• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test Cricket Bowling; India v Pak v NZ v WI

L Trumper

State Regular
Indian attack is actually very good one for the future. In SC they can play Ashwin, Ojha, Yadav, Praveen. On away tests also Praveen, Yadav, Ashwin, Ishanth(or some other toast of the tour they will unleash once in a while).

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Indian attack is actually very good one for the future. In SC they can play Ashwin, Ojha, Yadav, Praveen. On away tests also Praveen, Yadav, Ashwin, Ishanth(or some other toast of the tour they will unleash once in a while).
If anything Ishant should only be a home pick; he is absolute crap outside India.

Beleg

International Regular
Not convinced by Swann?

no, i am not. he seems like a canny fella but i'd like to see more instances of him dominating the opposition and running through a batting line-up. that's not really his role, perhaps, within the present english bowling setup

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Whom do you drop though, Yadav? Nonetheless they have good attak in indian conditions, and okay attack outside SC. But batting is cluster **** now.
Nope. I just wouldn't pick Sharma at all - all I'm saying is that it makes no sense to pick him in away matches only.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Wouldn't pick him on surfaces with even bounce or green tops. Can be a handful on pitches with uneven bounce - if he manages to fix some of the things that have gone wrong with his bowling. Shouldn't be playing for India anywhere atm.

Jacknife

International Captain
no, i am not. he seems like a canny fella but i'd like to see more instances of him dominating the opposition and running through a batting line-up. that's not really his role, perhaps, within the present english bowling setup
Mate he's got 11 5fer's and a 10fer in 36 tests, he got 9 wickets in his last test which was against India, just because the pacers have done the business lately, can't see what else he can do.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mate he's got 11 5fer's and a 10fer in 36 tests, he got 9 wickets in his last test which was against India, just because the pacers have done the business lately, can't see what else he can do.
Yeah but India were shot, the groundstaff could have concreted the Oval and India would have still been too busy waving their white flag to have batted well. Playing India away from their cosy slow and low ****e at home doesn't much resemble Test cricket at the moment. It's just a slaughter.

And despite that 9-fer, he averaged 40 for the series.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Haha, It's one thing saying Swann will do for England as they have an embarrassment of fast bowling riches anyway who're destroying batting line-ups.

However because he will do right now does not mean he has got to a stage where one can't see what else he can do.

While he certainly is the best spinner in the world and therefore would make a World XI, That's more due to lack of a genuinely very good spinner in the world right now than anything, IMO.

flibbertyjibber

While he certainly is the best spinner in the world and therefore would make a World XI, That's more due to lack of a genuinely very good spinner in the world right now than anything, IMO.
Too right it is. Same as the England team as a whole. Compare them against the great Aussie or WI teams and man for man not many England players would be selected. Not Swann's or the current crops fault that the rest of the world aren't up to much at present though.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Too right it is. Same as the England team as a whole. Compare them against the great Aussie or WI teams and man for man not many England players would be selected. Not Swann's or the current crops fault that the rest of the world aren't up to much at present though.
No, the English side are a quality side. James Anderson right now is genuinely a high quality bowler, If he replicated the form he has shown over the last two years for six more or so, He'd be an ATG bowler. Broad had one of the best bowling series of all-time against India in England also averaging about 40 with the bat. The batting has been dominating.

My only issue is with Swann tbh, I really really rate the English side.

flibbertyjibber

No, the English side are a quality side. James Anderson right now is genuinely a high quality bowler, If he replicated the form he has shown over the last two years for six more or so, He'd be an ATG bowler. Broad had one of the best bowling series of all-time against India in England also averaging about 40 with the bat. The batting has been dominating.

My only issue is with Swann tbh, I really really rate the English side.
Can't see Jimmy lasting that long, love it if he did as he'd clearly be England's all time leading wicket taker and would be close to 500 by then.

We are a bloody good side but I don't think we are great like the other 2 were.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Can't see Jimmy lasting that long, love it if he did as he'd clearly be England's all time leading wicket taker and would be close to 500 by then.

We are a bloody good side but I don't think we are great like the other 2 were.
Yeah, I can't see it either. It was a point to tell how highly rate the new Jimmy.

Yes, you're not as good as the other two sides.

All I want to say is, I don't rate Swann particularly highly but that does not mean I don't rate the team as a whole, the ridiculous things they've done over the past 13 months and other players of the team. :p

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
See no reason why Anderson can't continue bowling at a similar level for at least 3 or 4 years.

No one is going to claim England are anywhere near those two sides, they have only been good for 5 minutes but there are a couple of players who if they maintain their dramatic improvements (thinking Bell and Broad in particular) could finish their careers being very highly regarded indeed.

As for the question it is far too early to say and I maybe falling for the Hobart hype but think it might prove to be New Zealand. India probably adequate enough at home to still win matches though.

Would take Pakistan right now though.

Last edited:

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Nah, I was saying that Swann IS one of the best spinners of recent times, and that to say otherwise just shows how spoiled the English are for bowling options at the mo.