• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mahela Vs Sanga, who is better

Mahela or Sanga

• Total voters

mono

U19 Debutant
I'm going to go with mahela. Sanga is probably more reliable, but mahela has that seemingly lazy elegance that makes him special.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was just thinking this myself. Mahela probably comes out on top for me as he just plays some glorious cricket strokes. Sanga may average more and be better in the eyes of many but for for be it is almost like Beauty and the Beast watching them bat together so I choose Beauty.

cnerd123

likes this
Sanga's not bad on the eyes either...Jaya looks effortless but Sanga on song is a treat as well.

Sanga for me. Jaya just goes missing too often.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mahela on song is better than almost anybody so will give him my vote.
When he is on song only Ian Bell of the last couple of years comes anywhere near looking as technically brilliant and as good to watch. My idea of heaven in the series next year would be an England win but Mahela to score a ton in each test. Just love watching him bat.

Himannv

International Coach
When he is on song only Ian Bell of the last couple of years comes anywhere near looking as technically brilliant and as good to watch. My idea of heaven in the series next year would be an England win but Mahela to score a ton in each test. Just love watching him bat.
Yeah I quite like watching Bell as well. Players like these are like a breath of fresh air.

DriveClub

International Regular
Mahela's very poor outside his comfort zone and his 192 was one of the best innings I ever watched batting with the tail.

Lostman

State Captain
As purely test batsmen Sanga easily.

Even if you take into account LOI performances, captaincy, fielding etc, Sanga is still the better cricketer.

mono

U19 Debutant
As purely test batsmen Sanga easily.

Even if you take into account LOI performances, captaincy, fielding etc, Sanga is still the better cricketer.
Mahela is far better captain than sanga. Even sanga admits this

Satguru

Banned
Sanga easily for me too, and on song, imo he looks better even than Mahela. Those down-on-one-knee drives of his... wow

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'm going with Sangakkara for this one - wonderfully elegant when he gets goingand I think he just seems like a tougher batsman than Jayawardene.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I adore Mahela.

No-one in the world bats like he does, a classically elegant batsman who scores quickly and stylishly, and remains world class in all formats. And he's one of the best captains of the last decade.

The interesting thing about him is that even though Tests are his better format, it's in the shorter forms where he becomes so special - nobody can give us an ODI ton like Mahela can. And in T20 he scored a remarkable hundred in Guyana. On a pitch where hardly anyone else could get it off the square, he was stroking the ball to the boundary time and time again, as though he were playing with a bunch of schoolchildren. He can be one of those batsman that can just seem better than everyone on the field by a huge margin.

I don't usually care that much for limited overs cricket, and Mahela is one of very few cricketers who can make me.

So for now I will bin my rational hat (seeing as I can't make a case against what Sanga has achieved with the bat, especially over the last four years) and vote for him.