• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in West Indies

AaronK

State Regular
Damn.. some fine bowling by Kallis here.. he is bowling around 90 mile per hour.. i have always seen him as medium pacer of 75 to mid 80s.. Great bowling..

Jayzamann

International Regular
I sincerely doubt that those speeds are accurate. Cricinfo clocked someone (don't remember who, where, when) at over 175km an hour not that long ago, and it wasn't even a pace bowler iirc.

stumpski

International Captain
I'm sure West Indies'd take that, given that Washington was very successful at domestic level before going 0-93 on debut.

Maybe, although I'm not sure how any player performing at domestic level really helps the Test side. Tbf though, he had an absolute road to bowl on. Whatever happened to him anyway? Looks as if that Antigua Test was his last first-class match. :huh:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Maybe, although I'm not sure how any player performing at domestic level really helps the Test side. Tbf though, he had an absolute road to bowl on. Whatever happened to him anyway? Looks as if that Antigua Test was his last first-class match. :huh:
But taking wickets of poor batsmen in WI domestic cricket surely suggests you're a better bowler than someone who gets routinely smashed around by poor batsmen in WI domestic cricket. Surely...

King Pietersen

International Captain
Next Michael Holding TBH. 16 wickets at 51.125 in his FC career before being picked to tour Australia. Bess is quite clearly going to match up to Holding's career, be disappointing if he didn't really, his FC figures are better than Holdings were. :ph34r:

Last edited:

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Well it looks like the usual suspects returned to type today!! 8-) Richards getting a duck, Gayle doing crap when it's time to really build a lead, Nash falling cheaply coming in early and Ramdin doing what Ramdin always does, i'm just glad the tail kept us in it for a lot longer this time, and if crap spinners like Botha can get wickets then i'd expect Shilly and Benn to really put the pressure on,

The whole Bess thing is crazy of course, but who else could we call in such a short space of time? if those stupid selectors would have done what i said they should have and brought Russell back from England we wouldn't have been in this problem, Bess has got talent but he's never been talked about like the likes of Holder, Gabriel, Russell etc, he played for the A-team alongside Shilly, Holder and Gabriel against Zimbabwe and he was the least impressive of the lot but who knows what will happen now? maybe he might grab this huge opportunity he's been given with both hands? i wish him the best of luck.

If we can somehow get Smith and maybe Amla out in this short session then it really will be game on!!.

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
One gets the feeling West indies with whatever combination cannot get past SA on a pitch which allows a decent attack to take 20 wickets.

King Pietersen

International Captain
He's not Michael Holding then......

Was an OK over, just a bit wayward. When he gets it right he gets some movement in the air and off the deck, but he doesn't appear to have much control of line or length. May just be a tad nervous though, so we'll have to see how he gets on in his 2nd and 3rd spells tomorrow. Not particularly pacey either. Think his quickest delivery read 85mph, which isn't slow, but it's certainly not rapid.

Peterson gone. Didn't look particularly comfortable against the pace and bounce of Roach, and that was a nothing shot really. Good chance for the West Indies to pick up a few quick wickets and put the South Africans under pressure here. Going to need Bess to bowl better than he did in that 1st over though.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Thanks Aaaammmmmmmmmlllllaaaaaaaaa!!!..

Oh man we've been his worst nightmare in this series!! :laugh:

If we can nick Harris now then it would be the perfect response from us today!!.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
With the number of ridiculous shots played today, I think it's safe to say there was something in the air in Barbados.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
P Harris's career seems to be over.
Still the second innings to come but yeah I get the feeling Botha's ahead of him now. Still think Harris is probably the better bowler (marginally) but his form is down and with Kallis in the team, South Africa's spinner spot is definitely more open to having factors other than bowling play a part. Botha has better form and rhythm on his side at the moment and even if he is a little weaker as a bowler alone it's not really by that much and he's a much, much better allround cricketer.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Good to see Bravo score a few runs again. First session will be absolutely crucial. SA aren't in too much danger yet at 46/2, but key wickets of Smith and then Kallis could quickly change this.