50 in 35 tests at No3 where he hit 8 tons, so it's as long as it's short.

I think you've probably gone the right way putting Gower at 5 and having May at 4 simply because he was a bit of a monster there.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Openers - Conrad Hunte and Bill Lawry

Middle Order - David Gower, Clem Hill and Tex Dexter

Jager

International Debutant
Mediocre first class record and a small number of Tests don't help him.
Looking further into his career, he was evidently at his finest in times of a crisis, and a FC triple century adds to his value to me. Plus, if 23 tests is enough to immortalise Pollock, then 20 is enough for me to at least rate Paynter highly.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Looking further into his career, he was evidently at his finest in times of a crisis, and a FC triple century adds to his value to me. Plus, if 23 tests is enough to immortalise Pollock, then 20 is enough for me to at least rate Paynter highly.
Really? It adds a fraction above 0 for me. Geoff Marsh has a first class triple century, I'm not going to rate him above say a Michael Slater.

Paynter should probably get included in this exercise, but I'm not surprised at all that he hasn't made a line up yet.

Jager

International Debutant
Really? It adds a fraction above 0 for me. Geoff Marsh has a first class triple century, I'm not going to rate him above say a Michael Slater.

Paynter should probably get included in this exercise, but I'm not surprised at all that he hasn't made a line up yet.
I just register it as an ability to make huge scores, which I like a lot. He's hardly got a vote yet though, which in a forum obsessed with numbers I found a surprise.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I just register it as an ability to make huge scores, which I like a lot. He's hardly got a vote yet though, which in a forum obsessed with numbers I found a surprise.
Yeah I actually do place an importance on high scores, but Test match scores, not first class. I realize he made some big Test scores too.

One other thing, perhaps overall the forum is obsessed with numbers, but I think the group that we've got voting are thinking about things a bit more.

Jager

International Debutant
Final results

Ponsford: 6
Lawry: 6

Fredericks: 1
Goddard: 5
Haynes: 5
Stewart: 1
Anwar: 2
Barlow: 3
Taylor: 2
Hunte: 1
Woodfull: 1

Dexter: 7
de Villiers: 3
Hassett: 2
Chappell: 5
May: 8
Jayawardene: 3
Gower: 8
Hill: 4
Laxman: 1
Hazare: 1
Jardine: 2
Abbas: 2
Cowdrey: 1
Yousuf: 2
Hussey: 1
Khan: 1

Jager

International Debutant
NUFAN, are we still aiming for 16 teams? Also, I agree with your comment on the people who are selecting the teams here. Good to see so much variety in the choices, although not so much fun to count them up.

1. Select two opening bowlers
2. Select a wicketkeeper
3. Select a spinner

Suggested seamers
Neil Adcock, Shoaib Akhtar, Terry Alderman, James Anderson, Shane Bond, Stuart Broad, Chris Cairns, Andrew Flintoff, Jason Gillespie, Charlie Griffith, Zaheer Khan, George Lohmann, Fazal Mahmood, Craig McDermott, Garth McKenzie, Sarfraz Nawaz, Makhaya Ntini, Peter Pollock, Bruce Reid, Tom Richardson, Fred Spofforth, Javagal Srinath, Brian Statham, Heath Streak, Jeff Thomson, Frank Tyson, Charlie Turner, Chaminda Vaas, Bob Willis

Suggested Spinners
Saeed Ajmal, Bishan Bedi, Charlie Blythe, Johnny Briggs, Bhajwath Chandrasekhar, Lance Gibbs, Subhash Gupte, Stuart MacGill, Saqlain Mushtaq, Bobby Peel, Erapalli Prasanna, Abdul Qadir, Sonny Ramadhin, Wilfred Rhodes, Graeme Swann, Hugh Trumble, Derek Underwood, Alf Valentine, Johnny Wardle

Suggested keepers
Wasim Bari, Jack Blackham, Mark Boucher, MS Dhoni, Jeffrey Dujon, Godfrey Evans, Wally Grout, Jackie Hendriks, Prasanna Jayawardene, Syed Kirmani, Rashid Latif, Rodney Marsh, Bert Oldfield, Matt Prior, Jack Russell, Ian Smith, Alec Stewart, Bob Taylor, John Waite

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah still aiming for 16 teams.

Opening Bowlers - Neil Adcock and Jeff Thomson. I think we need the mad man in pronto.

Wicket Keeper - Tough choice, but I'll go with Jeffrey Dujon.

Spinner - Subhash Gupte - Excellent record and I'm going to take a bit of a punt on a bowler who the great Garry Sobers considered to be superior to Shane Warne.