• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC approves test championship and other changes...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I love getting to see the minnows in action for a couple of games at the World Cup. I don't see reducing it to ten teams as anything other than a step backwards at a time where the quality of the 11th-14th ranked teams is stronger than ever.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Would like to have a series between the top 2 rather than a one off final after 4 years.

pasag

RTDAS
4 years? What's the point. As if the team has any resemblance over a four year period.

Honestly, Tests are great on their own, they don't need this crap to make it better and it just devalues Tests outside the finals.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, four years is way too long for just four teams given how competitive test cricket is ATM. Make it every two.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
4 years? What's the point. As if the team has any resemblance over a four year period.

Honestly, Tests are great on their own, they don't need this crap to make it better and it just devalues Tests outside the finals.
Yeah, I'd hate to see it become like ODIs where teams have designated periods in which they really don't care about results and just try out different combinations in preparation for later more important time.

IrishOpener

U19 Debutant
With the 2015 World Cup having only 10 teams, can Ireland ( for example ) still qualify?, or would Test teams just get the places automatically?, :-O...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
With the 2015 World Cup having only 10 teams, can Ireland ( for example ) still qualify?, or would Test teams just get the places automatically?, :-O...
I dare say the highest 10 ODI sides would automatically go through. Those aren't necessarily the Test sides though; Ireland could quite conceivably be ahead of Zimbabwe on the ODI rankings without being a Test nation, even if Zimbabwe are one.

IrishOpener

U19 Debutant
That's what it sounds like to me, sadly. I think that's disgraceful.
That isn't right at all, I just don't see how they can justify doing that, the whole point of a World Cup is to have the smaller teams facing the big teams and causing upsets,

well if Zimbabwe don't get Test status back by then, it would leave one spot for other teams?, with 9 teams with Test status at the moment...

IrishOpener

U19 Debutant
I dare say the highest 10 ODI sides would automatically go through. Those aren't necessarily the Test sides though; Ireland could quite conceivably be ahead of Zimbabwe on the ODI rankings without being a Test nation, even if Zimbabwe are one.
I would think the top 10 in Rankings would make more sense, at least it gives teams a chance to get in...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That isn't right at all, I just don't see how they can justify doing that, the whole point of a World Cup is to have the smaller teams facing the big teams and causing upsets,

well if Zimbabwe don't get Test status back by then, it would leave one spot for other teams?, with 9 teams with Test status at the moment...
Well Ireland have full ODI status and are listed on the ODI rankings. It's theoretically (although not realistically) possible for them to be ranked #1 in ODIs without ever playing a Test. If a Test team found itself ranked #11 in ODIs, it wouldn't feature in the World Cup.

Matt79

Global Moderator
The ODI stuff sounds fair enough to me - although the WC is being made more exclusive, the T20 Championship is being expanded, and that's probably the right venue for associates. Not sure how it will work having a league championship AND the World Cup. Will be like having the WWE Championship and the World Heavyweight Championship running around at once in the wrestling.

Agree that the Test play off would be better on a two year basis rather than four.

Matt79

Global Moderator
It said that the ICC are examining the issue of qualification for ICC events - you'd imagine that would include some kind of measure to give the Associates some chance to participate.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I really like the idea of a Test Championship, but am with many other in the disappointment at losing World Cup sides.

elmadrid

Cricket Spectator
Disgraceful to Do this to Associate Cricket!!! A world cup gives major opportunities for a country to develops further and the interest grows even more in that particular country.

I don't understand why its not 12 teams? I am confident that the top 2 associate teams will be able to play good cricket against the big teams...

This is a step towards the wrong direction.