• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket that two people on the forum care about

ganeshran

International Debutant
Interesting how people in America are fighting for the freedom to carry guns in public while the Singapore government even bans chewing gum because they make the city dirty

stumpski

International Captain
World Cricket League Division 8 can go here can't it? They're up to the semi-finals now - Ghana v Japan and Belgium v Vanuatu. Samoa, featuring 45-year-old Murphy Su'a, haven't made it - perhaps because he no longer bowls.

Nice to see a majority of indigenous players in the Japan squad btw. Could the Far East be a more realistic growth area than North America?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As far as I can see 8 Malaysians in their team and 2 Singapore born in theirs. Say what you want about Malaysia - I do and I live here - they support and promote their own, good or bad.
We support and promote our own too, it's just that the expats who come down are simply better.

There are Singaporeans coming through the age groups now though, in the recent ACC T20 tournament there were at least 5 who learnt all their cricket here,

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
We support and promote our own too, it's just that the expats who come down are simply better.

There are Singaporeans coming through the age groups now though, in the recent ACC T20 tournament there were at least 5 who learnt all their cricket here,
The expats in Malaysia are far better also. I'm not arguing good or bad. Malaysia wants its own to rep the nation and feels strongly about it. Winning with a team of expats wouldn't and, given the political climate, couldn't happen.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The expats in Malaysia are far better also. I'm not arguing good or bad. Malaysia wants its own to rep the nation and feels strongly about it. Winning with a team of expats wouldn't and, given the political climate, couldn't happen.
Oh, didn't know that. Perhaps England should learn from that.. :ph34r:

Singapore is pretty shameless in that regard, most of our olympic medals are won by imports for example.

Chubb

International Regular
Interesting conversation about expats and developing your own. When was the last time Arul Suppiah played for Malaysia?

I went to uni with a guy who plays for Finland now. He was born there, Finnish dad and British mum, raised in Lincolnshire, but lives in Finland and did national service for them. He is the only Finnish guy on the team. The rest are Afghans. Of course, it might appear from a cursory look at the scorecards he learned cricket in Finland but he didn't.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Yeah, the irony is often that the players with the right sounding names often have been abroad, while the expat Pakistanis/Afghans have played the sport for years in the country they represent.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Malaysia actually has a pretty robust domestic scene. School cricket exists. League cricket is taken quite serious and the State cricket has money in it for players. Kuala Lumpur also has 4 beautiful, international calibre. It is light years ahead of other small cricketing nation in that regard. However, it is hurt by the fact that the Indian community (about 10% of pop) isn't that interested and the system doesn't produce many good Malay cricketers.

Last edited: