Page 1 of 57 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: WHY do they say this?

State Vice-Captain

WHY do they say this?

It has become common, of late, to proclaim Tendulkar the equal or superior of Bradman.

Simon Hughes of the Telegraph - that bastion of conservative, reactionary reportage - has merely become the latest to make such a claim. Nasser Hussein, Richard Hadlee, Colin Croft, inter alia, have also made such 'lese majeste' claims, instantly incurring the wrath of all antipodeans, while simultaneously basking in the glory of most Indians.

My question is: WHY?
    Are there really any good cricketing reasons to think this way? Or are a combination of other i.e. socioeconomic factors - the growing clout of indians, the number of hits from Indians on an article/newssite that carries such a story - the reason of such seemingly outlandish claims? Or is it just something in the water?

Would appreciate a good debate on this, especially on the 'other' factors underpinning the spate of such proclamations.
    i know i am god. since when i pray i find i am talking to myself.

(massive apologies to barnes)

They're just sucking up to the Indians, simple as. Indians are whores for flattery, just look at those awful IPL ad's in which they make the players read ridiculous scripts about how great the IPL and India are.
    PSN: LeftArmFast

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    It baffles me when guys like that do this. I can understand it when it comes from some of the fans of low intelligence, but not the guys listed above.

There is zero argument to be had here. Even Jono, who sleeps cuddled up to a Sachin teddybear, accepts this.
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    I think we will be able to assess more fairly when Tendulkar has been retired for ten years. I am sure anyone with any sort of a fair assessment will have Bradman clearly on top.

Personally I thought Viv better than STR
    You know it makes sense.

State Vice-Captain
    They're just sucking up to the Indians, simple as. Indians are whores for flattery,
    better start minding your language, sunshine.

Quote Originally Posted by hang on View Post
    better start minding your language, sunshine.
    should I have said prostitute instead? perhaps hooker? what is the accepted term on this forum? ..............

I'm sure there's an element of pandering to the fans. But mostly it's people with nothing to write about and can't think of anything original having to fill up columns, and writing something they think is going to be "debateable" just for the sake of it.
    And we still haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    I'm sure there's an element of pandering to the fans. But mostly it's people with nothing to write about and can't think of anything original having to fill up columns, and writing something they think is going to be "debateable" just for the sake of it.
    but wouldn't that automatically call into question their cricketing knowledge? assuming that they are speaking out of their proverbial, it would lead to a future credibility problem, surely? the immediate gains of enhanced readership for a couple of days would be offset quite easily by the loss of serious readers.
    Last edited by hang on; 31-03-2011 at 01:32 AM.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Weezy View Post
    should I have said prostitute instead? perhaps hooker? what is the accepted term on this forum? ..............
    do u actually have a problem with indians? or is it just some easy trolling that u are after?

International Vice-Captain bagapath's Avatar
    don't tell me you don't realize indians will find it offensive!!! in case you want clarification, yes, it is offensive. only slightly to me (because I am a whore, but it has nothing to do with my nationality). but there may be others who may not like it at all. unless you want to deliberately needle people, you can choose better, more cultured language to express your thoughts. if not, you can drag some guys into a nasty finger pointing argument and get them, and yourself, banned from this forum.
    Last edited by bagapath; 31-03-2011 at 02:48 AM.

wow this place is even less fun than PlanetCricket

State Vice-Captain
    wow this place is even less fun than PlanetCricket
    that's just perfect, then, champ.

time for u to trot off back there.

TBH it's hype. Hindsight will correct this I hope.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

State Vice-Captain
    but well known cricket analysts/former players etc. should be inured to hype, at least to the extent that they do not prostrate themselves slavishly at its feet in as cartoonish a manner as possible.

International Vice-Captain bagapath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hang on View Post
    It has become common, of late, to proclaim Tendulkar the equal or superior of Bradman.

Simon Hughes of the Telegraph - that bastion of conservative, reactionary reportage - has merely become the latest to make such a claim. Nasser Hussein, Richard Hadlee, Colin Croft, inter alia, have also made such 'lese majeste' claims, instantly incurring the wrath of all antipodeans, while simultaneously basking in the glory of most Indians.

My question is: WHY?
    Are there really any good cricketing reasons to think this way? Or are a combination of other i.e. socioeconomic factors - the growing clout of indians, the number of hits from Indians on an article/newssite that carries such a story - the reason of such seemingly outlandish claims? Or is it just something in the water?

Would appreciate a good debate on this, especially on the 'other' factors underpinning the spate of such proclamations.
    Simon Hughes has always been prone to make over the top, ill informed assessments despite his decent knowledge of the game and his considerable writing skills. A few years ago he wrote about how old English seam bowlers were really no good and relied only on murky weather to get their wickets. Alec Bedser wrote back to that newspaper tearing Hughes' writing apart.

This recent one is a similar, over the top assessment. But, what I have realized in the last few years is that Sachin is going to be hailed as the second greatest batsman of all time by the majority whether we like it or not. equally worthy candidates like hobbs, lara, richards, hutton and hammond are going to get a raw deal, and that would be quite sad.

Page 1 of 57 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread Information