• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sangakkara and Dale Steyn retain 2011 ICC top spots

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
My exact thoughts. They're the last 3 or 4 years aren't they?
Haha they're a lot more complicated than even that. It doesn't just rank players based on how many runs they've scored or wickets they've taken in Period X; it factors in the number of matches the individual has played, the number of matches the team has played, the standard of the opposition, the other scores in the match and lots of other things.

I haven't really looked into too closely but personally I'm not that big of it and reckon I've come up with a better system. But really, anyone who creates their own system and weights each aspect exactly how he or she thinks it should be weighted is going to think it's the best, so it's not a great wrap. :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Do you actually feed ODI stuff into CPL for kicks?

It would be interesting to see what it has to say.
The lack of games the minnows play and the fact that they play against themselves mostly would throw up some really, really weird results I think; but then again the ICC ODI rankings do that with some of the minnow players too. I'd probably just decide that only games between the top 11 teams or something were actually ODIs, but even then Bangladesh and Zimbabwe playing each other so much would mean they both became over-rated as oppositions.

It'd be reasonably quick to do an international one I think because I get that stuff automatically; I'd just need to change my code. Domestic stuff is done largely manually though so it'd take me ages to incorporate that (again though; not that the ICC ratings do that either :p).

smash84

The Tiger King
+1

That's what makes Murali a bloody brilliant bowler. I am quite sure that he spent highest % of his career cracking over 800 compared to contemporary bowlers. May be McGrath has edge over him, but any other spinner I am not sure.
Has to be in top 3 in terms of that/....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
+1
While one cannot totally rate a player based on the ratings, I does offer some insight into a players career and stats.
Wasim Akram for example is universally lauded, he never cracked the 900 ratings barrier because of his disproportionately high number of lower order wickets taken. It doesn't make him a bad bowler, just makes us take a second look or ask more questions.
Also, I note Sachin Tendulkar has never gone over 900.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I know full well it's 898 because I looked, but as that is less than the figure of 900 brought up by kyear I thought it quite an interesting thing to see, especially when 8 of his contemporaries have exceeded 900.

What do you mean by it being overlooked?