• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pre-War Cricket Draft

Flyonthewall

U19 Captain
Round 1 Picks
Blakus - WG Grace
Zaremba - SF Barnes
Fredfertang - Wally Hammond
Aussie - JJ Kotze
Himmanv - Bill O'Reilly
Michaelf7777777 - Jack Hobbs
Flyonthewall - Clarrie Grimmett
Marcuss - Les Ames
Pasag - Victor Trumper
Somerset - George Lohmann

Round 2 Picks
Somerset - KS Ranjitsinjhi
Pasag - Herbert Sutcliffe
Marcuss - Aubrey Faulkner
Flyonthewall - Harold Larwood
Michaelf7777777 - George Headley
Himmanv - Fred Spofforth
Aussie - Charles Macartney
Fredfertang - Stanley Jackson
Zaremba - Maurice Tate
Blakus - Monty Noble

Round 3 Picks
Zaremba - Frank Woolley
Michaelf7777777 - Wilfred Rhodes
Aussie - Tibby Cotter
Fredfertang - Douglas Jardine
Flyonthewall - Stan McCabe
Somerset - Charlie Turner
Blakus - Hugh Trumble
Himmanv - Hedley Verity
Marcuss - Bill Voce
Pasag - Clement Hill

Round 4 Picks
Pasag - CB Fry
Marcuss - Bill Ponsford
Himmanv -
Blakus -
Somerset -
Flyonthewall -
Fredfertang -
Aussie -
Michaelf7777777 -
Zaremba -

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
Did a search as usual. Was another one of those bowlers reported to be exceptionally quick. Very under the radar though.

JBMAC

State Captain
Good work aussie.
Can you (or someone) educate us about TC?
HowSTAT! Player Profile (Tests))

This is a fascinating read. Take the time to peruse.

Tibby Cotter was a short (5'8") fast bowler who generated extreme pace from powerful chest and shoulders and on at least 20 occasions shattered the stumps or bails so quick was he. He was also a more than useful batsman, and in a grade match for Glebe he once smashed 152 in 70 minutes in an innings which included 16 sixes.

He made his debut for New South Wales in 1901 and made his Test debut against England at the end of the 1903-04 series and in his second Test - the last at the MCG - he took 8 for 65 to guide Australia to victory. He was included in the 1905 side which toured England, taking 121 wickets at 20.19, playing three Tests and taking 7 for 148 in the first innings at The Oval. He took five-for in the first two Tests of the 1907-08 Ashes, and in England in 1909 he took 17 wickets at 21.47 in another Australian Ashes success.

He was again in good for against South Africa in 1910-11 and the following season struggled against England ina series increasingly overshadowed by the bitter dispute between leading players and the board. As a result, he was one of six leading cricketers who refused to tour England for the 1912 Trinagular tournament. That was the end of his international career. For the Glebe club, he took 295 wickets at 20.20 between 1900-01 and 1914-15.

He joined the Australian Light Horse, and in 1917 at Beersheba he peeped over the rim of a trench to verify what he had seen in his periscope and was shot dead by a sniper. Shortly before his death he is said to have tossed up a ball of mud and said to a colleague: "That's my last bowl ... something's going to happen. (CRICINFO)

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Is there a chance we could get this done in the next week or so? Otherwise might need someone to take over my side.

Flyonthewall

U19 Captain
It hasn't quite been 24 hours since the last pick, but I want to keep this draft moving.

I need a class opening batsman, so Stewart Dempster it is. New Zealand's first great batsman IMO, averaging a mighty 65 in his 10 tests.

Morbo's Disciples
1. Stewart Dempster
4. Stan McCabe
9. Harold Larwood
10. Clarrie Grimmett

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Surely the 24 hour rule should be adhered to? :p
It's a fundamental part to the draft really

Flyonthewall

U19 Captain
Surely the 24 hour rule should be adhered to? :p
It's a fundamental part to the draft really
Well, if Somerset says he wants Dempster within the next 3 hours, he can have him and I'll pick again. If not, it stands.

Bear in mind that I'm trying to incorporate Pasag's concerns also.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well, if Somerset says he wants Dempster within the next 3 hours, he can have him and I'll pick again. If not, it stands.

Bear in mind that I'm trying to incorporate Pasag's concerns also.
What if he wants Richardson?

For Pasag's concerns, make it 12 hours from the end of Round 4.