Cricket Player Manager
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Greatness and Longevity

To me, picking points in a player's career to paint him in better light than his entire career does smacks more of stats-mongering than anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    To me, picking points in a player's career to paint him in better light than his entire career does smacks more of stats-mongering than anything else.
    I'd agree, but equally with someone like Waqar the whole of his career up until his injury was borderline superhuman & when he came back he was still an effective test perfromer, but had lost some of his previous nip.

It's not stats-mongering to my way of thinking to say he was an AT great bowler prior to an injury and merely a very good one thereafter. I'd say to solely judge a player's merit on their overall average devoid of context is closer to what I'd understand by the term.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

International Debutant Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    I'd agree, but equally with someone like Waqar the whole of his career up until his injury was borderline superhuman & when he came back he was still an effective test perfromer, but had lost some of his previous nip.
    Not really. Waqar was pretty ineffective on a lot of important tours after 98.- India 99, West Indies 00, England 01 and South Africa 02.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    i think Brumby is talking about Waqar's major back injury in 1994. Waqar was pretty good from 1994-98
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

This thread makes me for Shane Bond.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information