• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official New Zealand Domestic Season Thread 2010/11 ***

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Great bowling performance from CD, Milne was particularly impressive with his pace but theres really good variety in their all-round attack. With so many allrounders and Worker and Noema-Barnett able to bowl too they've plenty of options covered. As for ND, the arrival of their Blackcaps will certainly strengthen their squad, and it'll help to have two overseas players in their XI - have to wonder how they managed to sign four of them and have only one play in their first match, while CD signed two and have both ready to perform.

Flem274*

123/5
If Canterbury get Tait for a decent amount of games and the final, they will win tbh. We saw how uncomfortable some domestic blokes look against 145kph today, they will be in trouble if they get 160kph.

As much as I hate to say it, Wellington with Lee should do okay.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Michael Mason>>>Brad Hodge

Bowlers who average under 25 in the Hawke Cup>>>Australian FC batsmen
Hodge's timing throughout his innings was pretty average IMO - I know its being critical since he was the top scorer of the ND innings but he barely timed a ball in all fairness; the six off Rance an exception.

Flem274*

123/5
What would NDs team look like if everyone was available?

Gibbs
Watling
Hodge
Styris
Marshall/Williamson
McGlashan
Vettori
Aldridge
Scott
Boult
Arnel

Pretty scary team tbh.

Howsie

International Captain
How fast does Milne bowl?
High 140's. He's got genuine pace anyway, something not to many bowlers have in this country. On a slow pitch like this to have fullish balls come through head height to the keeper is rather scary.

Boult looked rather sharp too, obviously not as quick as Milne but he looked quite comfortably our quickest bowler.

Flem274*

123/5
Hodge's timing throughout his innings was pretty average IMO - I know its being critical since he was the top scorer of the ND innings but he barely timed a ball in all fairness; the six off Rance an exception.
Probably just got off the plane.

From a spectator point of view I hope he fires against someone (that isn't CD).

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
If Canterbury get Tait for a decent amount of games and the final, they will win tbh. We saw how uncomfortable some domestic blokes look against 145kph today, they will be in trouble if they get 160kph.

As much as I hate to say it, Wellington with Lee should do okay.
Obviously the issue is whether Tait will actually play for Canterbury - no doubt if hes available he'll be in the XI but I'll bet that he doesn't appear in more than 4 matches throughout the tournament. I think Lee's a better bet to consistently appear once he arrives and I agree with your point regarding sheer pace and predict he'll be really effective for Wellington.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
What would NDs team look like if everyone was available?

Gibbs
Watling
Hodge
Styris
Marshall/Williamson
McGlashan
Vettori
Aldridge
Scott
Boult
Arnel

Pretty scary team tbh.
Tim Southee for Scott/Boult/Arnel too. Also given Watling batted so low this evening, do you think Vettori might open the innings when he returns from India given he was quite successful up the order last year?

Mike5181

International Captain
Some of the domestic players will be stressing over the thought of having to face Brett Lee and Shaun Tait :laugh:

Flem274*

123/5
Tim Southee for Scott/Boult/Arnel too. Also given Watling batted so low this evening, do you think Vettori might open the innings when he returns from India given he was quite successful up the order last year?
Woops, forgot Southee.:oops:

Dunno tbh. Pretty sure Watling and Vettori opened last year, so maybe Hodge will drop to four and both will open with Gibbs at three?

Actually, I reckon if they had Gibbs available Vettori will bat down the order a bit.

Howsie

International Captain
1.Warner/Gibbs
2.Hodge
3.Flynn
4.Styris
5.McGlashan
6.Marshall
7.Vettori
8.Southee
9.Aldridge
10.Boult
11.Arnel

Hired guns to open imo.

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Andy Mathieson on the Cricket Company :cool:
Looked pretty quick too - and they said he was bowling up to 145km/h. Given Milne looked quick tonight plus Richard Sherlock's in the Canterbury squad for the HRV Cup and McClenaghan should appear at some point, its good to see a range of bowlers capable of bowling in the 140s in our domestic cricket.