• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How long will England be no.1 for?

How long will England be the no.1 Test side?

• Total voters

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm hoping at least until the end of the Ashes double-header in 2013/14. That would be pretty cool, and mean that we've performed well in India, against South Africa, and also in the Ashes.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ages. They're much better than anyone else, they have serious depth and their team's going to be together for a long time yet.

If South Africa get their act together they might be in with a chance of overturning it next summer, but even then I think they might have had a few too many poor results lately.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Difficult to say. A lot depends on how the other teams shape up. At a guess, what weldone said.

Uppercut

I don't think losing in India will be enough to lose them number one by the time that happens. Unless they balls up badly in Dubai or at home to South Africa.

Himannv

International Coach
They're strong but not that strong. I doubt they would really dominate as much in the subcontinent and I think South Africa away might be challenging as well. Will give it sometime between 8 months and 2 years.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If we maintain our current levels between now and that India series, defeat there would be unlikely to displace us anyway.

As things stand, India aren't good enough to beat us anywhere, so I'm not too fussed anyway. Saffa, and a bit later Australia will be the main challengers, IMO, although Australia have a lot of work to do and that's based off nothing more than a gut feeling.

The answer, however, is forever.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Weaker England sides this one won in the subcontinent in 00-01 (Sri Lanka and Pakistan), and tied a series there in 06 (a side featuring Ian Bell opening, Shaun Udal, lol). Anyone would think there are different rules there the way some of you go on.

Last time out in India, we were beaten 1-0 by a very special performance from the India batsmen. But we were certainly not out of our depth. Given that was the Moores era with Pietersen as skipper, it's safe to say we are a LOT better now. It's laughable how our chances there are written off.

Uppercut

England somehow still underrated, it would appear. They have the best pace attack, the best spinner, the most depth, the best coach, the longest batting lineup, the best fielding unit and they score more runs than anyone else. They're not set to lose any key players for a few years yet, and they seem a lot more interested in being number one than anyone else does.

Will the general opinion of England please catch up with the realistic standard of their team so I can stop betraying my roots by sticking up for them all the time?

Bun

Banned
England somehow still underrated, it would appear. They have the best pace attack, the best spinner, the most depth, the best coach, the longest batting lineup, the best fielding unit and they score more runs than anyone else. They're not set to lose any key players for a few years yet, and they seem a lot more interested in being number one than anyone else does.

Will the general opinion of England please catch up with the realistic standard of their team so I can stop betraying my roots by sticking up for them all the time?
best spinner? that's totally misleading.