• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
SHAMELESS Pakistan stooped to a new low yesterday by claiming Jonathan Trott's bust-up with Wahab Riaz was so violent they were ready to call the police! ... (cut)...

Lol, i know theres the eng vs pak thread but this one deserved a thread of its own...
I have merged this thread into the match-fixing one as there's already a lot of discussion about this in here already, so to keep it in one place.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm very interested to know the relevance of Prior's sledge to the topic at hand.

Saying "England players" have done this before is a crass generalisation and muddies the waters. One might as well say "England players" set leg theory fields or take pedalos out whilst pissed.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm very interested to know the relevance of Prior's sledge to the topic at hand.

Saying "England players" have done this before is a crass generalisation and muddies the waters. One might as well say "England players" set leg theory fields or take pedalos out whilst pissed.
Yes, that is true. We all occasionally fall into the trap of generalizing when it should be judged on a strictly case-by-case basis.

Having said that, if Trott taunted Riaz and provoked a physical altercation, it is pretty classless.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, that is true. We all occasionally fall into the trap of generalizing when it should be judged on a strictly case-by-case basis.

Having said that, if Trott taunted Riaz and provoked a physical altercation, it is pretty classless.
A bit classles, maybe. But I have sympathy for Trott and Broad in particular, one of the biggest moments of their careers has been tainted in the worst way possible... and Riaz is one of the players alledgedly involved. I can understand why Trott has gone ott.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Anyone else find it highly ironic that we have all of these people bleating about how terrible Trott is, without any evidence that he's actually done anything wrong, other than the word of some fruitloop that enjoys eating cricket-balls and pitch-tampering. The irony being that these people were probably the same people who defended the Pakistani team because there 'was no evidence' that they had done anything wrong other than a newspaper report..

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yuvraj Singh on match fixing

Cricketers meet hundreds of people socially, at events, parties. Have any "approaches" ever been made to you?
These things happen. You know what kind of people are around, what they are trying to do - and I'm not just saying bookies or guys like that. When you meet people, I believe you have to present a kind of body language that says, "Do not mess with me or even think of saying anything strange to me." You meet a lot of people who will try and give you advice or want you to get into bad stuff or who ask you to go and meet people you don't know or aren't interested in knowing at all.

For me, my body language is such that nobody has the guts to even come and talk to me about things like this, ever. You present yourself like that, like nobody can come and touch you. If you can do that then nobody can point a finger on you. I have always been like that and I have never been vulnerable in this case.

:laugh:

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Hmm, don't think it's all that appropriate to call differing opinions bleating.

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Quite.

And while we're at it, it's worth just setting the record straight yet again: as would be reasonably obvious to anyone who gave a split-second's thought to it, Prior wasn't sledging Tendulkar about the car he drives. This from the article to which Sanz posted a link:

People who do know me know that if I muck up I hold my hand up and admit it, but I was being accused of stuff I hadn't even done. That Porsche comment ... why would I say that to Tendulkar? He's got aeroplanes.

What happened was that we'd had a long day in the field the day before, and I said something about keeping our npower energy up, which was picked up by the stump mic, and because npower were the sponsors, there was a bottle of champagne in my kit bag the next day. Well, at the time Alastair Cook wanted a new TV, so next day he's at short leg going 'Bang & Olufsen, Bang & Olufsen, great televisions' and I think Porsche Carreras are great cars, so that's why I mentioned Porsche.
Seems a tad more plausible than that he was mocking one of India's richest men about what car he drives...

vcs

Well, I was the one who brought up Prior's comment and I've already acknowledged it was only a diversion with no real relevance to this particular case. For some reason, I was reminded of it, that's all. Hope that clears it up.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
It's his opinion that they're bleating
Well yeah, but it's not like it's trolls coming in here with wild conspiracies, it was generally respected and long-time members who thought what Trott allegedly did wasn't on. Incidentally, I didn't see anyone complaining how "terrible" he is. It was pretty measured stuff really. I didn't see the people commenting on Trott as those who "were probably the same people who defended the Pakistani team because there 'was no evidence' that they had done anything wrong other than a newspaper report" either, so that was far off the mark.

I reckon it was a poor post that wasn't thought out and would only get people's backs up, thus I called it out. Disagree if you will, but I'm not making wild claims here nor falsely generalising as PhoenixFire did.

irottev

U19 Cricketer
He explained: "When Riaz was returning after warming-up, Trott called him a 'match fixer' and that he was harming Test cricket. Then he hit his face with the pad.
lol at hitting with batting pads. What a couple of bitches. Shoulda hit him with his handbag instead.

Flem274*

123/5
lol at hitting with batting pads. What a couple of bitches. Shoulda hit him with his handbag instead.
I reckon it was one of those "buck up son" taps/raps on the cheek tbh, not a full two hand swing.

If it was a proper swing, then lol. Should have just broken his nose and be done with it.

Uppercut

What an idiot Trott is. But then English players have proven to be somewhat classless with these kind of remarks about off-the-field matters. I remember Prior sledging some Indian batsman a few years ago and boasting that he drives an expensive car or something. Can someone refresh my memory on the exact incident?
Yeah, A Porsche. "I drive a Porsche, What car do you drive?" IIRC.

When asked by the media if he used the sledge against Tendulkar, he replied with "That Porsche comment ... why would I say that to Tendulkar? He's got aeroplanes." :laugh:
:laugh:how thick is Prior I bet even a rubbish Indian player like Yousuf Pathan makes more then him.
What's the issue with asking Tendulkar what he drives? I'm obviously missing something.
There was no sledge. I think we're actually entitled to ask "how thick is Xuhaib?"

The day before Prior had said "c'mon guys, let's keep our npower energy up!" and it was picked up on the stump mic. Npower promptly gave him a bottle of champagne at the end of the day's play. The next day, for a larf, they decided to see what else they could blag by namedropping near the stumps and hence he started talking about porsches.

It's a bit sad that this keeps following Matt Prior around, especially considering it would be such a bizarre and inoffensive sledge!

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Yuvraj Singh on match fixing

Cricketers meet hundreds of people socially, at events, parties. Have any "approaches" ever been made to you?
These things happen. You know what kind of people are around, what they are trying to do - and I'm not just saying bookies or guys like that. When you meet people, I believe you have to present a kind of body language that says, "Do not mess with me or even think of saying anything strange to me." You meet a lot of people who will try and give you advice or want you to get into bad stuff or who ask you to go and meet people you don't know or aren't interested in knowing at all.

For me, my body language is such that nobody has the guts to even come and talk to me about things like this, ever. You present yourself like that, like nobody can come and touch you. If you can do that then nobody can point a finger on you. I have always been like that and I have never been vulnerable in this case.

:laugh:

I actually like the guy even more after he's gotten fat, tbh. :p

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
There was no sledge. I think we're actually entitled to ask "how thick is Xuhaib?"

The day before Prior had said "c'mon guys, let's keep our npower energy up!" and it was picked up on the stump mic. Npower promptly gave him a bottle of champagne at the end of the day's play. The next day, for a larf, they decided to see what else they could blag by namedropping near the stumps and hence he started talking about porsches.

It's a bit sad that this keeps following Matt Prior around, especially considering it would be such a bizarre and inoffensive sledge!
No need to get personal.VCS mentioned an alleged sledge by Prior on an Indian which I thought was dumb to use against arguably the richest cricketers on the planet.Thanks for providing the back story on this inoffensive comment my life feels so complete now.