• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best bowler among the rest

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Who's the best bowler from a non - test playing country at the moment?

Boyd Rankin comes immediately to the mind, and is a class act. There may be other bowlers from non-test sides who look impressive. But my pick is Hamid Hassan from Afganistan. Only fast bowler to bowl to 90mph among rest of the countries (perhaps other than Jonkman from Holland)

Who would be your pick?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Amjad Khan's Danish by birth, of course.

Dockrell the 18yo SLA bowler from Ireland looks a class act too. Surprised he hasn't been nabbed by a county yet, tbh.

EDIT: Looking at his profile on cricinfo I see Zummerzet have signed him now. Disregard.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Few years back Thomas Odoyo was very good with the ball. Ryan ten Doschate, although not a class act with the ball has done well.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I actually think Johnston's a better bowler than Rankin as it stands. He's just an old medium pacer really but he gets nice bounce and carry, moves the ball both ways off the pitch and in the air and has pretty good control. I'm not saying he's the best among the non-Test-playing nations because there are obviously a lot of bowlers I haven't seen, but I'm offering him up there. Rankin has lots of potential but is still really pretty raw.

Of course this very much depends on if Zimbabwe are counted as a Test-playing nation. If they aren't then Price and Rainsford should very much be part of the discussion.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hassan's a class above both Rankin and Johnston from what I've seen. That isn't all that much though, he could potentially just be on a particularly hot streak. Comparing Rankin and Johnston is difficult, but I'd just about come to the same conclusion as Cribb.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Johnston & RtD not from associate nations really tho, tbf. If we include then we could also include the former Dutch cap Nannes and end the discussion here.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Nannes has played for a test nation. Inclusion of him ends right there.
True, but he's really no more or less Australian than Johnston; both born and raised and both played for an associate nation. Only difference is Nannes was good enough to be picked up for Oz afterwards.