• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would be your top 10 greatest Asian cricketers?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Quite amazing that for an All-time Asian top 10, most people, including myself only included the 1 spinner in Murali (albeit a couple having Kumble as well)
The reason may be that only Murali and Kumble were able to bowl their teams to the victory when touring overseas. Murali's record is much better than any of the Asian spinners BTW (22 vs 28 - 32)

G.I.Joe

International Coach
The CW top 50 exercise had Tendulkar higher than Imran IIRC. Considering Imran's done nothing of note since then, while Tendulkar's churned out a 200 in a 50 over game, and hundreds in India'squest to remain #1, I'd say it still holds true.

Last edited:
You start a thread and chicken out of doing it yourself. :)

So who is your number 2? Imran or Sachin?
How am I chickening out?I find it hard to split Imran and Sachin.Imran gets more points for being an all rounder as opposed to a pure bat - although Sachin is a handy bowler and may even have 100-150 test wickets if India hadn't been blessed with spinning riches.When talking about greatness I also tend to factor in the number of controversies-others may disagree.This is one area where Sachin is quite far ahead of the rest,even Imran.Furthermore if you factor ODIs,it is even harder to split them because Imran wasn't all that as an ODI player.

Murali for me is the best simply because he has been phenomenally consistent.His stats are mindblowing for a spinner.He has been part of a WC winning team,a CT winning side,2nd most test wins for an Asian after Tendulkar,a few Asia Cup winning sides.......

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
A more interesting challenge would be to name the top 10 cricketers of an Asian background who don't play for an Asian team.

Chee Quee surely number 1.
Quite a few played for England, and (depending on how far you go back genealogically speaking) the West Indies

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
This thread reminds me of Benchy's pic:

Murali and Imran rank 16 and 17 though, no doubt.

Imran,Sachin,Murali in whatever order will be the top 3 for most.4-10 are trickier. Gavaskar,Kapil Dev, Wasim, Waqar,Dravid are must haves in the top 10 imo....the reamianing 2 spots is a toss up between the likes of De Silva,Sanga,Jayasuriya,Jayawardene,Miandad,Inzamam,Kumble,Azharuddin,the Indian spin trio,Fazal Mahmood.Even Sehwag may be worth a shout.I picked Kumble largely because of his 600+ test wickets which is the batting equivalent of 12k test runs.Jayawardene also made my list because almost 10k runs in tests is not easy.Like Kumble his away record isn't stellar but good enough to make the top 10 Asian players imo.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
1. Muttiah Muralitharan
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Sunil Gavaskar (because he's more likely to feature in my all-time World XI than the next 2 guys)
4. Imran Khan
5. Wasim Akram
6. Javed Miandad
7. Kapil Dev
8. Rahul Dravid
9. Waqar Younis
10. Kumar Sangakkara

Positions 6-9 can be in any order, though.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
1. Muttiah Muralitharan
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Sunil Gavaskar (because he's more likely to feature in my all-time World XI than the next 2 guys)
4. Imran Khan
5. Wasim Akram
6. Javed Miandad
7. Kapil Dev
8. Rahul Dravid
9. Waqar Younis
10. Kumar Sangakkara

Positions 6-9 can be in any order, though.
Gilchrist is most like to make an all time world XI but that does not mean he is among the best XI of all time

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Gilchrist is most like to make an all time world XI but that does not mean he is among the best XI of all time
He'll be in mine...depends on how each person defines best...otherwise a list of greatest players will always be dominated by great all-rounders with a few like Bradman and Marshall in between...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The CW top 50 exercise had Tendulkar higher than Imran IIRC. Considering Imran's done nothing of note since then, while Tendulkar's churned out a 200 in a 50 over game, and hundreds in India'squest to remain #1, I'd say it still holds true.
:laugh:

Xuhaib

International Coach
He'll be in mine...depends on how each person defines best...otherwise a list of greatest players will always be dominated by great all-rounders with a few like Bradman and Marshall in between...
fair enough.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
:laugh:

Speaking of which, according to the CW50, Asia's 10 highest ranked cricketers were:

1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. Imran Khan
3. Muttiah Muralitharan
4. Wasim Akram
5. Sunil Gavaskar
6. Kapil Dev
7. Waqar Younis
8. Rahul Dravid
9. Chaminda Vaas
10. CK Nayudu

Vaas a little out of place there TBH.

Teja.

Global Moderator
1.Imran Khan
2.Sachin Tendulkar
3.Muttiah Muralitharan
4.Waqar Younis
5.Sunil Gavaskar
6.Wasim Akram
7.Kapil Dev
8.Javed Miandad
9.Rahul Dravid
10.Kumar Sangakkara

Note that this is a list of only Post WWII players as I do not consider myself knowledgeable enough about Pre-war cricketers to compare them with ones I've seen or read about more.

Last edited:

Teja.

Global Moderator
Top 10 Asian Cricketers from CMJ's list would be:-

1.Sachin Tendulkar(9)
2.Muttiah Muralitharan(13)
3.Imran Khan(14)
4.Sunil Gavaskar(26)
5.Wasim Akram(34)
6.Waqar Younis(36)
7.Kapil Dev(48)
8.Javed Miandad(57)
9.Kumar Sangakkara(58)
10.Bishen Bedi(62)

The overall list is a bit English heavy, one may feel.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Not as a batsman alone imo
Their ODI record is comparable as well as test record. But Saga does very well away from home. (Avg 50 vs 36). Add the keeping as well. Yes he may not be eye candy as Jayawardane, but a much better player and a class above Jaya.