• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Double Bouncer

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
What are people's thoughts on the double bouncer, which is being discussed as a new variation for spin bowlers. The ECB have banned it from county cricket and I know it is banned from the particular club league I play in, but it seems to still be allowed in List A international matches.

Iqbal Abdulla to Parker, OUT, wow! Not sure I've seen anything like this. Abdulla follows through and bowls an intentional double bouncer which raps Parkers pads after the second bounce. He was far enough down the track but it was straight too and the umpire gives it
And earlier...

Iqbal Abdulla to Iqbal, OUT, the ball seemed to bounce twice as Iqbal tried to drive and edged to ball to the hands of Mukund at first slip. He's not happy getting out the that delivery
Hmmm...

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Well it should come as no suprise to anyone that it is legal *coughs de Villiers*

The ball cannot bounce more than twice. I doubt anyone that watches cricket would not know that. However, I agree with you. I have no issue with it being changed to one bounce only. In fact that would make sense.

The law is the law and it isnt a big deal. Just as it wouldnt be a big deal if it changed.

Last edited:

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Am interested in seeing these dismissals. Can only remember seeing ABDV (as shown by Goughy) getting out to a ball like it. Have no realy issue with it myself... as of yet.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Well it should come as no suprise to anyone that it is legal*coughs de Villiers*

The ball cannot bounce more than twice. I doubt anyone that watches cricket would not know that. However, I agree with you. I have no issue with it being changed to one bounce only. In fact that would make sense.

The law is the law and it isnt a big deal. Just as it wouldnt be a big deal if it changed.
I've seen a fair few who did not know it was legal (even prior to the rule changes in the UK). It wouldn't be a big deal if it changed now, but with a spinner using it in a semi-international contest - the impact will be a lot higher if it is changed later rather than sooner.

Sir Alex

Banned
I am not sure how mighty a weapon it can become. And I don't know how it can be "perfected". Just like the slow bouncer it would also become a surprise but no surprise weapon in time.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Think you'll find that more often than not, bowling a ball that bounces twice will get this treatment. Video also includes Ian Healy in 'not knowing wtf is going on' shocker.

Last edited:

TumTum

Banned
After countless experiences with it in the back yard, the double bounce is pretty hard to play :ph34r: (the ball to Bichel was a pie, was more talking about AB and Nasser ones)

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not a great deal of sympathy for AB there. He played a great big swipe at a ball, feet nowhere near it and paid the penalty. Nasser's out was just bad luck, much like Blewett's ball in Perth a few years ago, not unfair. Even if it had bounced twice, again, bad luck in a similar way that getting a ball which spits off a crack is bad luck. It's what happens when you bowl a ball on a surface made of dirt. The only way you'll get rid of that would be to play on matting and I don't think any of us want to see that.

If someone is able to deliberately bowl a ball which bounces twice, is accurate and gets batters out, it's at least as skillful as a slower one and I don't think they should be penalised for it.

Last edited:
Just saw a video of a double bouncer on the web. Kind of crazy thing to do, in the video I saw the bowler got smashed for 6 but there must be someone bowling advantage to the double bouncer. My guess would be surprise, I doubt this type of bowl is used very often and it can work well in confusing batsmen. But I do think it's a bit pushing the boundaries of fair play and I think it's fair for it to be banned.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I guess it could be a case of decreasing the leverage that you can use to get under the ball, if it were an accurate double bouncer. But really, at this stage, I see no need to change the laws.