Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ed Joyce seeks early return to Ireland

Ed Joyce seeks early return to Ireland

Ed Joyce confirms Ireland ambitions

Misses out by a small amount by qualification, so Ireland are seeking an exemption under the "special circumstances" clause.

Here's hoping that he gets it granted.

ECB's response:

Hugh Morris, Managing Director of England Cricket wished Joyce all the best on his return to Ireland colours saying: "While we are naturally disappointed to lose a player of Ed's calibre from our pool of potential England players, we entirely respect and understand the reasons behind his decision. Ed is a player of proven international quality who played an important role in England's Commonwealth Bank Series win over Australia in 2007 and we wish him well in his future career with Ireland."

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Bloody Ireland, stealing all of our players
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

Yeah, that'd be great if he could return early. Can't see why the ICC would object.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Everyone wins. Hope it happens.

Would we actually lose him from our player pool though? Couldn't we just pick him again if we, and he, wanted to?

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Yeah really hope this happens.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    Whilst I admit that Irish cricket would be the better for Joyce's return, it seems a bit farcical that a player can make their international debut for one country, get selected and represent another, and then return to that initial country. If he then hits a tremendous run of form can England then select him for their national side again? As I say, it'd be beneficial for Irish cricket to have him back but I'm just a bit sceptical of players coming and going with regards to their international side.

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Fingers crossed. I really think 2 years for a player going back to an associate country is sufficient.

I read that Hamish Marshall is also looking for the same exemption, I don't know if that would be supported by NZ cricket? I presume he's not likely to be picked by them again.

International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
    Whilst I admit that Irish cricket would be the better for Joyce's return, it seems a bit farcical that a player can make their international debut for one country, get selected and represent another, and then return to that initial country. If he then hits a tremendous run of form can England then select him for their national side again? As I say, it'd be beneficial for Irish cricket to have him back but I'm just a bit sceptical of players coming and going with regards to their international side.
    This.

There should at least be a standdown period. Or maybe I'm just being old-fashioned and wanted players to play for the country of their birth and all that. How 20th century of me.
    Greatest Ever Test XI: JB Hobbs, L Hutton, DG Bradman (c), IVA Richards, BC Lara, GS Sobers, AC Gilchrist (wk), Imran Khan, RJ Hadlee, MD Marshall, SK Warne 12th man: M Muralitharan

Favorite XI: WG Grace, VT Trumper, IVA Richards, DCS Compton, FMM Worrell (c), AC Gilchrist (wk), CL Cairns, SK Warne, FS Trueman, SE Bond, T Richardson 12th man: H Larwood

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    4 years seems to me a reasonable stand-down period, how long do you want?!
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    I read that Hamish Marshall is also looking for the same exemption, I don't know if that would be supported by NZ cricket? I presume he's not likely to be picked by them again.
    They're welcome to him.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Heck, we feel a little bad that you lost out on Morgan, you know what Ireland? You can have James as well.

Enjoy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
    This.

English practise of robbing and discarding players of other countries at will (okay technically they are "choosing" to represent England, but let's not kid ourselves) is a disgrace to cricketing logic. Either they make Ireland part of England (in cricket) or prevent such stuff altogether.

Ed Joyce should not be given any reprieve here, and be a reminder to all those who seek easy pastures outside their country of birth. You make the decision with some permanency. It is not outsourcing or contract work.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    Either they make Ireland part of England (in cricket) or prevent such stuff altogether.
    This sentence is undeniable proof that you have no clue what the hell you are talking about, and hence you should wade out of this debate.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    This.

English practise of robbing and discarding players of other countries at will (okay technically they are "choosing" to represent England, but let's not kid ourselves) is a disgrace to cricketing logic. Either they make Ireland part of England (in cricket) or prevent such stuff altogether.

Ed Joyce should not be given any reprieve here, and be a reminder to all those who seek easy pastures outside their country of birth. You make the decision with some permanency. It is not outsourcing or contract work.
    Just jog on hey

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information