• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dravid lacked courage to revolt & Chappel being in Oz camp hardly matters: Ganguly

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone who says Dravid was a better captain than ganguly didn't watch any cricket. Captaincy also involves man management. Indian cricket would not have gotten to #1 under dhoni without ganguly.
i didn't say that dravid was better than ganguly...but just because dravid was an average captain doesn't make ganguly a great captain...he was clearly not...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah but that is the argument. We're not discussing was Ganguly a great captain.

We're discussing did he do more for Indian cricket as captain than Dravid did. Alternatively, could Dravid have done more if he was captain in 2000.

chicane

State Captain
No point to Chappell's team talk - Ganguly

Firstly, lol at the SMH calling Ganguly an "Indian agitator".

Secondly, he's a big fan of Dinda. Not happy with how the Indian team have handled Ishant.

As the tourists deal with a serious ankle injury to Sharma, Ganguly has questioned why uncapped Bengal paceman Ashok Dinda was not included in the original touring party to Australia.
Dinda is tipped to be drafted into the squad as cover for Sharma, who remains in doubt for the Boxing Day Test and could yet return home.
''Dinda is India's best pace bowler right now and should have been on that plane to Australia in the first place with rest of the squad,'' Ganguly said.
Hahaha Indian agitator. Hahahahahaha Ashok "best in India" Dinda.

chicane

State Captain
Ganguly was (and still is) a **** but he brought about a big attitude change in the team, which was some of the groundwork for India's subsequent success. IMO he instilled a positive attitude in the team, plus confidence and mental toughness. Backed his players strongly - Zaheer, Sehwag, Yuvraj, VVS, Irfan, Harbhajan. Some of those guys are also a major part of the reason for India's success.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah but that is the argument. We're not discussing was Ganguly a great captain.

We're discussing did he do more for Indian cricket as captain than Dravid did. Alternatively, could Dravid have done more if he was captain in 2000.
No, I don't think Dravid would have done that. I don't think Dravid could stand up to those selectors and tell them that their way of picking teams was crap. This is not his personality and character and I think that's what Ganguly is trying to say about the Dravid/Greg Chappel issue.

Ganguly was the best man to lead India in 2000. There is no doubt that he did more for India as captain than Dravid .

smash84

The Tiger King
Ganguly was (and still is) a **** but he brought about a big attitude change in the team, which was some of the groundwork for India's subsequent success. IMO he instilled a positive attitude in the team, plus confidence and mental toughness. Backed his players strongly - Zaheer, Sehwag, Yuvraj, VVS, Irfan, Harbhajan. Some of those guys are also a major part of the reason for India's success.
awta

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
This was a clear case of cultural divide and the more people speak about this, the more the issue gets complicated. It is a very simple case of culture clash. Greg Chappell belongs to a culture where a non performing players has to make way for a younger player regardless of his stature, experience, achievements, runs, averages etc.
Healy, Katich, Martyn, Hayden, Mark Waugh, and now possibly Ponting and Hussey.

That is not how it works in the subcontinent. If Ganguly or Harbhajan or Zaheer do not perform, or if Sehwag and Zaheer do not work hard enough on their fitness, you cannot drop them. That is the culture in the subcontinent.

Now most people do not understand this and the more they speak, the more crap that comes out. Chappell did not have any personal agenda against anyone. He was just implementing something which he has learned growing up in Australia. He did not realize that this was a whole new culture he was dealing with where things happen differently.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Funny you say that since Chappell refuses to admit that ponting should be dropped despite underperforming for 4 years.

ganeshran

International Debutant
But Chappell was also fired by Cricket Australia. There was no cultural divide there.

And its not true that players are undroppable in the subcontintent. Gambhir was dropped, Sehwag was dropped before they came back stronger. Harby is dropped now.

Players who have class always get a longer leash than others - its because they have the capability to bounce back. Ponting averages 38 over the last 5 years - yet he is not dropped from the team for the same reason.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Ponting is a rare case in Australia...I am not aware of Greg Chappell's take on Ponting but Ian Chappel had said after the Ashes last year that Ponting's time was up and no point having him in the team.

Harbhajan was dropped after a very long time when he had been dreadful in test cricket for quite some time.

I am not favouring one side over the other here, just stating that there are two different cultures, two different ways of thinking etc. I do not think India would be better off by dropping Ganguly, Zaheer and Sehwag.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm not that au fait with the ins and outs of Chappell's time in India, other than it obviously didn't work.

But I disagree with Ganguly about Chappell being in the Australian camp not mattering. Sadly for us, I think he's influential on the players :(