• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steven Finn

Is he now the fastest ODI bowler in world cricket? I've just noticed that hes bowling consistently in the low-mid 90MPH's and he's played very well in alien conditions (India) despite not having much to show for it.

I reckon his potential is off the roof and could be a fantastic bowler for both ODI's and for tests, fact is he already has 50 wickets and he is still only 22 and has played a limited number of test games.

Do you guys rate Finn?

Woodster

International Captain
Is he now the fastest ODI bowler in world cricket? I've just noticed that hes bowling consistently in the low-mid 90MPH's and he's played very well in alien conditions (India) despite not having much to show for it.

I reckon his potential is off the roof and could be a fantastic bowler for both ODI's and for tests, fact is he already has 50 wickets and he is still only 22 and has played a limited number of test games.

Do you guys rate Finn?
Welcome to CW.

He's certainly up there in terms of consistent high pace, and it will be interesting to see how he goes in first-class cricket and Test cricket, whether he can maintain that kind of pace over the duration of a full day, being used in short bursts, is another question. Of course there's more to top bowling than pace, and I hope his areas can improve aswell. He is a work in progress, a month in New Zealand playing in the Plunkett Shield will also help his development.

I wasn't his biggest fan when he first came into the Test team, and I'm glad he's learning his trade in domestic cricket for now, with the odd foray into Test cricket.

Welcome to CW.

He's certainly up there in terms of consistent high pace, and it will be interesting to see how he goes in first-class cricket and Test cricket, whether he can maintain that kind of pace over the duration of a full day, being used in short bursts, is another question. Of course there's more to top bowling than pace, and I hope his areas can improve aswell. He is a work in progress, a month in New Zealand playing in the Plunkett Shield will also help his development.

I wasn't his biggest fan when he first came into the Test team, and I'm glad he's learning his trade in domestic cricket for now, with the odd foray into Test cricket.
Cheers for the welcome.

From what I've seen of him in India, which is the four games hes played so far, he's done well well despite the conditions. The ten overs he bowls are all of a very good line and length and its very fast aswell, and hes been tight. I think the Indian batsman were quite lucky to have not been out quite a few times more. Considering hes bowled pretty much all his allocated overs at a consistent speed in each match in temperatures of around 35-40*C I don't think stamina is going to be an issue.

The only problem is will he have enough variation in his bowls, can he bowls the slower balls, the yorkers and the bouncers because we've not seen that from him yet. Agreed with the New Zealand stint, that will improve him alot.

England have quite alot of young talent coming through, its a good time to be optimistic. Hopefully Taylor, Bairstow, Butler, Borthwick, Stokes, Finn can all make their mark in the next few years in world cricket.

Woodster

International Captain
Cheers for the welcome.

From what I've seen of him in India, which is the four games hes played so far, he's done well well despite the conditions. The ten overs he bowls are all of a very good line and length and its very fast aswell, and hes been tight. I think the Indian batsman were quite lucky to have not been out quite a few times more. Considering hes bowled pretty much all his allocated overs at a consistent speed in each match in temperatures of around 35-40*C I don't think stamina is going to be an issue.

The only problem is will he have enough variation in his bowls, can he bowls the slower balls, the yorkers and the bouncers because we've not seen that from him yet. Agreed with the New Zealand stint, that will improve him alot.

England have quite alot of young talent coming through, its a good time to be optimistic. Hopefully Taylor, Bairstow, Butler, Borthwick, Stokes, Finn can all make their mark in the next few years in world cricket.
His variations will be more important in his development as an ODI bowler, rather than a Test bowler. He has got through 10 overs in extreme heat, but having to come back for three or four spells of four and five overs at least a time, is another thing. Knowing you've only got 10 overs to bowl maximum in the day, the game, is indeed a different mindset.

He has impressed and has been unlucky in the ODI series'. Want to see him in more four and five day cricket before I form a new opinion on the areas he bowls, when he can settle into a good consistent length.

I agree we do have a lot of exciting talent coming through, especially in one-day cricket. Hope these guys continue making an impact in the County Championship too.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Great pace and very good control..Certainly a future prospect for England.

Off topic - why was the OP banned?

Jacknife

International Captain
Yes, Finn's really impressed me of late, even before this tour when he was playing for Middlesex you could see the improvements he'd made. It's as though he's grown into his body more and he understands better how to get the most out of his action, which isn't surprising really because he's still a young guy at 22. You don't see those floaty 82 mph half volley anymore that he tended to send down, every ball is bowled with purpose and fast.

He was starting to gain pace even in the ODi's after the Ashes, where he was nearly touching 90mph but these last 6 months or so, his effort ball is around 95mph and he's a consistent 90mph bowler who appears to have a lot more control.

Like Woodster said I'm looking forward to see what he does in first class cricket and whether he can force his way back into the side because if he can maintain the pace, he will offer something a bit different to everyone else, even though Broad can bowl around 90mph he was at his best at a touch under that this summer.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Greekscavenger was a multi account of "Indiaregulator" (which has been banned permanently for trolling).

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
India regulator is the guy who was saying nasty stuff about England and then he comes out with this thread. :laugh:
Think he was being sarcastic when he posted as indiaregulator. Mods can check his location anyways to determine where he was from. Not that it matters.

intcricket

U19 12th Man
He's done a good job this series and thinks he's the next Flintoff of bowling, which although slightly overconfident, is something you expect from a 22 year old kid.. Hope he can keep up the consistency and trouble batsmen around the world.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bowled a beauty to get rid of Kohli today
Bowls a lot of very good deliveries that get wickets. Trouble is (see ashes) he bowled a lot of wayward stuff too. He can be forgiven that seeing as he is only 22 now and he learns quickly. Could be a real gem of a bowler in future years should he stay free of the dreaded injuries.

ljinko888

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Been the only real bright spark from this series. He's much quicker and better than he was at the start of the year. He has a good future ahead of him. Oh and #11 with a batting average of 30 :D

ganeshran

International Debutant
Bowls a lot of very good deliveries that get wickets. Trouble is (see ashes) he bowled a lot of wayward stuff too. He can be forgiven that seeing as he is only 22 now and he learns quickly. Could be a real gem of a bowler in future years should he stay free of the dreaded injuries.
He is improving after every series. Good pace and nice bounce. Has a slower delivery and doesnt overbowl too, has all the ingredients to be a perfect ODI bowler IMO