• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wayne Parnell Converts to Islam

shivfan

Banned
Congratulations to Wayne on becoming a Muslim. Hope it doesn't affect his relationship with the rest of the squad.
Why should it? Amla is a Muslim, and he's a member of the Saffer squad....

As another poster said, Dilshan did the reverse, so I don't see what the fuss is all about. I guess it's probably because there's so much anti-Muslim sentiment around these days.

kingkallis

International Coach
RSA team manager Dr.Moosajee said he would continue to use his christened name so we wont be able to see a different name on the scorecard. :D

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Serious question here borne out of ignorance - are a person's names that important in Islam? Just seems - from these high profile cases at least - that conversion to the religion is often accompanied by a change in name as well.

smash84

The Tiger King
as far as I know Islam encourages people to keep good names (i.e. those that carry good meaning). I am not sure if it is a compulsory thing though (probably not)

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I am considering starting to follow the religion of the invisible pink unicorn, but I am reluctant to alienate my former spiritual mentors in the church of the flying spaghetti monster.

One way or another it's all genuinely wacko to me.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
In Islam one should keep his family name upon conversion. But the person is encouraged to change his first name if his original name is inappropriate.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
In Islam one should keep his family name upon conversion. But the person is encouraged to change his first name if his original name is inappropriate.
That just confuses me further, as I can't think of any religion or culture in the world where the name Wayne would be considered appropriate. :ph34r:

enigma

Cricket Spectator
Serious question here borne out of ignorance - are a person's names that important in Islam? Just seems - from these high profile cases at least - that conversion to the religion is often accompanied by a change in name as well.
No its not necessary, unless the name violates some fundamentals of islam (even then its not mandatory but recommended). I dont know of a name that violates but some Indian names that translate to "Worshiper of Sun" would need a recommended change

enigma

Cricket Spectator
That just confuses me further, as I can't think of any religion or culture in the world where the name Wayne would be considered appropriate. :ph34r:
I dont think so that its inappropriate.. But some people do change out of eagerness and excitement. Or to get a name with a better meaning

Quaggas

State Captain
"Moosajee also could not confirm speculation that Parnell might indeed change his name to "Whallid" - which means "Great One".

Please reconsider your ATG bowling lists....