• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Better ODI bowler::: McGrath or Wasim

Who is better ODI bowler? Only pure bowling.

• Total voters

miscer

U19 Cricketer
mcgrath is the better bowler in both forms of the game. he has a better SR, average and economy.

smash84

The Tiger King
true to some extent.............i guess b/c i did not follow too much of McGrath's ODI career and I always thought akram was the best death bowler i saw with so much variety at his disposal

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Purely on statistics McGrath's record craps all over Wasim's.

However Wasim was better looking as a bowler.

If I could only pick one for my team and knew they wouldn't have to bat I'd take McGrath. If I knew that there was a good chance they would have to bat I'd pick Wasim.

Despite their huge stylistic differences there really isn't that much between them as bowlers.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
that might be stretching it
Well McGrath was the best WC bowler by far and had much better averages in certain countries around the world.

McGrath was more consistent than Wasim, at least statistically. There isn't much between these bowlers but Wasim suffered in England and India compared to McGrath.

Maximus0723

State Regular
Purely on statistics McGrath's record craps all over Wasim's.
By that standards, McGraths record craps all over anyone's record!
owever Wasim was better looking as a bowler.

If I could only pick one for my team and knew they wouldn't have to bat I'd take McGrath. If I knew that there was a good chance they would have to bat I'd pick Wasim.

Despite their huge stylistic differences there really isn't that much between them as bowlers.
Average of 16 with boatloads of not outs, isn't too exciting. His batting hardly is a game changer or was ever a game changer. Though, several times his quick cameo has pushed the scoring in late overs. In ODI, having an ability to slog, especially when u bat lower down the order, can be the difference in tight chases. On the flip side, McGrath is basically Chris Martin in ODI. He doesn't provide anything. Nothing.

Wasim also suffered from crappy fielding from his team mates, whereas McGrath benefited from it.

I just don't know why Wasim has an ordinary record vs. England. His record in England (one of the best bowling conditions) isn't that great.

Debris

International 12th Man
Not sure Mcgrath bowled at the death Consistently for Australia.

Did he?
He did bowl at the death a fair bit. Australia had a fair bit more talent to play with and they had some weird theories at certain points. I know for part of one world cup McGrath did not open the bowling.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He did for the most part bowl at the death iirc. They did have those times though where he didn't.

As far as talent in the team goes, I've read so many threads on here saying how great Waqar was :unsure:

There was also Wart Man for a few years there.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Tough one this.

But would just pick Akram as he had a longer career plus almost always bowled his overs in the powerplays plus at the death.

Also i personally seem to have more memories of his very good performances in ODI's more than Mcgrath.

smash84

The Tiger King
Tough one this.

But would just pick Akram as he had a longer career plus almost always bowled his overs in the powerplays plus at the death.

Also i personally seem to have more memories of his very good performances in ODI's more than Mcgrath.
me too

I know it is a faulty measure but does anyone know how many Man of the Match awards did each of them win?

Obviously I recall Wasim's match winning performances more since I didn't follow McGrath's career too much in ODIs but Wasim usually had a big part to play in Pakistan's wins.

smash84

The Tiger King
He did for the most part bowl at the death iirc. They did have those times though where he didn't.

As far as talent in the team goes, I've read so many threads on here saying how great Waqar was :unsure:

There was also Wart Man for a few years there.
Waqar was very very good at his peak but he was always an expensive bowler since he would always attack the batsman's stumps.