Page 48 of 61 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPNcricinfo World XI

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    I never post with arrogance to anyone. I respectfully debate with everyone. That is just the usual gross mischaracterisation of how the CW elist view the way i post in this new era of CW.
    Sigged.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post

Here lies the problem I think.
    Well i should have fleshed it out more saying "change my mind with the majority current era of CW posters". Since when i first came of this site when people like Faaipdeoid, A Massive zebra, TEC (still around), Richard, C_C, Slove Love, SJS (not around as much as before), Swevy, Luckyeddie & a few others who names aren't coming to me ATM. It used to be as you read & had debates with folks of that ilk, you learnt a few things & your POVs can/could be changed on various cricket matters.

Just to use 1 one example C_C was reason i started rating Tendy over Lara as a test batsman. With the current era of CWers, i expect just dull debates with nothing really to learn that would change my mind.

International Debutant M0rphin3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Let me make it easy for you mate:

vcs
    Cricket discussion forums used to be so much better back in the day. These modern flat-track bullies wouldn't last 5 pages with the great debaters of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Avada Kedavra View Post
    Great team chosen by cricinfo.McGrath,Imran,Hadlee and Murali unlucky to miss out,but everyone in that side deserves to be there.
    a team made out of all those players left out of the first two teams still makes a bloody good unit

sehwag
    sutcliffe
    ponting
    g.chappell
    compton
    miller
    ames (wk)
    hadlee
    ambrose
    mcgrath
    grimmett

actually i love this team. it looks much much better than cricinfo's second XI. and, but for bradman this is not in any other way inferior to the first xi, either.
    Last edited by bagapath; 27-10-2010 at 02:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    a team made out of all those players left out of the first two teams still makes a bloody good unit

sehwag
    sutcliffe
    ponting
    g.chappell
    compton
    miller
    ames (wk)
    hadlee
    ambrose
    mcgrath
    grimmett

actually i love this team. it looks much much better than cricinfo's second XI. and, but for bradman this is not in any other way inferior to the first xi, either.
    How about G. Pollock in place of Compton?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar

sehwag
    sutcliffe
    ponting
    g.chappell
    compton
    miller
    ames (wk)
    hadlee
    ambrose
    mcgrath
    grimmett

Isn't Ponting a little out of place in that XI?

Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    How about G. Pollock in place of Compton?
    nah. pollock played just 23 tests; not enough to demand a place in an all time world xi when there are equally good/ better players with longer test careers available for selection. don't be fooled by his average of 60. compton, after the same 23 tests, averaged 66.

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Isn't Ponting a little out of place in that XI?
    Not at all.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

nah. pollock played just 23 tests; not enough to demand a place in an all time world xi when there are equally good/ better players with longer test careers available for selection. don't be fooled by his average of 60. compton, after the same 23 tests, averaged 66.

Actually there are more reasons to consider G. Pollock great than just his average. But fair enough. If you want to keep some min number of tests as criterion, there are 3Ws, Border, Barrington and Waugh that deserve consideration before Compton. But again, fair enough.

Banned

sehwag
    sutcliffe
    ponting
    g.chappell
    compton
    miller
    ames (wk)
    hadlee
    ambrose
    mcgrath
    grimmett

A great side.Here is mine:

1.Sehwag
    2.Hayden
    3.Ponting
    4.Kallis
    5.Dravid
    6.Sangakkara
    7.Pollock
    8.Hadlee
    9.Kumble
    10.Ambrose
    11.McGrath

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by Avada Kedavra View Post
    A great side.Here is mine:

1.Sehwag
    2.Hayden
    3.Ponting
    4.Kallis
    5.Dravid
    6.Sangakkara
    7.Pollock
    8.Hadlee
    9.Kumble
    10.Ambrose
    11.McGrath
    Is there a reason all these players have played in recent times
    Last edited by GotSpin; 27-10-2010 at 07:00 AM.
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

giihjih
    Last edited by Ruckus; 27-10-2010 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Drunken Bull****

Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    Actually there are more reasons to consider G. Pollock great than just his average. But fair enough. If you want to keep some min number of tests as criterion, there are 3Ws, Border, Barrington and Waugh that deserve consideration before Compton. But again, fair enough.
    your current status as school boy/girl cricketer makes it appear as though you are 12 or something. but, i realize, you are not. yes, there are indeed more reasons to consider g pollock great than his average alone.

but compton, for my money, had everything one needs to belong in this team. he was successful all around the world against various opponents for many many years - an important trait he shares with the great border, waugh and barrington you have mentioned. he played the game hard and with a will to win - unlike the dour barrington but more like waugh and border.

what sets him apart from all of them is that he had all the strokes in the book which he employed without inhibition; and he even added his own invention to the coaching manual - the falling sweep. border and waugh were limited in their stroke production - they preferred effectiveness to flair. barrington chose safety over crowd pleasing. they all could turn matches around with hard work, guts and zen like concentration. compton, OTOH, was the kind of cricketer who could take a game by its ears and shake it up within a session. his mercurial style was good enough to lift the sagging spirits of a war ravaged britain and give them hope to enjoy life, very similar to what bradman's batsmanship did for an australia under economic depression. in an all-time xi we need style, flair and innovation; because substance is a given at this level we are talking about. compton had it all in plenty.

R_D
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    LOL @ "Was it actually Virender Sehwag batting".

brilliant !

Page 48 of 61 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread Information