Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar

CW50 2nd Edition - No 03

Number 03 Imran Khan

Highest Ranking 1
    Total Points 962
    Number of Votes Received 54/57
    Rank in 1st Edition 7

What they said of him

“Imran Khan running in to bowl is a sight for gods” (Sunil Gavaskar, arguably the finest opening batsman of all time comments on Imran)

“If you have to have an All Time XI of the greatest players you need to have Imran in there, he probably should be captain of the All Time XI, Bradman might be annoyed but I think on merit it probably should be Imran” (Tim de Lisle, Editor of Wisden)

“Imran Khan in particular was a very mentally strong man and a great leader. When Imran Khan took 10 others out with him onto the field, the 10 others that went with him believed in him, believed in the team that he was leading, and believed that Pakistan could achieve anything” (Michael Holding, former WI great on Imran Khan)

Imran Khan

Many are conceived great but it can also be achieved by not necessarily being yourself as at conception, by changing, evolving, renovating. The broad outline is that he went from being a good player to the finest one his country produced, and arguably the finest bowling allrounder cricket has seen. Underpinning this was his real genius: an unbending commitment and a pig-headed focus, a blind devotion, really, to any given single cause - to better himself, to better his side, to better his country, to better the world. As the sport burst out of urban Pakistan, pouring out a hurl of talent, he remained at the centre, driving his side forth and, by default, shaping the game as it grew. If that sounds too much, just imagine cricket's landscape in Pakistan without him. Might not hockey be the national sport in name and spirit? For sure the country would have been one of spinners and medium-pacers, no Wasim, Waqar, Zahid, Shoaib, Aqib, and Amir in sight. There probably wouldn't be the modern attacking mores of their play, the gung-ho shot-making, the wicket-taking lengths and stump-hitting lines that were Imran commandments, developed as an antidote to the ennui he felt was drowning him on the English county circuit. The art of reverse swing that he perfected with Sarfaraz would bring a new weapon into the armory of fast bowlers. That for the last 10 years of his career, across 50 matches, he averaged 19 with the ball and 52 with the bat almost go unnoticed because of the leadership that he provided. Series wins in India, England, Sri Lanka, and almost beating the WI in WI were some of his achievements. On his day he could run through batting line ups or with his batting hold up one end to stop the slide of wickets. That he handpicked players like Anwar, Inzamam, Wasim, Waqar, Aqib, and groomed them is a testament to his eye for talent. Arguably the most glamorous cricketer ever to grace the field of cricket, the tiger king, takes his place at number 3 on CW’s top 50 cricketers of all time.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Banned
    Awww... i expected Imran to be above Sobers

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    only one on the list to ha back in 5
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Thought one of the surprises Smali mentioned was Imran higher than Sobers. Great bowler, captain and greatest ever bowling allrounder in history. Would be vice captain of my AT Team.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Perfectly fair.

That said, disappointed to see a fair top three, probably with Bradman at no.1. Would've enjoyed the row.

That said, if you'd made a thread with Bradman at no.6 or something, no-one would've believed you.

Had him at 3. I consider him to be the 2nd most complete cricketer ever behind Sobers. He would make my all time XI as a bowler alone. His batting, competitiveness, and leadership just adds to the value. His influence on a generation of Pakistani players that he inspired can't be understated. What a champ!

Banned
    Only minus against him is the 1992 world cup winning speech... he's up there on the podium and he's won the biggest prize in cricket to cap off a great career, and the first thing he says is "Im a build a cancer hospital"

They are a couple reasons he is not top three for me, but here is not the time or place and I too have no problem with the ranking as he probably meant more to his team than any other.

Kyear, here is entirely the time and place. Go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Kyear, here is entirely the time and place. Go for it.

true

As you said earlier you are looking for a row. I am not. Trying to stay on Smali's good side.

Quote Originally Posted by Satguru View Post
    Only minus against him is the 1992 world cup winning speech... he's up there on the podium and he's won the biggest prize in cricket to cap off a great career, and the first thing he says is "Im a build a cancer hospital"
    Yep, in memory of his mother. Seems pretty understandable to me.

Imran........definitely the greatest cricketer in my lifetime....great bowler, decent/solid bat, outstanding leader........showed his leadership in coming up with a cancer hospital (free for the poor), a university in a rural town of his native constituency, and with getting a lot of funding for the flood affected people. Hopefully the next Prime Minister of Pakistan. Imran
    Last edited by smalishah84; 13-04-2012 at 10:14 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    I now that, and it was touching,
    but he probably shouldnt have started with that... the usual "inshallah boys played well" ala inzamam was the way to start it off imo

Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    True.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information