• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Westfield being allowed to play club cricket (which will be in line with his original punishment) is irrelevant to Amir and certainly shouldn't lead to him being able to play professional cricket early (not in line with the original punishment).

Amir got off lightly enough as it is.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Lightly? He served time in jail for being manipulated by senior players.

Isn't 5 years the minimum according to the ECB. And what's wrong with playing domestic anyway.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, anything short of a life ban was getting off lightly and what justification is there for making it even lighter by letting him play any cricket before the time is up. Remember this is the player who after being banned then proceeded to play matches in breach of it the ban.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As a question (and one I don't know the answer to) - from what I've read on the BBC, Westfield is participating in programmes to educate other players in the folly of his actions, has accepted he was wrong and has had an unblemished record of good behaviour since.

Could you say the same about Aamir?

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
As a question (and one I don't know the answer to) - from what I've read on the BBC, Westfield is participating in programmes to educate other players in the folly of his actions, has accepted he was wrong and has had an unblemished record of good behaviour since.

Could you say the same about Aamir?
Yes he did the video stuff.

It's great that Westfield can play. I'm not saying he should be deprived of that. I have been against jail from the beginning anyway. They aren't a threat to society anyway. With regards to banning, well Amir has done 3 years so I think that's punishment enough. He won't repeat it and if he does then a permenant ban should be given.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I guess the one reason to not be lenient to Aamir is that he did ignore his ban and play some club cricket against his conviction. I'm inclined to be lenient on him, but he doesn't have such a squeaky-clean record as Westfield and his offence was arguably greater in the first place. I'd expect Aamir to serve his time and then be allowed back to cricket in the same way that Westfield has.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
To be honest I didn't care what punishment the courts gave them (especially with all the time off for good behaviour stuff), the only punishment I think should've been life bans, it's the only way to show players that this sort of behaviour isn't acceptable.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I could have used any other criminal offence and it would have he same effect. Age is not an excuse for doing what he did.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
17 is young, especially when considering that he was trapped into it by seniors. First time offence, 17, trapped and pressurised; they should all be valid reasons to show leniency.

And no one was defrauded. They were going to place with this one being an example.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
It's my personal belief shared by others. For example Atherton thought the same and so did one of the judges who imposed a 5 year ban (he wanted to reduce it but couldn't due to min 5 year ruling).

But something like murder requires a complete different state of mind and therefore should have a different criteria of judgement as compared to spot fixing.

Eds

International Debutant
Oh yeah I get that, not trying to nitpick or anything. Just wondering what it was that led you (and the others) to that opinion.