Cricket Player Manager
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: New Feature: The Greatest Test Innings

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    Which is why I rate him so highly. In a very short period itself he was playing those really dominating knocks. One wonders how he would have done if he played for another 8-10 years! He makes it to my all time XI at the expense of Richards, Tendulkar, Lara, Hammond et al.
    must be so gratifying for him!
    Last edited by hang on; 05-12-2011 at 06:00 AM.
    i know i am god. since when i pray i find i am talking to myself.

(massive apologies to barnes)

Quote Originally Posted by hang on View Post
    must be so gratifying for him!
    lol. notsureifsarcastic.

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    He's very lucky. His 248* was against Bangladesh and Zaheer Khan made 70 odd batting at 11!

His 169 was thanks largely to the brilliance of Azharuddin and SRT's 136 while gallant, was in a losing cause where he didn't finish the job. Also, the innings from Afridi in the same match was more amazing.
    Agree on 248* and 169.

136 vs Pakistan did not win India the match which is why I think it is at #119 and not in top 25. However his best knock I think was 155 in SA in Sehwag's debut match
    Last edited by ankitj; 05-12-2011 at 09:18 AM.

In the end though this is a statistical measure so doesn't take into account the stuff about context etc. which really makes an innings great. Otherwise Ponting's 156 and possibly Clarke's 151 (the two best innings by an Aus player I've seen live) would be much, much higher IMO.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hang on View Post
    quite. that man azharuddin was just something else, wasn't he; i mean, who else could bat at both ends? and, of course, afridi's innings was more amazing....facing the might of the indian bowling instead of akram, waqar, saqlain.
    yeah facing the 99 Waqar was really difficult, sure..
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    lol. notsureifsarcastic.
    reallysureitissarcastic

I think hang on might have meant 'grating', not 'gratifying'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

State 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    yeah facing the 99 Waqar was really difficult, sure..
    well, not so in general, but he did bowl a good spell in the closing stages of day 3 in that test.

Saqlain of course was at his very best and Wasim was bowling very well.

State 12th Man
    He's very lucky. His 248* was against Bangladesh and Zaheer Khan made 70 odd batting at 11!
    yes, good innings, but nowhere near any of the best .....

His 169 was thanks largely to the brilliance of Azharuddin
    this is a joke , right ? He was in before Azhar and got out quite some time after him, farming the strike with the tail and helping India avoid follow-on. While Azhar's innings was more daring, Sachin's was easily the better one ....Adam Bacher !!!!!

and SRT's 136 while gallant, was in a losing cause where he didn't finish the job. Also, the innings from Afridi in the same match was more amazing.
    Well, if the job was done, it would've been in the top 20 for sure !

Re: afridi, good joke ..... Nice innings, something that is 'forgotten', but better than the 136 ? hell no !

I think Sachin's 136 was his best.. And the 114 or something he made in Perth in 1992 as his second best. The Capetown knock, while good, is nowhere near these two in my opinion. And there was his 150 odd in Bloemfontein when he batted with Sehwag on debut, think that was much better than the CapeTown knock which was on a flattened out track.

Quote Originally Posted by abmk View Post
    well, not so in general, but he did bowl a good spell in the closing stages of day 3 in that test.

Saqlain of course was at his very best and Wasim was bowling very well.
    Nah... Waqar was so bad that he was dropped soon after. Wasim, while good, was nowhere near his best and was perhaps at the same level as Venky Prasad in that series in those conditions. His ball to Dravid was awesome but his bowling was just that, flashes of brilliance then. Not consistently good as he used to be. Saqlain was easily the real threat.

State 12th Man
    Nah... Waqar was so bad that he was dropped soon after. Wasim, while good, was nowhere near his best and was perhaps at the same level as Venky Prasad in that series in those conditions. His ball to Dravid was awesome but his bowling was just that, flashes of brilliance then. Not consistently good as he used to be. Saqlain was easily the real threat.
    like I said, Waqar had declined, but I do remember him bowling a good spell towards the end of the day 3. Waqar did play the test series in Aus after that IIRC

I think Wasim was bowling quite a bit better than what you are making him out to be. It wasn't just flashes of brilliance, not quite his very best, but still bowling pretty well.

Reg Saqlain, yeah, he was the most threatening easily

State 12th Man
    I think Sachin's 136 was his best.. And the 114 or something he made in Perth in 1992 as his second best. The Capetown knock, while good, is nowhere near these two in my opinion. And there was his 150 odd in Bloemfontein when he batted with Sehwag on debut, think that was much better than the CapeTown knock which was on a flattened out track.
    flattened out track, yeah, but India were tottering at 58/5 vs Donald, McMillan, Pollock, Klusener ... having to get 329 to avoid follow-on. The counter-attack from him and Azhar was too amazing ....

Quote Originally Posted by abmk View Post
    like I said, Waqar had declined, but I do remember him bowling a good spell towards the end of the day 3. Waqar did play the test series in Aus after that IIRC

I think Wasim was bowling quite a bit better than what you are making him out to be. It wasn't just flashes of brilliance, not quite his very best, but still bowling pretty well.

Reg Saqlain, yeah, he was the most threatening easily
    That series in Australia happened before the India series. And Waqar was dropped for Shoaib at Kolkata.

State 12th Man
    That series in Australia happened before the India series. And Waqar was dropped for Shoaib at Kolkata.
    The Aus series in late 99 was after the India series in early 99 ..

I really can't recall now whether Waqar was dropped or had injury problems or whether it was because of some problems with Wasim. Not really sure ...

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread Information