• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best and Worst TV Commentators

mrcheek

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
By far the worst is Mark Nicholas. If I wanted to hear a man ejaculate, I'd be watching p0rn, not cricket.

Im almost angry that you reminded me of this idiot, who I had largely managed to block from my mind.

His overwhelming love of the Australian cricket team is nothing short of pathetic, best evidenced by his lauding of the awesome brilliant magnificent Glenn McGrath at Lord's in 2005, when he was simply bowling good length balls that were impossible to play because the pitch was crap and they didnt bounce. A proper commentator would have pointed out how lucky McGrath was, but I guess Nicholas was too busy rubbing his **** to notice.

Ignore anything I said before. Unquestionably the worst commentator ever, worse even than Ian Smith. At least Smith is blinded by the love of his own country's players. Nicholas is jerking off to a foreign team!

Last edited by a moderator:

Himannv

International Coach
Ranjit Fernando. Absolute rubbish. Dislike Harsha Bhogle as well. Annoying fart.

EDIT: For my favourites I'd say Michael Holding and Rameez Raja. Lloyd isn't too bad either.

Last edited:

Trigger_Tiger

U19 Captain

The great Richi Benaud tops my list in terms of respect! Tony Greig and Sir Geoffrey Boycott are who I look forward to most often. But if there is one commentator who tops my list and I wish to hear in every match, it has to be David "Bumble" Loyd! He is just too entertaining to not have around. Him and Ian Bishop together in the commentary box makes my day!

From the subcontinent I like Sanjay Manjrekar. Ravi Shastri is pretty good too...but his pronunciation of "long on" as "Long Gone" sort of bugs me. I used to like Harsha Bhogle until 2005 and then lost all respect when he sort of went out all commercial :)!

Absolute worst for me has to be Ranjit Fernando and Shamim Chowdhury!

Last edited:

Blaze 18

Banned
his overwhelming love of the australian cricket team is nothing short of pathetic, best evidenced by his lauding of the awesome brilliant magnificent glenn mcgrath at lord's in 2005, when he was simply bowling good length balls that were impossible to play because the pitch was crap and they didnt bounce. A proper commentator would have pointed out how lucky mcgrath was
:huh:

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Im almost angry that you reminded me of this idiot, who I had largely managed to block from my mind.

His overwhelming love of the Australian cricket team is nothing short of pathetic, best evidenced by his lauding of the awesome brilliant magnificent Glenn McGrath at Lord's in 2005, when he was simply bowling good length balls that were impossible to play because the pitch was crap and they didnt bounce. A proper commentator would have pointed out how lucky McGrath was, but I guess Nicholas was too busy rubbing his **** to notice.

Ignore anything I said before. Unquestionably the worst commentator ever, worse even than Ian Smith. At least Smith is blinded by the love of his own country's players. Nicholas is jerking off to a foreign team!
what the ****?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Ian Smith is the worst Ive ever heard. The way he claimed "not to remember" NZ's running out of Murali when he was merely congratulating his partner for getting a hundred, whilst slagging off England for running out Elliott, was shocking.
Murali incident ≠ Elliott incident.

dhillon28

U19 Debutant
Worst

Harsha Bhogle- irritating idiot who talks too much

Sanjay Manjrekar- if India plays badly then doesnt stop talking about how new indian batsmen dont have techniques and then when the same batsmen play well, doesnt stop talking about how much better than the rest of the world they are. zero charisma

Ian Healy- sounds very unprofessional and generally biased towards aussie players

Laxman Shivaramakrishnan- an excellent cricket brain and good talker in general interviews but when in a commentary box, just turns into this monotone personality

David Gower- does nothing to capture the listeners attention

Simon Doull- just tries to dominate the other commentator too much and gets emotionally involved too often

Kepler Wessels- heavily biased for RSA (however is changing recently) and whenever batsmen gets out keeps on saying "no foot movement at all" and completely disregards why the ball prevented them from moving their feet

Ian Bishop- way off with his analysis

Russel Arnold- same as above

Best

Ravi Shastri- captures the moment, impartial

Michael Atherton- same as above

Michael Slater- same as above

Ian Smith- same as above

Rameez Raja- very impartial

Craig Mcmillan- same as above

Allan Donald- same as above

Nasser Hussain- always tries to bring technical perspective to the game which is always interesting for aspiring cricketers such as myself, has played against some of the best players ever and brings experience of playing against them into commentary

Danny Morrison- good for t20 cricket, funny and excting

David Lloyd- same as above

Spark

Global Moderator
I wouldn't say Michael Slater is the best comm on C9. Taylor is better for mine. I'm told he's very good off C9 though.

Atherton and Holding are probably the best I've heard though. Not sure why you hate Gower so, I find him interesting.

EDIT: And I thought people here thought Bumble was a rubbish T20 commentator?

salman85

International Debutant
David Lloyd has to be the most entertaining commentator out there.Love hearing the guy.And i forgot Michael Holding too.Both are great.

Ultimate combo for a WC final : Lloyd,Greig,Lawry.

P.S.Dean Jones is fun to hear too,when he's not paying attention to Amla :ph34r:

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Mark Nicholas - magisterial, magical, magnificent.
David Lloyd - hilarious and unique.
Sir Ian Botham - robust no-nonsense straight talking. And a laid-back entertainer

Or, to put it more accurately,

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I wouldn't say Michael Slater is the best comm on C9. Taylor is better for mine. I'm told he's very good off C9 though.

Atherton and Holding are probably the best I've heard though. Not sure why you hate Gower so, I find him interesting.

EDIT: And I thought people here thought Bumble was a rubbish T20 commentator?
Gower's a classy anchor who's a **** commentator. Gower-Botham is by far Sky's worst combination in the box, absolutely nothing of any interest whatsoever gets said.

Botham's finest hour came shortly after Hussain did an excellent piece on batsmen's trigger movements. Botham then gets asked about swing, his reply? "No idea." Killed any chance of informative discussion stone dead, the prick.

Bumble's a **** T20 commentator because he doesn't have a clue how the format works. He's got the brainless "hit sixes" mentality towards it. For Tests and ODIs, I find him a bit of a buffoon, but one thing that always shines through is his enthusiasm, passion and knowledge about the game, which I can't fault him for.

Tony Greig's the worst. He's a ****ing ******.

Last edited:

Prad100w

U19 Cricketer
Love hearing - Holding, Atherton, Hussain, Mark Taylor, Warne, Ian Chappel, Shastri, Pollock, Donald, Bishop, Sanjay Manjarekar.

Worst Hearing - Arun lal, Laxman Sivaramakrishnan and most of sub continental commentators, NZ commentators except Richardson, Ian healy, Tony greig, Botham, Kepler wessels (biased).

robinjr

School Boy/Girl Captain

agree with your take on Nicholas who's a tool no question but the example you used to point that out is rubbish imo.That lord's spell was close to the best spell of fastbowling i've ever seen.A masterfull display of how to use the famous lords slope.anyway thats off topic here's my best and worst commos

best:Lawry,Slats,Nasser,Bumble,Barry Richards(not hearing from him any more),Holding

worst:Botham,Healy,Nicholas,Gavaskar,Ranjit and all the indian ones bar Sanjay and Ravi.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah not sure how that pitch was crap when Australia in the third innings scored plenty of runs.

McGrath was just that awesome. Unfortunately his hair tips were a disgrace at that time lol.

Last edited: