• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would you rather watch...

What would you rather watch?

• Total voters

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For me, it's the innings, every time. There's something romantic and heroic about the notion of one player repelling everything thrown at him, whether it's a battery of pace bowlers on a greentop or spinners on a wearing track with a close-in field.

kingkallis

International Coach
Innings anytime...after reading the subject line - a few came to my mind...so it has to be the innings on mindfield!

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Close, but I prefer the bowlingn innings. Their is nothing more I like in cricket than watching a fired up fast bowler ripping through a strong batting line-up on a flat surface.

_Ed_

That's a very good question. Maybe there's hope for Cricket Chat yet.

I went for the spell. I can't really put my finger on why. Both are fantastic to watch, but I just admire an immense spell in unfriendly conditions that little bit more.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
This has got nothing to do with 'the innings' or 'the spell'. Love minefields more than the roads in general, and hence will love anything on the minefield over anything on the road.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Prior to Graham Gooch against the WIndies at Headingley in 1991 I'd have said the spell, but not after that - greatest solo contribution to a team achievement I've ever seen

_Ed_

This has got nothing to do with 'the innings' or 'the spell'. Love minefields more than the roads in general, and hence will love anything on the minefield over anything on the road.
That's a good point.

But a heroic bowling performance on a road could be a redeeming feature of a match that otherwise doesn't provide much worth watching.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Tough for me. I enjoy a good spell of bowling more than a good innings, but I enjoy cricket in general so much more in bowler-friendly conditions. A good spell of bowling on a road can still often be pretty unattractive.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I voted the bowling performance on a road.

I find it is very hard to fluke a sublime performance on a road. You need to bowl very well to extract wickets from a road against a Test class side. Alternatively, I have witnessed many batsman score streaky run filled innings on an absolute minefield. No real skill involved, just luck in slicing deliveries to third man and ugly heaves over mid-wicket.

I still wish every Test was played on a minefield.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Jeez it wasn't a total road but when Johnson scythed through SA that was one of the best things I've watched in recent memory.

_Ed_

Jeez it wasn't a total road but when Johnson scythed through SA that was one of the best things I've watched in recent memory.
AWTA. I don't even like the bloke, but that was one of my favourite spells ever.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'd say the bowling spell, simply because of how magnificent is looks. Like the batsman are cruising and then suddenly one man turns it around, and all the players are hugging him/groping his arse etc. It is inspiring stuff.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Of the two options I'd probably say a ballsy innings on a minefield. Fred mentioned Goochie's ton at Headingley (IIRC no one else made 30) and it was justifiably rated as the finest innings ever; he was facing three genuine AT greats and, in Patrick Patterson, a bloke who was quicker than any of them (incidentally I thought the metal drag plate on Patterson's boot to protect his toes in his deliver stride was the coolest thing ever).

Don't think bowling spells have to be on roads to be great tho; McGrath was getting help from Lords in 2005 but that was sublime bowling in any estimation.

NZ Guy

U19 Captain
I'd say the bowling spell, simply because of how magnificent is looks. Like the batsman are cruising and then suddenly one man turns it around, and all the players are hugging him/groping his arse etc. It is inspiring stuff.
:blink:Want to rephrase that?