• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** DRS discussion thread

UDRS?

• Total voters

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
Technology if used properly can improve the calls but right now what we have is a shambles, and UDRS make a mockery of some matches.

Look at Bell last week he was plum but the 2.5 mm rule saw him saved even though as Nasser said I dont care if thats 3.5 mm or 4.5 mm that is plum.

If you have technology then go all out and do it properly what we have now is a miserable compromise and I am against it.

Tendulkar_200*

School Boy/Girl Captain
Technology if used properly can improve the calls but right now what we have is a shambles, and UDRS make a mockery of some matches.

Look at Bell last week he was plum but the 2.5 mm rule saw him saved even though as Nasser said I dont care if thats 3.5 mm or 4.5 mm that is plum.

If you have technology then go all out and do it properly what we have now is a miserable compromise and I am against it.

I agree. I am not a fan of UDRS because it clearly is prone to error. If it is used it should be used throughout the match, not this 3 review business.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Yes, fingers crossed.

Since the 2.5m decision against Ian Bell there has been no complaining about the UDRS at all. That was over 3 weeks ago.

The silence is deafening.

biased indian

International Coach
the stats of the UDRS are quite interesting even though there was lot of complaints about the quality of umpiring its still the umpires who are wining only around 30% of the total decisions have been reversed so far

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
the stats of the UDRS are quite interesting even though there was lot of complaints about the quality of umpiring its still the umpires who are wining only around 30% of the total decisions have been reversed so far
That's because of all the tactical referring.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I'd say that's a pretty significant percentage. Or does an umpire only have to get over half his decisions correct to be considered good?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd say that's a pretty significant percentage. Or does an umpire only have to get over half his decisions correct to be considered good?
Thats a misrepresentation of the stats. 30% of the decisions that were referred were overturned. Doesn't say anything about the total percentage of correct decisions by the umpires. Also as PEWS mentioned there were a significant number of tactical referrals.

Personally thought the UDRS, while sometimes stupidly used by teams, was largely successful. Don't think the BCCI will have anything against it now

Howe_zat

Audio File
Personally thought the UDRS, while sometimes stupidly used by teams, was largely successful. Don't think the BCCI will have anything against it now
Agreed, this is probably my only niggle with the UDRS right now. Really bugs me to hear commentators say things like "Oh, they've got to refer that, he's their best batsman". Never mind whether you thought it was a poor decision or anything. Then there's the Sehwags, Watsons and Broads that refer every time they're given out.

I really think they ought to find some way of using the technology to get rid of umpiring mistakes without involving the players. I've said it before, ideally, it should be a team of umpires, some on-field and some in the green room, using the tech to make as many right decisions as possible. I can't think of a way to do this though, so I'll settle for the UDRS as it is.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Agreed, this is probably my only niggle with the UDRS right now. Really bugs me to hear commentators say things like "Oh, they've got to refer that, he's their best batsman". Never mind whether you thought it was a poor decision or anything. Then there's the Sehwags, Watsons and Broads that refer every time they're given out.

I really think they ought to find some way of using the technology to get rid of umpiring mistakes without involving the players. I've said it before, ideally, it should be a team of umpires, some on-field and some in the green room, using the tech to make as many right decisions as possible. I can't think of a way to do this though, so I'll settle for the UDRS as it is.
Surely the batsman is best placed to refer an lbw decision where he's middled it, or a caught behind where he hasn't hit it?

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah the problem I see with the "leave it to the umpires mentality" is pretty simple - if he makes a howler such as missing an inside-edge on an LBW, he isn't going to suddenly realise that he's made a howler, is he? He's just going to think he's correct having not seen the edge and give it out anyway.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
But the third umpire can just say "nah he's actually hit it" couldn't he? On replay?

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
So do you have a pause of play after every single appeal so that the third umpire can check?
We don't have the technology yet where we can find these things out instantaneously.

You could imagine the outrage if an edge was discovered 2-3mins after the appeal, yet play had already been continued.

Also, third umpire making decisions means you still have human error.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Surely the batsman is best placed to refer an lbw decision where he's middled it, or a caught behind where he hasn't hit it?
So do you have a pause of play after every single appeal so that the third umpire can check?

You could imagine the outrage if an edge was discovered 2-3mins after the appeal, yet play had already been continued.

Also, third umpire making decisions means you still have human error.
Yeah, as I said, I can't really see an umpires-only UDRS being feasible. I don't have a massive problem with it as it stands, I'm just saying that tactical referrals continue to irk me.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
I don't really see the problem with tactical referrals really.

Either the decision gets overturned or you waste a referral.
Even though there are still the likes of Shane Watson who always refer, I think you will find that most teams are getting a lot better at using their referrals. Captains realise if they waste an early referral then it makes the decision of using the last one a lot harder.