• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England can beat India "every day of week": Gough

Shri

Mr. Glass
Right, but the Indian 2nd and 3rd fast bowling is really minnow quality.
Pretty good when the attack has Zaheer as leader. Would love it if there was some way to check Ishant/Sree/Bhajji's averages when Zaheer was in the team in statsguru.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
There are a lot of (IMO) pointless discussions in this thread about what teams have done up to 25 years ago. This England team is very new; the point isn't that they're the best team in the world based on results around the world, but that they have the team to do that now. Ignoring what that idiot Gough said, people have made predictions based on analysis of the current team that is yet to play very much as a unit.

What they did 14 years ago with an entirely different set of players under a different captain and a different coach really isn't relevant because no-one's saying their long-term past results are good.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What series is happening right now ? I am not aware of any match that is being played right now.
Don't think I said there was a series happening right now.
we are debating about the current England side would fare against the current India side if they were to play a match now though.

Jarquis

Pretty good when the attack has Zaheer as leader. Would love it if there was some way to check Ishant/Sree/Bhajji's averages when Zaheer was in the team in statsguru.
There is.

"Matches involving Z Khan"

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
we are debating about the current England side would fare against the current India side if they were to play a match now though.
Hmm, I would back India to win comfortably in India. I would probably back a drawn series in England, which could tip either way depending on the pitches.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Checked it. Sree/Bajjhi/Ishant's averages drop a whole 2 points when Zaheer plays.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...r_involve=7678;template=results;type=allround

All-round records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...r_involve=7678;template=results;type=allround

Blaze 18

Banned
The point is, recent results against teams don't really mean much if you are talking about how they would do mano-e-mano. If you want to talk about how a team is performing relative to others, you might as well go by the rankings. Hence why bringing up India versus Australia and England versus Australia isn't terribly relevant.

As for how the current English side would do against the current Indian side - like I said, it would be a close series if played in England. I would expect India to beat England quite comfortably in India, though. I don't think the conditions in England would be harder than what India encountered in Durban, if anything it would be easier. And while Graeme Swann, who happens to be my favourite spinner currently, is much better than Harris, India traditionally play right-arm spinners much better than they do left-arm ones, especially right-arm off spinners. The big question is, can India take twenty English wickets ? If Zaheer is fit, I would say yes.

gvenkat

State Captain
This is what will happen.. England will be beaten to pulp in India and India would be hard to beat in English conditions, Maybe a series draw is the most likely result.

Jarquis

Hmm, I would back India to win comfortably in India. I would probably back a drawn series in England, which could tip either way depending on the pitches.
I reckon England would win in England and while India would be slight favourites at home I wouldn't be surprised with a drawn series.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The point is, recent results against teams don't really mean much if you are talking about how they would do mano-e-mano. If you want to talk about how a team is performing relative to others, you might as well go by the rankings.
The rankings show how a team has performed. When team makeups change, the performances of a team in the past - even the recent past - lose value. There are other things you can factor in.

Jarquis

The point is, recent results against teams don't really mean much if you are talking about how they would do mano-e-mano. If you want to talk about how a team is performing relative to others, you might as well go by the rankings. Hence why bringing up India versus Australia and England versus Australia isn't terribly relevant.

As for how the current English side would do against the current Indian side - like I said, it would be a close series if played in England. I would expect India to beat England quite comfortably in India, though. I don't think the conditions in England would be harder than what India encountered in Durban, if anything it would be easier. And while Graeme Swann, who happens to be my favourite spinner currently, is much better than Harris, India traditionally play right-arm spinners much better than they do left-arm ones, especially right-arm off spinners. The big question is, can India take twenty English wickets ? If Zaheer is fit, I would say yes.
No, the rankings include games as far as 4(?) years ago.. which is really quite irrelevant when discussion the teams as of now.

As for your very last question.. I still think you'd struggle hugely. Besides Zaheer and Bhaji your bowlers are genuinely poo.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The rankings show how a team has performed. When team makeups change, the performances of a team in the past - even the recent past - lose value. There are other things you can factor in.
So do bowling rankings, which is what marcuss posted, and what the post was in reply to.