• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Trent Bridge

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What a great days play. Standout performances were Broad with ball and Dravid with bat- honourable mentions also to Bresnan with ball, Laxman and Yuvraj with bat. Bresnan's ball to get rid of Laxman was a cracker and he has generally bowled pretty well I think. Swann getting tonked was not a good sign, but we all have off days- though his average this summer vs lower order is markedly superior to top and middle order it must be said. I remember Dilshan hitting at least one six off him at Lords ion the 2nd day I think it was. We're still well in it- had the India lead passed 100+ then I'd have been particularly worried, but positive thinking- this track won't get any easier and if we can set 200-250 we are well in the game.
Psst... Re. Swann...

He ain't that great.

He's by no means awful and is a good bowler, but he's a stock standard offie with an arm ball. But the level of hype around him is crazy.

Generally has one big innings with the ball per series tho, and it may be the second dig here.

Last edited:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
LOL ranked #4 in the world and about two weeks ago was ranked #1. Clearly past it. Totally.
whatever. He won't get a single 80+ score this series. avatar bet? 2 weeks?

wow just found out that Broad got a hattrick?
he's single handedly keeping england in the game.

and dravid has to be the best player in english conditions.
scored 3 tons in 2002 tour
2 already this time... amazing (avg of 70+)
imagine if he had been an english...

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Just realised that, much like the perfect hattrick in football (left foot, right foot, header), Broad claimed what could be described as the perfect hattrick in cricket - caught, lbw, bowled.

Wonder who else has done that in Tests, if anyone.

Edit: And his spell reads 5 for 5 in 5(.1)

Last edited:

Mr Popodopolous

Cricket Spectator
Probably a meaningless stat, but any thoughts?

Did a little research on this innings and noticed that after extras are discounted, while 51.92% of our runs came in boundaries in that 1st Innings, India's ratio was about 60.86%. Does this mean anything- competitive advantage in terms of running between wicket, rotating strike, not letting bowler/fielding side settle etc?

LJMJ

U19 12th Man
Seriously, is the dictionary extinct?
Is good eye sight extinct? Because those delivering weren't just clipping off, they were CLEANLY hitting the bails. Big difference.

If he gives it not out, fair enough. No arguing about it.
No, it's not fair because 1) it was out and 2) it looked plumb live.

Mr Popodopolous

Cricket Spectator
Psst... Re. Swann...

He ain't that great.

He's by no means awful and is a good bowler, but he's a stock standard offie with an arm ball. But the level of hype around him is crazy.

Generally has one big innings with the ball per series tho, and it may be the second dig here.
I got that feeling- he was matchwinner at Adelaide but was up and down in Ashes- did quite well in SA though, non spinning conditions and ok at times with bat. Lords and Oval 2009 good but that aside less so. I did worry about him vs India though he's still surely our best spinner atm and best in quite some while.

Burgey

Just realised that, much like the perfect hattrick in football (left foot, right foot, header), Broad claimed what could be described as the perfect hattrick in cricket - caught, lbw, bowled.

Wonder who else has done that in Tests, if anyone.

Edit: And his spell reads 5 for 5 in 5(.1)
Perfect hat trick in cricket, tbf, is all three batsmen being out.

McGrath's was incredible. All caught, but three top order players, taken apart by three different balls perfectly executed.

As for the question, I think Gough's hat trick at Sydney may have been caught, lb and bowled. But I'm not sure.

I should remember, I was there.

Jacknife

International Captain
Is good eye sight extinct? Because those delivering weren't just clipping off, they were CLEANLY hitting the bails. Big difference.

No, it's not fair because 1) it was out and 2) it looked plumb live.
No they weren't, that's why it say umpires call, when you see the graphic on the TV, those ones your on about had half a ball clipping the top of off stump, that is a marginal call.

Burgey

Probably a meaningless stat, but any thoughts?

Did a little research on this innings and noticed that after extras are discounted, while 51.92% of our runs came in boundaries in that 1st Innings, India's ratio was about 60.86%. Does this mean anything- competitive advantage in terms of running between wicket, rotating strike, not letting bowler/fielding side settle etc?
Might just be India had slightly better conditions to bat. It's interesting though. Indian batsmen do like to get the boundaries flowing. Feeds their enormous egos :ph34r:

Jacknife

International Captain
I got that feeling- he was matchwinner at Adelaide but was up and down in Ashes- did quite well in SA though, non spinning conditions and ok at times with bat. Lords and Oval 2009 good but that aside less so. I did worry about him vs India though he's still surely our best spinner atm and best in quite some while.
With him being sat in the hospital for a few hours last night plus has got a damaged hand and he's on a pitch that offers spinners nothing at all, I'll give him a break on this one.
He got MOTS down in SA. In the first test at Lords, I really enjoyed the battle he had with a few Indian Batsmen.

Last edited:

Mr Popodopolous

Cricket Spectator
Might just be India had slightly better conditions to bat. It's interesting though. Indian batsmen do like to get the boundaries flowing. Feeds their enormous egos :ph34r:
For sure the pitch did ease out. Can;t help but feel though that in a series as tight as this and that (ordinarily) our fielding and running between the wickets are superior to India and this could provide a priceless advantage over the course of the series.

Burgey

For sure the pitch did ease out. Can;t help but feel though that in a series as tight as this and that (ordinarily) our fielding and running between the wickets are superior to India and this could provide a priceless advantage over the course of the series.
Think that's a fair point tbh.

Though England has dropped some dollies in the first test and a half.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Furball to spout his usual brilliance/guff (delete as appropriate) about if four bowlers can't get the wickets then why should five.
Well there's that line of thinking, and there's also the lower order rescue jobs that have been done in our last 2 innints. Weakening the batting achieves nothing (in before any jokes about Morgan)

When we've needed our lower order to bail us out in the last 2 innings, the last thing I'd be doing is dropping a batsman for a bowler.