• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Opinion on Scrapping the 50 Over Format?

Scrapping Of 50 Overs Format?

• Total voters

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
There just needs to be less meaningless non-stop ODI series.

The perfect tour for me would be two T20s, 3 ODIs and three tests (should be five for the top teams though).

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Would suck for the non-test playing nations if they were scrapped completely.
Don't they have their own first class competition between countries for which most of the players can't find time away from jobs? The name is at the tip of my tongue.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't they have their own first class competition between countries for which most of the players can't find time away from jobs? The name is at the tip of my tongue.
Intercontinental Cup. It would still be disastrous if ODIs were abolished though. They're realistically the only exposure to anything remotely resembling test-level bowling that aspiring Associate nations have.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
The odd 50 over game the minnows play against the top 8 teams also bring in some cash and international exposure, besides providing them the rare opportunity of guaging their progress towards achieving true top class standards. T20 isn't going to help them in the same way.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
There just needs to be less meaningless non-stop ODI series.

The perfect tour for me would be two T20s, 3 ODIs and three tests (should be five for the top teams though).
That would indeed be the ideal tour. Have these tours and then some marquee tournaments like the ODI world cup, T20 world cup and also find a way to play a test world finals between the two top teams every 4 years.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
A player should maximum play 8-9 months of cricket. And each tour should have top players, not like the India-Sri Lanka-Zimbabwe series. There is too much cricket being
played right now and no one cares about most matches. I have been a supporter of T20 cricket but after the overdose of it, it has become unwatchable. I didn't watch even a single ball of the T20 World Cup - a cup which was held within a year of the last one. Absolutely meaningless (though English fans might of course disagree).

T20 cricket is ok for financial health of the game but the soul of the game lies in first class and test cricket. You have to balance that properly and not be all greedy about money which every one wants a share of.

As far as ODI cricket goes, the World Cup has gained credibility because of a history of 35 years. We should hold very few ODI and continue with the world cup as it means a lot to the players and public. T20 is crap too (I have changed my opinion on this topic and can go on a huge rant why T20 is not cricket in the true sense). But it will stay and only grow which is good in a way as it introduces cricket to new audiences, so I am fine with that.

Have more 5 test series between top teams please. A man can dream. Sigh.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
and also find a way to play a test world finals between the two top teams every 4 years.
There should be 3 tests in each country. A 6 test series in all back to back. Like we had RSA v Aus. Now THAT would be awesome.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
There should be 3 tests in each country. A 6 test series in all back to back. Like we had RSA v Aus. Now THAT would be awesome.
And use champions league away goals theory to decide the champion.

We can dream on and on.

NZ Guy

U19 Captain
Please do not scrape ODI's ICC think of the children, what will they play at school, T20? Imagine what our test players will be like if this happens:ph34r: . Really its simple economics, supply too much and the level of satisfaction will decrease, so less people will go to games, just play less games, look at football ffs

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
The amount of fans in a stadium is not a measure of the continued success of ODI's, the fact is fans still watch in great numbers on television. Numbers that are big enough to demand significant television contracts, that generate large sponsorship $$$ and continue to make ODI's a viable format.

...and I think this might be the end of discussing cricket issues with you. Thank you for your time.
I am not in the marketing department of NZ cricket. But ticket sales must be a critical success factor that they count on when an ODI series starts. It forms part of the revenue base.

_KiLLeR_

Cricket Spectator
No need to change 50 overs :laugh: .......do series of 5 twenty20s and 2 one days ..... this will not be boring .... one days are the best part of cricket , it is running for many decades and has many records also ..... if icc will close 50 overs , all previous heros will be sad :sleep:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Here's what Ian Chappell has to say about it. I personally agree with a large part of it. The article is rightly named 'Don't change the rules, play better'. I personally like this part:

"Whenever the fielding captain stops trying with all his might to capture a wicket and relies more on the opposition batsmen committing cricketing suicide, the game stops being an interesting contest. When the batting side is happy to score at five or six an over without taking any risks, and the fielding side is content to concede runs in singles, the game loses its meaning.

There's only one reason to play cricket and that's to win the contest. You won't always achieve that pleasing result but players will have fun trying if the captain strives to make the contest interesting. When a fielding captain's mind is clouded with negativity, the game can become tedious, and if spectators feel that way, then spare a thought for the fielders. At least the fan can go to the bar or, in the worst case, get up and go home; the player has to stay on the field and endure his punishment.

Selectors must be more pro-active. If a captain has misplaced his imagination, then he should be reminded by the chairman that he'd better rediscover it, otherwise he'll find himself either unemployed or back among the rank and file
."

Go here to read the full article.

Ian Chappell: Don't change the rules, play better | Opinion | Cricinfo Magazine | Cricinfo.com