• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ignorant or what?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I accept that Gerard Brophy is not a proper Yorkshireman but, having said that, he has been playing for the county since 2006 and you would have thought therefore that he might just have picked up on a few of the county's traditions.

Saj Mahmood has no such excuse, born in Bolton he's a bona fide Lancastrian and has played for the county for a decade

Now I do accept that I am a sad bastard, and even I had to look up the exact total of County Championship wins that the two counties have between them, which is 37 (30 to 7 in Yorkshires favour) or 39 (31/8) if you count shared titles but .............

There's a little quiz feature in "The Cricketer" every month where they ask a couple of County cricketers a few questions and, it has to be said, the general lack of knowledge of the games history and traditions is surprising, but Saj and Brophy absolutely amazed me with that question - this is the conversation:-

Saj - three

Brophy - No, its got to be more than that - I reckon seven

Saj - never

Narrator - You're both way out

Saj - so what's the answer then

Narrator - 37, Out of interest which of the two has won the most?

Saj - It's got to be Lancashire

Narrator - Wrong

Brophy - In that case, Yorkshire

............. or is it all just a wind up?

Howe_zat

Audio File
All they need to know is that Lancashire not winning it is the finest tradition the CC has left.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I wouldn't expect them to necessarily get the combined totals right - but they should know their own counties...

fredfertang

I wonder how they'd have got on if asked how many wooden spoons Lancs and Yorks had between them and who had the most of those

BoyBrumby

Englishman
As a fan with some anorakish tendencies it does mildly irk me that some players are seemingly indifferent to the history of our sport.

On IJL Trott's cricinfo profile it mentions that he's related to his Victorian (in both senses) namesakes Albert & Harry somehow, but he has no idea the exact nature of their consanguinity. If I had even the hint of a first class never mind test cricketer amongst my forebears I'd be cracking the genalogy sites until I knew how they slot into the family tree.

Ftr 3 Brumbys have profiles on Cricket Archive, but a solitary game for the Tasmanian Colts v their WA equivalents is the height of their achievements. My possible Tasmanian cousin Michael scored 2 & 2* and took 0/29 in the first innings. :cool:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I hate cricket archive. 3 of my team mates who played in the same match as me have it recorded down there but I don't :(

fredfertang

On IJL Trott's cricinfo profile it mentions that he's related to his Victorian (in both senses) namesakes Albert & Harry somehow, but he has no idea the exact nature of their consanguinity. If I had even the hint of a first class never mind test cricketer amongst my forebears I'd be cracking the genalogy sites until I knew how they slot into the family tree.
According to Harry and Albert's biographer - a book in which our very own Archie Mac gets a credit :cool:, they aren't related at all, which probably explains our favourite saffer's reluctance to log on to ancestry.com

BoyBrumby

Englishman
According to Harry and Albert's biographer - a book in which our very own Archie Mac gets a credit :cool:, they aren't related at all, which probably explains our favourite saffer's reluctance to log on to ancestry.com
Ah, that would explain how his maternal genes seem to be responsible for the cricketing prowess. His (much) elder half-brother was also an FC cricketer, but lacked the English qualification Jonathan gained from Trott sr.

Kudos to arch too. Very cool indeed.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Conversation at school last week.

Staff member: "Garry Sobers is coming for a visit next week."
Aussie Gap student: "Who?"
Me: "****. First you don't know who the MCC are, and now this. Heard of Bradman?"

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Most casual cricket fans outside of England wouldn't know what MCC stands for itbt. In Australia basically everyone would assume they meant Melbourne Cricket Club.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Most casual cricket fans outside of England wouldn't know what MCC stands for itbt. In Australia basically everyone would assume they meant Melbourne Cricket Club.
Haha yeah, have had this happen to me a few times at Saturday cricket while trying discussing the laws of the game.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Just read the article. Would I be right in thinking the magazine had the incorrect answer for number 5?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, probably a bit pedantic but if I'd been asked that question the first answer I'd have given wouldn't have been an Englishman.