• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pietersen vs Clarke

Who will have the better career?

• Total voters

Howe_zat

Audio File
I was looking at the ICC player rankings after KP's innings against India had jumped him up 10 places. One of the batsmen overtaken was Michael Clarke - who I'd think would have been ahead of KP for a good two or three years.

So I thought it was interesting that both these batsmen must have spent a lengthy amount of time as one of the best in the world, and both have slumped since then. They've both shown an immense amount of talent, both have similar records (though KP's is a bit longer) and both get an oddly huge amount of personal criticism.

Who do you think will end up with the better career? Also, who do you think will be back to their best first, if ever?

BlazeDragon

Banned
Right now, Clarke needs to worry about nothing other than recovering form. At current form he doesn't deserve to be in the Aussie side much less be captain.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Pietersen is the most talented England batsman of the last 30 years or so, IMO.

I'd back him to end up with much better records and reputation than Clarke. If he doesn't, then it'll only be due to his temperament.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
Pietersen is the most talented England batsman of the last 30 years or so, IMO.

I'd back him to end up with much better records and reputation than Clarke. If he doesn't, then it'll only be due to his temperament.
Pietersen is - or has been - far better under pressure than Clarke. He's fished the English line-up out of the manure loads of times before he had this long slump.

Redbacks

International Captain
If temperament becomes an issue over a whole career then I have no qualms about adding it to the list of weaknesses in a players game along side a technical flaw. Test cricket will test your temperament, just like a weakness against the short ball will be tested.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
pietersen v clarke

clarke, left arm spinner, bowling to pietersen?
would have to back clarke!

on a serious note, i feel both batsmen are equally good but i'd pick pietersen ahead of clarke in my team simply because he's an attacking batsman.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Both love a good brain fade during their innings.

Both are quality though. Kind of hard to say which batsman will be better as Clarke as captain now has thrown a wildcard into the mix. We don't know just how it will affect his test batting.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
If temperament becomes an issue over a whole career then I have no qualms about adding it to the list of weaknesses in a players game along side a technical flaw. Test cricket will test your temperament, just like a weakness against the short ball will be tested.
Yeah, I agree with that.

pup11

International Coach
Both Clarke and Pietersen started off their careers as exciting stroke-players but with time Clarke went into his shell in search of consistency whereas KP kept on backing his strength of being an aggressive stroke-player.

Due to his cautious approach Clarke in recent times has been far more consistent than KP in both forms of the game but still KP is a far greater an impact player then Clarke.

Still if its total career runs and centuries we are taking about then I've a feeling Clarke (if his back doesn't give away) would eventually overtake KP.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
Both love a good brain fade during their innings.

Both are quality though. Kind of hard to say which batsman will be better as Clarke as captain now has thrown a wildcard into the mix. We don't know just how it will affect his test batting.
Best thing Clarke could do is go back to 5.

KP has a slightly better conversion rate as well as more big scores than Clarke at a better strike rate. I think KP is more talented as a batsman overall and that shows through in his stats in all formats.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If Clarke's innings isn't an abberation then we may have a world with these two in top form this year. Spikey suggested digging it. Consider it dug? Who's better?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Will be interesting to see how Clarke kicks on from this innings - up until it, I think it's fair to say he went a bit Marcuss North with his form - was only averaging 40 despite 3 tons in 9 Tests as captain.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Will be interesting to see how Clarke kicks on from this innings - up until it, I think it's fair to say he went a bit Marcuss North with his form - was only averaging 40 despite 3 tons in 9 Tests as captain.
A couple of those games were in very poor batting conditions though.

Anyone remember his ton against NZ after the Lara fiasco? That was when I started to rate the ****.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Have never not rated him when looking objectively. His 09 Ashes series won my respect forever tbh.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
A couple of those games were in very poor batting conditions though.

Anyone remember his ton against NZ after the Lara fiasco? That was when I started to rate the ****.
Most of Clarke's best innings as captain have come in times of difficulty.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah the best thing about Clarke over the past few years is that he's often made tough runs. I remember making a point about him not doing that at the start of his career, and pasag created a thread on it.

So yeah it's pleasing to see. Of course KP is known to rise to the occasion too. It's a very close call but I enjoy watching a decent Clarke innings over a decent Pietersen innings, but that could be because of the team I support.