Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 328

Thread: Best against the best

  1. #1
    State Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    mediterranea
    Posts
    1,452

    Best against the best

    Interesting statistical analysis in cricinfo of batsmen who have done well against the dominant bowling lineups of the windies and the 'strines.

    It Figures | Cricket Blogs | ESPN Cricinfo
    i know i am god. since when i pray i find i am talking to myself.

    (massive apologies to barnes)

  2. #2
    International Coach Ikki's Avatar
    Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Death Queen Island
    Posts
    12,494
    G. Chappell. It's quite a feat to be mentioned amongst the best batsmen of all time and still be underrated IMO. What he did in the above and especially in WSC shows just how good he was. Very few batsmen are near him when considering the best attacks.
    ★★★★★

  3. #3
    U19 Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    G. Chappell. It's quite a feat to be mentioned amongst the best batsmen of all time and still be underrated IMO.
    Crikey! Ravi Shastri has somehow got into that list. Ah, the joys of pure unadulterated statistics!

  4. #4
    International Coach Ikki's Avatar
    Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Death Queen Island
    Posts
    12,494
    Well, I am not referring to that article with regards to batsmen mentioned amongst the greats. I meant in general conversation.

    Also, it's not purporting Shastri is one of the greatest batsmen by the looks of it. He averaged 30 against the great WIndies attack - as stipulated in that analysis. It's not a perfect analysis though. It starts considering the Australian attack from 1985 and which is silly. It also doesn't seem to differentiate between attacks that were truly great or attacks that played under their name. Like the series Gavaskar played when WIndies had their bowlers at WSC or Tendulkar played when Australia didn't have her best bowlers.
    Last edited by Ikki; 07-05-2011 at 06:51 AM.


  5. #5
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    21,430
    I would be interested in which bowling line ups did well against these teams. I am guessing that Pakistan did well against the WI but who did well against the Aussie batting line up?
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

    Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

  6. #6
    International Captain ankitj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Hyderabad India
    Posts
    5,924
    Exposes the myth that Dravid was very good against strong bowling units tbh. Something I have been very unpopular for pointing out amongst my friends. An analysis against SA would've been good too! And glad to see Sehwag where he is.

    And Greg Chappel a batsman in the highest class. No doubting that, really. Don't think he is underrated though. Get's mentioned alongside the best of the 60s to 80s era (The two Richards and G. Pollock)

  7. #7
    vcs
    vcs is offline
    International Coach vcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,305
    Not really a big fan of Anantha Narayanan's analyses TBH. Without going by statistics, I would rate Steve Waugh quite high among the batsmen I've watched against top-quality bowling.

  8. #8
    Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    15,694
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    Exposes the myth that Dravid was very good against strong bowling units tbh. Something I have been very unpopular for pointing out amongst my friends. An analysis against SA would've been good too! And glad to see Sehwag where he is.

    And Greg Chappel a batsman in the highest class. No doubting that, really. Don't think he is underrated though. Get's mentioned alongside the best of the 60s to 80s era (The two Richards and G. Pollock)
    Might just get Rahul back up in that list if you included them to be honest..


    And add to that, to include the Aussie attack of 2008 as great is laughable..
    Last edited by honestbharani; 07-05-2011 at 07:31 AM.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

    Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.


    Check out this awesome e-fed:

    PWE Efed

  9. #9
    School Boy/Girl Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    india
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Well, I am not referring to that article with regards to batsmen mentioned amongst the greats. I meant in general conversation.

    Also, it's not purporting Shastri is one of the greatest batsmen by the looks of it. He averaged 30 against the great WIndies attack - as stipulated in that analysis. It's not a perfect analysis though. It starts considering the Australian attack from 1985 and which is silly. It also doesn't seem to differentiate between attacks that were truly great or attacks that played under their name. Like the series Gavaskar played when WIndies had their bowlers at WSC or Tendulkar played when Australia didn't have her best bowlers.
    When chappell played against WI pace quartret he averaged 14
    Cricket Records | Records | The Frank Worrell Trophy, 1981/82 | Most runs | ESPN Cricinfo

    He never faced WI pace quarter in WI. And which Australian best attack are you talking.
    Tendulkar won man of the series in the only series he played against Australian so called best attack.

  10. #10
    vcs
    vcs is offline
    International Coach vcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    10,305
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    Might just get Rahul back up in that list if you included them to be honest..


    And add to that, to include the Aussie attack of 2008 as great is laughable..
    Was better than it was in the 2004 tour.

  11. #11
    International Coach GotSpin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Posts
    12,805
    took only 9 posts for Tendulkar > All
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

  12. #12
    Bun
    Bun is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Under the tree
    Posts
    3,116
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Well, I am not referring to that article with regards to batsmen mentioned amongst the greats. I meant in general conversation.

    Also, it's not purporting Shastri is one of the greatest batsmen by the looks of it. He averaged 30 against the great WIndies attack - as stipulated in that analysis. It's not a perfect analysis though. It starts considering the Australian attack from 1985 and which is silly. It also doesn't seem to differentiate between attacks that were truly great or attacks that played under their name. Like the series Gavaskar played when WIndies had their bowlers at WSC or Tendulkar played when Australia didn't have her best bowlers.
    good joke reg tendulkar. so who won the ,an of series again in 99?

  13. #13
    U19 Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    India
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by Got_Spin View Post
    took only 9 posts for Tendulkar > All
    And took only one post for that to draw a reaction.

    I can now see two threads (check out Text XI: born overseas) with the potential to go down the drain.
    Last edited by Borges; 07-05-2011 at 07:43 AM.

  14. #14
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    21,430
    Quote Originally Posted by sehwag fan View Post
    When chappell played against WI pace quartret he averaged 14
    Cricket Records | Records | The Frank Worrell Trophy, 1981/82 | Most runs | ESPN Cricinfo

    He never faced WI pace quarter in WI. And which Australian best attack are you talking.
    Tendulkar won man of the series in the only series he played against Australian so called best attack.
    I think this is a bit more representative.

    Although his average is still a shade under 30. Quite surprising for me.

    Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

  15. #15
    Bun
    Bun is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Under the tree
    Posts
    3,116
    Quote Originally Posted by Got_Spin View Post
    took only 9 posts for Tendulkar > All
    cuz he is,

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •