• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ Test Match Summer News and Thoughts

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
We were the second best team in the world at one stage in the 80s. Almost displaced the Windies at the top too. Had a couple quality series both home and away against the #1s.
Overstating. Only toured Wi in 1986 and got creamed 2-0. Pakistan were probably better than us for pretty much the entire decade as well. They certainly hammered us in Pakistan, and the only series in NZ that I can remember was the narrow 2-1 win when Wasim made his debut and nearly knocked Lance's block off. But we were head and shoulders above oz and england in the mid 80's and were unbeatable at home.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Overstating. Only toured Wi in 1986 and got creamed 2-0. Pakistan were probably better than us for pretty much the entire decade as well. They certainly hammered us in Pakistan, and the only series in NZ that I can remember was the narrow 2-1 win when Wasim made his debut and nearly knocked Lance's block off. But we were head and shoulders above oz and england in the mid 80's and were unbeatable at home.
When I say we were second in the world I mean it, we were second in the world rankings.

Mike5181

International Captain
Surely if Ryder is out, New Zealand will go with 5 bowlers. I don't think that would be the right option but makes sense if Watling would be the only other alternative.
Yeah, it'll most likely just be a straight swap with Vettori for Ryder.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Just watching the replay of us getting up over the Aussies. Great stuff.

After watching India bat against the Aussies I don't feel so bad about our batting against them in the 1st test. Maybe the Aussie bowling is just very good.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
With all the rain since Christmas, I suppose it's good that the International summer doesn't start for another month.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
^ I am in Wanganui atm. Snap.

Staying in a $190 a night hotel with "free" broadband access and a spa bath. Two tvs one in the living room and one in the bedroom. 6 people turned up for housekeeping duties.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
But you're still in Whanganui.
Went to the Wanganui Museum today - fascinating stuff. Funny thing is - they had a classroom from 1939 set up. I was amused to see the desks were the same ones I had in 1977.

I was in your home town New Plymouth earlier this week. Taranaki had some billboard up encouraging people to move there. Will have to become a centre of commerce before I move.

Would be cool to grow up there.

Discussed cricket was a cousin on mine (required cricket content for post in CC)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Probably because you are an aussie and your team has achieved more.
Haha nah has nothing to do with that; I didn't mean it in a patronising-being-#2-way. It's just that Bahnz had decided to debate something Athlai presented as/meant as a stone cold fact as if it was an opinion-based thing; then got shot down. I don't know why it tickled my fancy so much; it just did. :p

Kinda like this.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Haha nah has nothing to do with that; I didn't mean it in a patronising-being-#2-way. It's just that Bahnz had decided to debate something Athlai presented as/meant as a stone cold fact as if it was an opinion-based thing; then got shot down. I don't know why it tickled my fancy so much; it just did. :p

Kinda like this.
Sounds like someone's still drunk from last night. :laugh: