• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Indian Premier League 2012

Jayzamann

International Regular
Really interested to see how Clarke goes if he actually does sign up with Pune.

I don't see what he can gain, seems a step in the wrong direction.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Seems like Tendulkar might not play in this IPL because of a toe injury. Takes some of the fun out of it for me.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i can only assume clarke is pissed he's considered a poor t20 player and wants to prove everyone wrong #BigEgo #ILoveHimEvenMore

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Funny Clarke signs up for IPL now, with frequent injuries and test captaincy, after "rejecting" it to focus on his test career earlier. Guess everybody has their price.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
I actually think Pup will do well in IPL and surprise a lot of people.

Many people go on about his poor T20 record, but it's been a while since he's played one, and in the time since, he's taken his batting to a whole new level - he's able to score quickly in Tests and ODIs. He's also got a good record in India, and with his fielding, bowling and leadership, he's a good package.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Many people go on about his poor T20 record, but it's been a while since he's played one, and in the time since, he's taken his batting to a whole new level - he's able to score quickly in Tests and ODIs. He's also got a good record in India, and with his fielding, bowling and leadership, he's a good package.
Clarke's entire domestic T20 career consists of 6 games he played for Hampshire in 2004. Clarke has never played T20 cricket for New South Wales.

vicky

School Boy/Girl Captain

Also think on current form he'll feast on a lot of the bowling he's likely to come up against tbh.

On an unrelated note, anyone know categorically if the matches are being shown on Oz tv?

I'm almost certain fox don't have the rights and 1HD didn't show it last year due to the contract disputes.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Given his form and all that, I think that he'd gun it in IPL too - not sure if he's gonna be available though, after playing tests and all that.

unam

U19 12th Man
.......what?
since IPL has started, players hardly care about international cricket especially those who have IPL contracts. Malinga retired from test cricket, Gayle isn't interested in playing for west indies anymore, Zaheer Khan is injured through out the year then suddenly gets fit when IPL starts etc now Ryder... he can't play for New Zeland but he can play in IPL??:@
I don't hate T20s. They bring money in the game but there should be some regulations to stop players from skipping International cricket for leagues like IPL.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Pretty sure $$$ will do his mental health a world of good, which is the reason he took a break from all cricket.

I'm not being cynical either: financial security never hurts, and constant droppings and recalls which caused wild swings in income for the Vincent household didn't do Lou Vincent any good, according to the man himself on a TV interview he did.

Besides, Jesse is hardly a dead cert for the test side anyway.

Spark

Global Moderator
since IPL has started, players hardly care about international cricket especially those who have IPL contracts. Malinga retired from test cricket, Gayle isn't interested in playing for west indies anymore, Zaheer Khan is injured through out the year then suddenly gets fit when IPL starts etc now Ryder... he can't play for New Zeland but he can play in IPL??:@
I don't hate T20s. They bring money in the game but there should be some regulations to stop players from skipping International cricket for leagues like IPL.
You've named four examples which actually don't have that much to do with players placing IPL above international duties there.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Back in the 1920's/1930's/etc it was hardly uncommon for Australian cricketers to leave Australian cricket to go play in the professional Lancashire leagues, making more money in a season or two than they ever would had they stayed in Australia. Don Bradman threatened to quit cricket because he got offered a newspaper column which the ACB disapproved of. In the 1970's a little thing called world series cricket happened, which gutted the standard of test cricket for a year or two.

International cricket is still around.

I'm not gonna bother talking about your examples, because they're pretty lousy. But these guys are professionals, they have families to support. The choice between a $80,000 contract for 12 months work and a $800,000 contract for a month or two is a pretty easy one isn't it? It's annoying that the highest standard of cricket is not the most well paid standard of cricket, but it's never been, and never will be. International cricket, and it's players, will always have the battle between playing at the top, and doing what's best for themselves, floating around. And whatever the result of the battle, international cricket will be still be around.

Last edited:

unam

U19 12th Man
You've named four examples which actually don't have that much to do with players placing IPL above international duties there.
These four are well know players. plus they are not just average random cricketers. I am sure there are tons for players at domestic level who would be trying to get IPL contract rather then trying to make room for them selves in their national teams. and as far as these four goes, if a player is available for IPL but not for his country, for whatever reason, what would you assume from that?
do you really think Malinga quit test cricket because his body can't handle test cricket pressure?
Why does Zaheer khan always get fit around IPL time?

Spark

Global Moderator
I need to take one look at Malinga's action and the financial situation of the average SL cricketer to be perfectly convinced by his explanation.