• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chris Cairns: Super Cheat..?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Assuming that Cairns is proven guilty,what could happen as a result of it,other than serious damage to his credibility?

Or are we looking at a jail term here?

His playing days are over,so he can't be banned.What other possibilities are there?
It's a civil court so the worst that can happen to him is he'll be ordered to pay Modi's costs - and I know from personal experience that "Rough Ron" is ****ing expensive

Athlai

Not Terrible
Cairns shouldn't be proven "guilty" as he is the one suing Modi for making false accusations. If he loses though he'll look like **** and as Tangy said probably have to pay his court costs.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thwaites reveals Modi will NOT be giving evidence in this case
Cairns ushered out of court by his solictor after trying to catch Modi's eye after hearing he will not be giving evidence
He looked very angry and ready to confront Modi before his solictor stepped in
Cairns did not say anything and has not returned to court at this stage

u mad chris?

fredfertang

Rough Ron must be very confident - he's one clever bloke so it's looking a bit bleak for Cairns

Flem274*

123/5
I don't really care if he fixed some stupid 20/20 tournament no one cared about, but I'll be ****ing gutted if Cairns is all but proven guilty because it will cast huge doubts over his performances in real international cricket.

Did Cairns fix international matches? I guess we'll never know, but it's awful to even consider.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't really care if he fixed some stupid 20/20 tournament no one cared about, but I'll be ****ing gutted if Cairns is all but proven guilty because it will cast huge doubts over his performances in real international cricket.

Did Cairns fix international matches? I guess we'll never know, but it's awful to even consider.
NZ don't need to fix matches to lose them bro.

Flem274*

123/5
NZ don't need to fix matches to lose them bro.
You're only as good as your last test against a non-minnow.:ph34r:

(India is included in minnows btw)

edit: I really shouldn't have chosen this as a comeback.

NZ aren't minnows, you Australian bastard! etc etc

Last edited:

fredfertang

Would like to see exactly what Andrew Hall had to say for himself - on the basis of the cricinfo report he seems to have been more help to Cairns than Modi - either that or Rough Ron is a better lawyer than I am which, come to think of it he is, many times over tbf

Cruxdude

International Debutant

Yeah. That is the sad part of this trial. Considering how rampant fixing was in the 90s you can never discount that,

BeeGee

International Captain
Cairns v Modi: Cairns fury at Modi silence | Cricket News | Global | ESPN Cricinfo

Hall, the former South Africa international, succeeded Cairns as captain of the Chandigarh Lions in the ICL. He admitted that he had concerns that Cairns had been framed by the Indian players in the team and was worried about the same being done to him.

In his witness statement, Hall said Cairns had told him and Jock Campbell, the team's strength and conditioning coach, that he had been "made a scapegoat". The discussion came after a meeting that led to Cairns' dismissal from the ICL and Hall went on to confront the local players in the Chandigarh team, saying he would not put up with them trying to "destroy" him too.

Asked by Andrew Caldecott QC, "Did it ever cross your mind that Cairns was being set up?" Hall replied: "Yes".
Interesting to say the least. :blink:

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
Wait what.. as you quoted

Hall, the former South Africa international, succeeded Cairns as captain of the Chandigarh Lions in the ICL. He admitted that he had concerns that Cairns had been framed by the Indian players in the team and was worried about the same being done to him.

In his witness statement, Hall said Cairns had told him and Jock Campbell, the team's strength and conditioning coach, that he had been "made a scapegoat". The discussion came after a meeting that led to Cairns' dismissal from the ICL and Hall went on to confront the local players in the Chandigarh team, saying he would not put up with them trying to "destroy" him too.

Asked by Andrew Caldecott QC, "Did it ever cross your mind that Cairns was being set up?" Hall replied: "Yes".
Cairns is going to win this...

Modi is a snake.. you can even see some mass editing going on his wikipedia page to remove ANY talk that does not make him look like a snake.. which is hardly suprizing this he has his own webpage tooting his own horn saying how hes the most amazing person in India

social

Wait what.. as you quoted

Cairns is going to win this...

Modi is a snake.. you can even see some mass editing going on his wikipedia page to remove ANY talk that does not make him look like a snake.. which is hardly suprizing this he has his own webpage tooting his own horn saying how hes the most amazing person in India
If Cairns was guilty (and everything I've heard says that he wasnt), then why the **** would he go the time and expense of suing a guy in the High Court

My gut feel is that Modi made baseless comments at a time when his monstrous ego would have him believe that he was untouchable

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

If Cairns was guilty (and everything I've heard says that he wasnt), then why the **** would he go the time and expense of suing a guy in the High Court

My gut feel is that Modi made baseless comments at a time when his monstrous ego would have him believe that he was untouchable
Exactly, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the statements from the ICL players that have stood against Cairns may have been paid for as well. How many guys have sued for libel in London and come out losing. Huge risk to take if you're not squeaky clean.

fredfertang

Exactly, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the statements from the ICL players that have stood against Cairns may have been paid for as well. How many guys have sued for libel in London and come out losing. Huge risk to take if you're not squeaky clean.
Alan Lamb and Ian Botham the two obvious examples - still can't understand why Modi called Hall to give evidence and then gave none himself - or why Hall wasn't called by Cairns - but I'm satisfied from what I've read that Cairns has done nothing wrong

HeathDavisSpeed

On whom does the burden of proof lie in a libel case? Does Cairns has to categorically prove that Modi's statements were a fabrication? If so, surely Cairns will struggle to prove the required standard?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just as a legal aside, as he seemed so annoyed at Modi not giving evidence as part of his defence, why couldn't (or wouldn't) Cairns's legal bods make Modi take the stand?

I get most of my knowledge of the inner workings of the law from Rumpole re-runs and American series of varying quality, so have no real idea of what actually goes on.