• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players that are the most overated by CW posters.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Also, and just throwing this out there, the people railing against the hype of Tendulkar have long surpassed - both in number and in their fervor - people who actually hype up Tendulkar.

On this forum of course, not overall.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Also, and just throwing this out there, the people railing against the hype of Tendulkar have long surpassed - both in number and in their fervor - people who actually hype up Tendulkar.

Yep.

smash84

The Tiger King
Tendulkar(Complex relationship with CW tbh. There are loads who overrate him but that also means the normal fan thinks tiwce before heaping OTT praise on him when compared to doing the same to say, Dravid.)

Sobers as a bowler(Okay, perhaps he wasn't as below average a bowler as the stats tell us, Maybe he was better than that but some make it sound like the Greek Goddess Hera stripped and danced evertime he bowled)

Ishant Sharma (He's not a once-in-a-lifetime talent because he beat Ponting thrice, srsly)

Afridi as an LO batsman(So much wrong with him, I don't know where to start)
:laugh:

AWTA

morgieb

Swap the Aussies for Blewett, Reiffel and Elliot and i may agree the English were better.

Anyone who says the english players were better than the great Aussie ones is talking out of their arse, only English player who would have got in the Aussie side through the 90's is Thorpe.
He was before your time, but one person actually did think that. Partly because he takes FCA and FPT for granted too much.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Overrated by CW posters? Tendulkar certainly isn't. Whoever thinks so is delusional. Hardly any of the Indian posters around here is a Tendulkar fan boy. I admire Murali and Ambrose most among the ones I have watched, HB and Blaze seem to have a crush on Lara, Bagapath is a die hard Gilchrist fan, Teja drools over Waqar and all-rounders. Who is a Tendulkar fan boy here, really?

As far as the question on this thread is concerned, my answer will be Adam Gilchrist. I am sorry, I don't consider wicketkeeper-batsmen all-rounders. Wicketkeeping is just a field position, albeit the most important one. If Dravid's 200 test catches combined with his batting record don't make him an ATG, neither should Gilchrist's wikcetkeeping make him an ATG.

FTR, he makes my all time world XI.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Overrated by CW posters? Tendulkar certainly isn't. Whoever thinks so is delusional. Hardly any of the Indian posters around here is a Tendulkar fan boy. I admire Murali and Ambrose most among the ones I have watched, HB and Blaze seem to have a crush on Lara, Bagapath is a die hard Gilchrist fan, Teja drools over Waqar and all-rounders. Who is a Tendulkar fan boy here, really?

As far as the question on this thread is concerned, my answer will be Adam Gilchrist. I am sorry, I don't consider wicketkeeper-batsmen all-rounders. Wicketkeeping is just a field position albeit the most important one. If Dravid's 200 test catches combined with his batting record don't make him an ATG, neither should Gilchrist's wikcetkeeping make him an ATG.

Well said

vcs

As far as the question on this thread is concerned, my answer will be Adam Gilchrist. I am sorry, I don't consider wicketkeeper-batsmen all-rounders. Wicketkeeping is just a field position albeit the most important one. If Dravid's 200 test catches combined with his batting record don't make him an ATG, neither should Gilchrist's wikcetkeeping make him an ATG.

Jono and yours truly.

benchmark00

As far as the question on this thread is concerned, my answer will be Adam Gilchrist. I am sorry, I don't consider wicketkeeper-batsmen all-rounders. Wicketkeeping is just a field position, albeit the most important one. If Dravid's 200 test catches combined with his batting record don't make him an ATG, neither should Gilchrist's wikcetkeeping make him an ATG.

Out of interest, what is your criteria for 'all time great' if it's not the 'would they be in the best team ever assembled' test?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Out of interest, what is your criteria for 'all time great' if it's not the 'would they be in the best team ever assembled' test?
There's no strict definition of 'all time great'. So let's leave that aside. I don't think Gilchrist should be regarded as one of the 10 or 20 greatest cricketers as he is regarded by many here.

benchmark00

There's no strict definition of 'all time great'. So let's leave that aside. I don't think Gilchrist should be regarded as one of the 10 or 20 greatest cricketers as he is regarded by many here.
Yet he makes your final XI?

So by definition, there hasn't ever been an ATG keeper and probably won't be in this life time?

I think that's silly. Being a wicket keeper and a batsman takes a great deal of ability. In your opinion he may not be an ATG in both, or either, of those disciplines, however in context and combined, he is definitely an ATG.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Yet he makes your final XI?

So by definition, there hasn't ever been an ATG keeper and probably won't be in this life time?
Not enough to make my top 20 or 25 cricketers of all time, no.

Using your line of reasoning, before Gilchrist arrived on the scene, someone would have to make an all time world XI as a wicket-keeper? So he had to be ranked in top 20-25 cricketers? After Gilchrist, he vanished from top 20-25 all together rather than slipping by one position? Sounds weird to me.

For any wicketkeeper to be put in that bracket, including Gilchrist, there should be an argument better than that he makes the all time XI.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Tendulkar has hardly got a mention on this forum for a long time TBH. Don't know why you always think he's the one who has to carry the can for the statsguru-based comparisons that are in vogue lately.
Statsguru comparisons aren't in vogue lately, they've always been the CW way.

I'm not a stats guy but also not as stupidly anti-stats as some (I believe the numbers are important but shouldn't be used as the sole basis for an argument). I struggle with the concept of labelling a player overrated based purely off his numbers. I don't think you have to have watched a player to form an opinion but research should extend beyond filtering their averages if you want to declare widely held ATGs as overrated. Challenging the status quo is good but not without multiple layers of information backing up your opinion.

EDIT - Vcs, only the first sentence was a reply to you

Last edited: