Page 128 of 138 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130 ... LastLast
Results 1,906 to 1,920 of 2070
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: ***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

Quote Originally Posted by AlanJLegend View Post
    +1 to this.

If something like this happened in Australia and, for example, Michael Clarke as captain ordered Pat Cummins to bowl no balls, I would be pretty upset and quite frankly insulted if at least Clarke didn't get a life ban.

TBH anything less than a life ban is suggesting such behaviour is forgivable, which in my opinion it is really not.
    I have mixed feelings over this.

I would be very angry at the players, but I remember back to the scandals of the 90s and 00s that Warne was involved in and I remember hating him for them but really wanting him to continue to play. I guess if it was anyone other than Warne I would be shocked and angry and want to see them removed from the game permanently but Warne was so good and so unique that I guess I'd pretty much forgive him anything to watch him bowl.

I feel a little sorry for Amir. I hope his appeal is successful and his suspension is reduced to 2 - 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    You seriously suggesting there's no difference between cheating to win and deliberately underperforming to order? Sorry, but it's a completely different ball park. Where does it end? Arresting Richie McCaw for killing the ball?

& it wasn't just that Butt had a large sum of cash on him that he couldn't account for (it looks dodgy, but hardly proof of anything itself), but rather that it was the same notes that the NOTW had paid to the middle man. Now whilst there's no direct proof (at least in the public domain) that any of it found its way to Amir or Asif, they undeniably did bowl the no-balls as requested. Whether it was for money or because they wanted to please their captain is immaterial; in the first instance they're bent and greedy in the second bent and stupid.

&, say what you want about the NOTW, but the CPS are unlikely to want to waste their time if there's no reasonable prospect of a conviction.
    I've played in quite a few games where fast bowlers have "run through the crease" and, to the best of my knowledge, none of them were banned for years or faced the prospect of a jail term

Fact is that unless there is tangible proof that they were at least offered money for doing so, it is a ridiculously harsh judgement on both Aamir and Asif

As for the CPS, two words - Keiren Fallon

Remarkable similarities and a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge waste of time and money

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    I've played in quite a few games where fast bowlers have "run through the crease" and, to the best of my knowledge, none of them were banned for years or faced the prospect of a jail term

Fact is that unless there is tangible proof that they were at least offered money for doing so, it is a ridiculously harsh judgement on both Aamir and Asif

As for the CPS, two words - Keiren Fallon

Remarkable similarities and a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge waste of time and money
    If there was no evidence, they would have been found not guilty. Seeing as how they were found guilty, I think we can assume the evidence actually exists. The evidence, if you read through it, is actually extremely damning and is pretty much as strong as you could get without an actual confession. They actually admitted to taking money from the bookmaker but were trying to suggest it was somehow nothing to do with spot-fixing. The defence is pretty laughable in the face of the other evidence.

International Vice-Captain bagapath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    I don't know if this video has been linked yet, but this is one of the reasons why I rate Michael Holding so highly as a cricketing personality.

YouTube - Michael Holding almost in tears over the Cricket Scandal
    WAFG.... Mikey! Let me buy you a drink, mate! Love to see one honest man in this corrupt world!

Quote Originally Posted by Debris View Post
    If there was no evidence, they would have been found not guilty. Seeing as how they were found guilty, I think we can assume the evidence actually exists. The evidence, if you read through it, is actually extremely damning and is pretty much as strong as you could get without an actual confession. They actually admitted to taking money from the bookmaker but were trying to suggest it was somehow nothing to do with spot-fixing. The defence is pretty laughable in the face of the other evidence.
    In relation to Aamir or Asif, I've not seen any evidence to this effect

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    I have mixed feelings over this.

I would be very angry at the players, but I remember back to the scandals of the 90s and 00s that Warne was involved in and I remember hating him for them but really wanting him to continue to play. I guess if it was anyone other than Warne I would be shocked and angry and want to see them removed from the game permanently but Warne was so good and so unique that I guess I'd pretty much forgive him anything to watch him bowl.
    Well said. A lof of fans have this attitude regarding amir. They also had this attitude regarding Wasim Akram.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

School Boy/Girl Captain

Quote Originally Posted by sehwag fan View Post
    don't see an issue really if remorse had to be shown it would have happened straight away back in Sept he's gone too far now and can''t change his stance till he gets the verdict from his final appeal.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuhaib View Post
    don't see an issue really if remorse had to be shown it would have happened straight away back in Sept he's gone too far now and can''t change his stance till he gets the verdict from his final appeal.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    In relation to Aamir or Asif, I've not seen any evidence to this effect
    They have admitted to taking money from bookmakers (they said it was because he was their agent ).

Amir accepts money from bookmaker
    Last edited by Debris; 06-02-2011 at 12:55 AM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Absolute joke IMO. Had to be life bans for all. Amir will be coming back at an age when most other blokes still haven't debuted FFS. Really upset with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Absolute joke IMO. Had to be life bans for all. Amir will be coming back at an age when most other blokes still haven't debuted FFS. Really upset with this.
    At least they didn't get a slap on the proverbial wrist. 5 years out of the game for a quick could well kill their career.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    The suspended sentences for Butt and Asif seem rather pointless. What kind of offence would they have to commit for the suspended portions to be activated?

If it's similar offences they become meaningless because they'd surely cop longer bans in any event.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    I'm assuming its a means of ensuring they satisfactorily complete that course they've been required to do

Thread Information