Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Aussie full time selector announced in one hour.....

Yeah look I agree in part. Names like Hohns, Benaud and Sawle do show it can be done. So I'm not saying Invers will be a failure, just that with the professionalism of the game and the fact you could be telling a guy who was on a $million a year that he'd now unemployed that every little bit of cred is valuable.

I do believe that the step up from FC to Test level is huge and so if you haven't actually lived it for a long time it would be hard to appreciate (but then what would I know eh?) so having that experience would be very valuable. But in the end the selectors job is to put a winning team on the paddock so all the qualities you've mentioned are front and centre. So long as the team is winning and a credible group of replacements are available then the selectors will look like geniuses. I'd just like to add a couple more qualities and experience if possible.

Well, I guess me wanting Hohns reinstalled in the job shows that you don't need to have been a great player or played that many Tests to be a decent selector. My rationale for wanting Hohns there though was a proven track record. He's done the job in the past, and most believe he did it well. Now, Invers may do a sterling job, but someone with a good track record in that actual role who is still involved in the game would in my view be a far safer pair of hands.
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

And that was my rationale for wanting somebody like Rod Marsh installed instead of Pat Howard. Yes, Howard may do a great job, but guys like Marsh have proven track records in that sort of co-ordinating/overseeing role.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    .....a thread about what makes a good selector would be interesting. Communication, brains, common sense, knowledge about the game would all be there. I'm not sure about being a test legend....You don't become a cricket genius just because you're lucky enough to play 60 tests. I mean Greg Chappell......
    start a thread or STFU.

100+ tests is my #1 requirement ftr.

sorry to be an arse

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    but really. given all the talent managers and that sort of stuff we have nowadays I don't really see what benefit a test history is for the selectors? I mean obviously it's nice, but you know a history of teaching or something like that is probably more use. presumably the 'youth talent managers' are reporting to the selectors about the young kids going about and their technical flaws and what not and so are other people. the selectors are just gathering 'round and picking a team based on reports, statistics and that sort of stuff. More fact based than opinion essentially. So you need people a) willing to accept and make judgements based on facts b) able to actually communicate.

but maybe i'm going down the wrong line here.
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

In all seriousness I think his biggest job is to say, **** the stats, this guy is a gun lets use him.

U19 Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by adub View Post
    So long as the team is winning and a credible group of replacements are available then the selectors will look like geniuses. I'd just like to add a couple more qualities and experience if possible.
    He might place a bit more value on performances in our state comps than anyone else who has been selecting seems to.

He's had a lot of experience at man-management, you can't be a principal of a good quality school or a county coach or a skipper without learning that.

But no-one can magic up the cattle if they aren't there. If Hilditch hadn't been such a bull**** artist in the press, I would have felt sorry for him on that count.

magic up cattle **** me dead

U19 Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    magic up cattle **** me dead
    Do you think that there are brilliant players that they haven't been selecting?

Quote Originally Posted by adub View Post
    Certainly I don't think anyone would be looking at someone like Andrew Symonds as someone you want holding players careers in their hands, but equally if I were a guy with over 50 tests under my belt (or 150 in Punter's case) I reckon it would be pretty hard to cop some nuffy who never really made it calling time on my career. It's just about having the credibility to make these sorts of calls. If someone like AB, Tubby or Tugga says that's it mate, well that's a very different kettle of fish to someone who jagged a couple of tests 40 years ago no matter how worthy his FC career was. Even guys a step below those three will have the credibility and be closer to the current game. Lawson, Jones, Junior etc would have this cred with current players.

I wish John well and hope he is a huge improvement on Hilditch, but I'm not jumping for joy about the selection either. I'll wait and see.
    Haha, worst attitude.

but really. given all the talent managers and that sort of stuff we have nowadays I don't really see what benefit a test history is for the selectors? I mean obviously it's nice, but you know a history of teaching or something like that is probably more use. presumably the 'youth talent managers' are reporting to the selectors about the young kids going about and their technical flaws and what not and so are other people. the selectors are just gathering 'round and picking a team based on reports, statistics and that sort of stuff. More fact based than opinion essentially. So you need people a) willing to accept and make judgements based on facts b) able to actually communicate.

More relevant is: Have you done the job before? Were you good? Are you a current applicant? Very hard to look past someone who ticks those three boxes (THohns). You really have to be an exceptional candidate to dislodge someone who ticks those three boxes. Is Inverarity that?

Too much of a 'stab in the dark' with the Howard, Inverarity appointments.

CA, again, trying to be too clever.

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    Funnily enough, I met him when I was on year seven as at that time he was the Headmaster of the high school I eventually would go to. He retired the next year, but he was incredibly highly rated by pretty much everyone as a bloke and worked with Warwickshire with success as well I think.

Yeah for sure. Not meaning to talk in extremes by portraying the guy as a dill. Likely a quality candidate. Just that, in my view, someone like Hohns is a proven commodity who also threw his hat in the ring.

When did Hohns do the job? Because if it's in the roughly 1997-2007, the monkey in benchy's avatar could have done a good job in that era.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    When did Hohns do the job? Because if it's in the roughly 1997-2007, the monkey in benchy's avatar could have done a good job in that era.
    the monkey could have done a good job for 94 years of test cricket, and you're jealous.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information