• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Alastair Cook is England's ODI Captain

tooextracool

International Coach
How can a player go from not being in the ODI squad to being the captain?

Really poor decision this one. Cook's domestic record with Essex is actually pretty good so I'm not opposed to him coming into the side per se (and he had a good series against Bangladesh) but making him captain is mental.
The same thing happened 3 years ago when Strauss was made captain after the Pietersen fiasco. As I said earlier, the step to make Cook captain of the ODI outfit is part of his initiation process for his run as test captain.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I think the genuine problem that England face is that they do not have much of an idea of what their best ODI XI is. If they wanted a captain who definitely should be in the first choice XI, the options would have narrowed down to two, may be three names.
Yeah. And they've not helped by having one of them retire.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
A pretty decent decision, I reckon. It's a good idea to look at succession planning for the captaincy now, and if Cook isn't good enough we can always have a change when Strauss properly retires. In terms of selection, Cook would have been picked anyway with Strauss retiring, he's been very good domestically the last year or so and played well in Bangladesh.

I'm not sure who else was considered. Broad is the only realistic option afaics, but injuries with fast bowlers make it difficult. Swann as captain is a total 'wtf' for me, and KP I think is a very bad idea.

Cracket

Cricket Spectator
And he didn't even play in the WC even though he was fit and ready and players were getting injured left and right.

Though I think its a good choice. I like Alistair Cook.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Are we getting a new T20 captain too, or is Collingwood staying on? That'll be weird, three captains.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Making someone the leader when they were recently judged not good enough for a World Cup team is odd This decision is proof that England aren't too bothered by ODI cricket as the main benefit of this goes to their future under Cook in tests. Fair enough.

tooextracool

International Coach
Don't think Cook's selection has anything to do with England not being bothered with ODI cricket. They've made a bold move to pick a captain that will actually be around for the future which suggests that the next ODI XI that we will see take field will also have one eye towards the next world cup.

The problem with questioning why he wasn't in the original world cup squad in the first place, is based on the reasoning that the squad selected for the world cup was the right one. However when you consider that it was a who's who of Jokers in English limited overs cricket, I cannot honestly see the problem with his recall to the side as captain especially when the alternate options = no one.

Woodster

International Captain
No surprise they've gone with Cook, it's clear they like the captain to be in charge of Tests and ODI's, and with Cook the very likely successor to Strauss in Test cricket, then having him in charge of the ODI's makes sense in that respect.

My immediate thoughts on this was the same as what people on here have already posted, how can you select a captain that is deemed not good enough to play in the XI ? WI have done the same with Darren Sammy and it becomes a very awkward situation. However, if Strauss is not playing ODI's, then it's conceivable that Cook would be in the strongest XI, if they are going for a similar style of player at the top. There will still be question marks over Cook's ability to succeed in 50-over cricket, but I have always thought there is a place for him in the one-day side on the proviso he scores runs aplenty, firstly with Essex, then when he gets his opportunity for England. Now he simply must succeed at the top of the order for England with the added pressures of captaincy.

It's hard to judge his captaincy in one-day cricket, as he hasn't done a great deal of it. The Test captaincy will seemingly also be his, so this does offer him the opportunity to bed in to the role, throw in a couple of overseas tours where Strauss may be resting, and in theory we will have a well planned, semi-experienced leader ready made to continue the good work of Strauss.

Howe_zat

Audio File
What I want to know is, why was Cook always earmarked as the next captain two years ago? Is it based on any knid of captaincy success in county cricket or youth cricket?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
What I want to know is, why was Cook always earmarked as the next captain two years ago? Is it based on any knid of captaincy success in county cricket or youth cricket?
He was U19 captain, I don't know how successful. He just seems to be one of those players who gets earmarked young - I guess it's attitude as much as anything else.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
And he didn't even play in the WC even though he was fit and ready and players were getting injured left and right.
Yes, because Strauss was there. If Strauss had got injured I suspect Cook would've been called up to replace him.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
And been captain?

It's not that big a deal, and I don't think its a bad decision, but its twice now that they have chosen a captain from someone who was not in the best 11 (or 15) prior to becoming the new captain.

Not saying its right or wrong, but its not exactly conventional to say the least. Would not recommend it being the best way forward all the time, that's for sure.

A captain having WC experience as a player is helpful I reckon. Dhoni this year would clearly have been aided by the fact he was there in 2007.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Hardly unexpected. What do people think of his captaincy?

But a blow to lose Strauss as he is now a very good ODI player.

jazman84

Cricket Spectator
Cook should have been in the WC side though IMO. Sure he doesn't set the world alight when he is in the middle but I doubt he would have let the side down.

Naming him as captain is bizarre, seeing he hasn't proven himself at that level enough to be an automatic inclusion. I would have gone with KP or Trott TBH, or even Morgan if they want to go in that direction.

England's scorecard in future ODI's

|Random Opener | cKeeper b Paceman | 30 off 25 SR of 120.00|
|Cook | Not out | 113 off 150 SR of 75.33|
|Trott | Not out | 100 off 138 SR of 72.46|
|244 from 50 overs @ 4.88 runs per over|

*cbf factoring in extras :ph34r:

Last edited: