• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dhoni V Prior (Tests)

Who would you rather have in your XI?

• Total voters

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think Prior is pretty comfortably ahead of Dhoni as a batsman; Dhoni may be talented but his figures grossly flatter what he's actually achieved with the bat at Test level IMO. Prior's do too to some extent, but not nearly as much as Dhoni's do. I'd possibly consider Dhoni because Strauss isn't to be selected and we'll need a captain, I suppose, and I also think he's a marginally better keeper, but on batting I'd go with Prior by a fairly big margin so I'd have him initially.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
Dhoni may be talented but his figures grossly flatter what he's actually achieved with the bat at Test level IMO. Prior's do too to some extent, but not nearly as much as Dhoni's do.
How do u figure that?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haddin's keeping is neutral, neither bad or good. Prior's is the same, except Prior has a 40 metre gate whereas Haddin does not.
Prior's keeping isn't neutral, it's below par. Australia have just seen the best of him.

But Prior's undoubtedly been the better batsman over the past few years. Last I checked the umpires don't deduct runs for leaving a gap between bat and pad.

Last edited:

Uppercut

On topic, it really depends how much significance you assign to current form. For a test tomorrow I'd take Prior, but in the long run I'd expect that Dhoni would contribute a lot more.

I don't rate either of them especially highly with the gloves but I'm told Dhoni's keeping to spin has improved a lot lately in the series I've missed.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Before the World Cup I'd have said Prior without a second thought but Dhoni clearly has an excellent temperament and on the basis that I believe he's more likely than Prior to play a match-winning or match-saving innings I'd go for him

Still hope and expect him to have a 'mare this summer though

benchmark00

Prior's keeping isn't neutral, it's below par. Australia have just seen the best of him.

But Prior's undoubtedly been the better batsman over the past few years. Last I checked the umpires don't deduct runs for leaving a gap between bat and pad.
Some of us prefer to judge a batsman on the basis of how good they actually are in terms of technique/temperament and how likely it is those things are going to stand up in all conditions rather than base an opinion merely upon runs and stats.

Crazy I know.

Jarquis

Yeah, 10 runs in the V are a lot more valuable than 15 between point and 2nd slip.

benchmark00

Love how people get touchy when someone doesn't rate a player they prefer on the basis basis of stats alone.

Heaven forbid someone watches a game and passes judgment instead of looking at cricinfo.

Jarquis

Or heavens that somebody disagrees with you on both the evidence of watching them play AND statistics. Oh the horror. Think of the children.

benchmark00

There are few things in life I care about less than statistics. Though your opinion on pretty much everything is one of those things.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
There are few things in life I care about less than statistics. Though your opinion on pretty much everything is one of those things.
That's funny given that after the first Ashes Test, when most people were saying Anderson was bowling well, you said he didn't because he didn't have the wickets to show for it and its primarily a numbers game.