• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Goodbye RT Ponting 'the ODI player' - you were a legend.

Ruckus

International Captain
Watching him in the one dayers was like watching him struggle in Tests over the past few years. In the past six months, he's batted within himself early, gotten in and hasn't tried to necessarily "impose" himself on the game straight away like he did when he was at his peak.

However, the nature of the one day game means that he has to go out there with that alpha-batsman attitude and take the game on straight away, and he's struggled again.
I dunno about that. In the last match he was clearly trying to work himself into the game, but he looked probably the worst he has the entire series...it was just a terrible, terrible innings. I think what your saying has some truth to it though, but I think it's a bit more general - it looks to me like he just has no confidence in his game. He doesn't seem to trust himself to be able to go out there and bat naturally and play his shots, so he ends up really struggling to find any rhythm (regardless of whether he is trying to be more defensive or more attacking). In the test series, there definately were a lot of improvements, but even once he was set I still didn't think he looked particularly fluent...still looked like he was thinking too much out there.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
you would hope he doesnt pull the pin on test cricket, but surely he will. why book a press conference to say you arent retiring.
nah certain it'll be 'yep imma retire from OD cricket. see you in the WI'.

now he might say "and WI will be my last series" but straight out retirement. no way.

Burgey

Ah Ricky.

Had all the shots, and was never afraid to play them. What a player.

Spark

Global Moderator
Ah Ricky.

Had all the shots, and was never afraid to play them. What a player.
I know that he's mostly known for his pull shot, and then his on-drive and back foot punch through cover point, but he play(ed) one shot that I've never seen anyone pull off with such panache: goes on the front foot, sees it a bit short and wide, moves his weight slightly back so it's slightly on his back foot, sets himself and hammers it through point.

This is a decent example. This is even better. This too.

Last edited:

Riggins

International Captain
I know that he's mostly known for his pull shot, and then his on-drive and back foot punch through cover point, but he play(ed) one shot that I've never seen anyone pull off with such panache: goes on the front foot, sees it a bit short and wide, moves his weight slightly back so it's slightly on his back foot, sets himself and hammers it through point.

This is a decent example. This is even better.
same link?

ganeshran

International Debutant
It says in the article that either Ponting or Inverarity could make the call. But couldnt he have had a chat with Ponting (1-2 days before) informing about the selectors decision to drop him and that he had a couple of days to take a call (before this information went public).

I know I am speculating and that scenario might have been exactly what happened, but just feel that Ponting retiring on his own would have looked much better than the chief selector very publicly dropping him.

Last edited:

Burgey

This is a decent example. This is even better. This too.
Happy to say I was there that day with the young bloke, and the shot you're speaking of was the best of the day from either of them. It's magical because you just rarely see it.

Spikey

It says in the article that either Ponting or Inverarity could make the call. But couldnt he have had a chat with Ponting (1-2 days before) informing about the selectors decision to drop him and that he had a couple of days to take a call (before this information went public).

I know I am speculating and that scenario might have been exactly what happened, but just feel that Ponting retiring on his own would have looked much better than the chief selector very publicly dropping him.
no not really. you can't delay naming a squad for 2 days just to make ponting look better.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Ponting has said all along he'd rather be dropped than tapped.
That would be fine if he backs himself to make a comeback in the team.

But if he retires after getting dropped, wouldnt a tap achieve the same purpose (with much lesser public discussion) on how he was forced out?

Burgey

no not really. you can't delay naming a squad for 2 days just to make ponting look better.
Australia isn't the only country to which this applies, it should be said. I still think Steve Waugh's "farewell tour" stings the powers that be a little. It was quite a distraction that summer.

Ponting is such an ornery character, if he'd been tapped on the shoulder before Brisbane he'd just as likely have come out and made 120 off 85. If they were going to drop him, they've done it in the proper way, without fear or favour. It's how it should be, even for one so great as him.

Burgey

That 78 Ponting made in that 3rd clip Spark linked was one of Ponting's best knocks I think, given the way everyone struggled up to that point.

Typical stupid English crowd behaviour too, it should be said :ph34r:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Retiring from ODIs really makes a lot of sense even if he is not doing in it on his own terms, have already convinced myself he will definetly be here for the ashes, would be sorely dissapointed if he isn't.