• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Radio 5 - Greatest Test

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Was just listening to the greatest test discussion on radio 5. Agnew chairman, Boycott, Steve Waugh and Vaughan voting. Shortlist was:

1960-61 Aus -WI tied test
1981 Headingley
2001 Kolkata
2005 Edgbaston

Kind of harsh on Waugh - 3 Aus defeats and a tie they should have won. Boycott voted for the tied test, the other two voted for Kolkata. Thought Boycott's description of the tied test was interesting, didn't realise it was so significant - first black captain, bradman saying it was the best thing for cricket. Think Kolkata was a fair winner though.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'd have voted for Edgbaston 2005 because every session was unmissable. Whereas Headingley 1981 was unwatchable until the final couple of sessions, and I'd argue that Kolkata was fairly mundane until Dravid & Laxman got together in the 3rd innings of the match. The tied test was way before my time.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I'd have voted for Edgbaston 2005 because every session was unmissable. Whereas Headingley 1981 was unwatchable until the final couple of sessions, and I'd argue that Kolkata was fairly mundane until Dravid & Laxman got together in the 3rd innings of the match. The tied test was way before my time.
There was a lot of interest in whether Steve Waugh would finally score a century at the Eden Gardens. IIRC, he had an excellent partnership with Gillespie after India had the top order dismissed for nowhere near an imposing total.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There was a lot of interest in whether Steve Waugh would finally score a century at the Eden Gardens. IIRC, he had an excellent partnership with Gillespie after India had the top order dismissed for nowhere near an imposing total.
Harbhajan took a hattrick on the last session of day 1.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Harbhajan took a hattrick on the last session of day 1.
Tbf Peter Siddle took a hattrick on the last session of Day 1 at Brisbane, but that was hardly a riveting Test. It will only be remembered for 517-1 anyway. :happy:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Kolkatta 2001 was awesome.

The ultimate comeback against the Australian team(one of the best teams ever) looking to coquer the last frontier after a all time record winning streak, which itself ended there.
They had won the first test by a margin and were dominating that match too. Was a epic Storybook match,imo.

Last edited:

vcs

Tbf Peter Siddle took a hattrick on the last session of Day 1 at Brisbane, but that was hardly a riveting Test. It will only be remembered for 517-1 anyway. :happy:
Yeah, but Brisbane didn't feature one of the greatest comebacks ever by any team to win a Test match. That was to back up G. I. Joe's point that the first few days were also pretty exciting. The Test matches in India don't have the continuous ebb and flow of games in England, SA etc... it's more of a slow burning thing which suddenly explodes and wickets tend to fall in a heap.

flibbertyjibber

I listened to that, was a good discussion. Fair enough to go for the India match as the best one as it was a remarkable match.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, but Brisbane didn't feature one of the greatest comebacks ever by any team to win a Test match. That was to back up G. I. Joe's point that the first few days were also pretty exciting. The Test matches in India don't have the continuous ebb and flow of games in England, SA etc... it's more of a slow burning thing which suddenly explodes and wickets tend to fall in a heap.
Oh yeah but Edgbaston wasn't just good from Day 1 pre-lunch. It was amazing from Day 1 pre-lunch. I literally cannot think of how that Test could have been better.

vcs

Yeah, Edgbaston was a fabulous match (seems to host quality Test matches in general). Either could have rightly been picked. Or the Botham Test of '81.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I wasn't downplaying Kolkata. Had an excuse to bring up 517-1 and took it.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Wish I liked cricket when I was younger. Can't remember watching Edgebaston 05, although I vaguely remember following the series. Certainly can't remember Kolkata. Have to be content with watching back highlights. :(

vcs

The Lara 153* match was also awesome. The Chennai '99 match, Hobart '99, Chennai '01, Chennai '08 (India vs. England) were all great matches. Also vaguely remember W. Indies winning a match by 1 run in Australia in '92 or '93.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Oh yeah but Edgbaston wasn't just good from Day 1 pre-lunch. It was amazing from Day 1 pre-lunch. I literally cannot think of how that Test could have been better.
It would have been better if Freddie had ran in and cleaned up the final two wickets in two balls on Day Five. Would have avoided years of my life being lost.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd go for Headingley '81 - 'tis true that the first two days were tedious in the extreme - but what happened in the end was by far the most ridiculous chain of events that has ever taken place on a cricket field - it was the classic example of something no fiction writer could have created without being ridiculed - yet it happened before my very eyes, and still does every time I watch it, though I remain fearful that there will be a reality check one day and that Australia will win by 7 wickets