• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

Fusion

Global Moderator
I'm sorry, but when was the last time the ICC had any credibility? Nothing new there.

I think there were two options -- life bans, or a slap on the wrist.

I wish I could pretend to be surprised the ICC have gone for the slap on the wrist.
As much as I find the ICC incompetent, what exactly have they done wrong here? Given a sentence that you disagree with? They appointed well respected judges to hear the case, and then handed out punishments which effectively end the careers of 2 of the 3 and leave the 3rd one with a very slight chance of making a comeback. You do realize that if they had gone for a harsher sentence, say life, in all probability the verdict would have been appealed to the the Court of Arbitration in Sports (CAS) and would have been reversed? Heck, Amir is already appealing his ban! It is a first (proven) offence of spot-fixing for these three. I can't think of any respectable legal system in the world that goes for a maximum punishment on a first time offence unless the crime is specially heinous (like murder). You may think that Spot Fixing is akin to Match Fixing and hence is the most heinous crime one can commit in sports, but obviously that's not how the judges saw it. I don't see fault with ICC here. They established a fair hearing, handed out just punishments, and I believe sent out a clear message that this type of behavior would not be tolerated.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anyway, what a joke

Where is the proof that Aamir and Asif were offered money?

Nowhere

Where is the proof that Asif and Aamir received money?

Same place

Complete ****ing joke of a decision that robs fans the world over of seeing 2 of the best talents of their generation

Blaze 18

Banned
She has basically said that the people of pakistan should be upset with this verdict. What is the problem with that, I don't see it. There is no room to call her paranoid, or to say that she is alluding to a conspiracy. I don't see it, this is an over reaction.

This is a side issue anyway, but let's not go over the top, or get overly slanderous. After all, a mother has just seen her teenage sons promising career go down the pan, is it so hard to appreciate that viewpoint. Or should she be nodding her head saying he deserved it, just because you are.
As a mother, she has every right to be upset in a situation like this. However, that doesn't mean it is right to come out and insinuate that Mohammad Aamer has been treated unfairly because of his nationality. That is preposterous. There is only one person primarily responsible for Aamer's predicament - Aamer himself. The irony here is that she is appealing to the same people that her son let down for the love of dollars.

Sorry - no sympathies from my side. I was a fan of his until this verdict came out, now I couldn't care less what happens to his career. As for Salman Butt and Mohammad Asif - the less said the better.

On a side note, Pakistan have won their first test series since 2006 and first ODI series since 2008, in a matter of weeks. Coincidence ?

smash84

The Tiger King
Shut up all of you. I will not tolerate 5 years no Amir. Grrr. AARGHHH. JOKE WHAT A JOKE!
5 Years no Amir is like 5 years no chocolate. I can't manage it.
I hope you were not lamenting like this on the departure of Salim Malik as well.

As a mother, she has every right to be upset in a situation like this. However, that doesn't mean it is right to come out and insinuate that Mohammad Aamer has been treated unfairly because of his nationality. That is preposterous. There is only one person primarily responsible for Aamer's predicament - Aamer himself. The irony here is that she is appealing to the same people that her son let down for the love of dollars.

Sorry - no sympathies from my side. I was a fan of his until this verdict came out, now I couldn't care less what happens to his career. As for Salman Butt and Mohammad Asif - the less said the better.

On a side note, Pakistan have won their first test series since 2006 and first ODI series since 2008, in a matter of weeks. Coincidence ?
Very well said Blaze especially the part in bold.

social

On a side note, Pakistan have won their first test series since 2006 and first ODI series since 2008, in a matter of weeks. Coincidence ?[/QUOT

Sure, Shoaib and Kamran Akmal were performing at the same time

Agent Nationaux

International Coach

She didn't say that. She asked for the Pakistani people to protest, two completely different things.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Anyway, what a joke

Where is the proof that Aamir and Asif were offered money?

Nowhere

Where is the proof that Asif and Aamir received money?

Same place

Complete ****ing joke of a decision that robs fans the world over of seeing 2 of the best talents of their generation
I'm not privy to all the facts of the situation and, sub judice being what it is, I don't suppose anyone else is either, but given it's been reported that both bowled no-balls at exactly the points promised by the middle man to the undercover reporter and their captain was found in possession of £38k in cash, which included notes with the same serial numbers as paid to the middle man by the NotW, it's insulting to the intelligence to say there's no proof.

social

I'm not privy to all the facts of the situation and, sub judice being what it is, I don't suppose anyone else is either, but given it's been reported that both bowled no-balls at exactly the points promised by the middle man to the undercover reporter and their captain was found in possession of £38k in cash, which included notes with the same serial numbers as paid to the middle man by the NotW, it's insulting to the intelligence to say there's no proof.
So the captain had cash on him,- I'm sorry but big ****ing deal

The only things we know are:

a. NOTW (hardly gospel)

b. Bowlers delivering no balls

c. No proof of any money changing hands

d. Pakistanis

Prior, Haddin and Dhoni rated a few lines but WTF, give these guys life!

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
It is insulting to the intelligence, but a verdict in a legal system or a hearing in this case isn't decided on the basis of deduction, i.e. all three cheated and were caught on camera; money found on Butt; therefore Amir and Asif would also have received money.

Hard evidence must be provided that Asif and Aamir had money on them. That is why I think the CPS should not have prosecuted. However this is a hearing by the ICC and so the rules are probably different.

Blaze 18

Banned
She didn't say that. She asked for the Pakistani people to protest, two completely different things.
She didn't say it directly, but that is what she seemed to be suggesting.

I watched the video, and what she is basically saying is this : "it is sad for Pakistan and Pakistanis that such a good player has been treated this harshly. The people of Pakistan should protest against this."

Make what of it you will.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
She didn't say it directly, but that is what she seemed to be suggesting.

I watched the video, and what she is basically saying is this : "it is sad for Pakistan and Pakistanis that such a good player has been treated this harshly. The people of Pakistan should protest against this."

Make what of it you will.
It's all very subjective, but she was only appealing to her fellow citizens.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
it is a farce, asif and butt should have got life bans and amir should have got 7-10 years...

Blaze 18

Banned
So the captain had cash on him,- I'm sorry but big ****ing deal

The only things we know are:

a. NOTW (hardly gospel)

b. Bowlers delivering no balls

c. No proof of any money changing hands

d. Pakistanis

Prior, Haddin and Dhoni rated a few lines but WTF, give these guys life!
What have Prior, Haddin and Dhoni done ?