• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graeme Hick - A Very English Enigma

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Classy article, Martin.
Exactly so. Worthy addition to an already impressive oeuvre.

One thought occured to me regarding Hick's greater success in the shorter format: did he benefit from the "no bouncer" rule that applied at the time? Given his porblems with top class pace (in tests at least) was this a factor?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Exactly so. Worthy addition to an already impressive oeuvre.

One thought occured to me regarding Hick's greater success in the shorter format: did he benefit from the "no bouncer" rule that applied at the time? Given his porblems with top class pace (in tests at least) was this a factor?
Possibly, in the same way Bevan did. I still remember watching Merv give Hick a working over with the short stuff and (usually) coming out on top.

tooextracool

International Coach
Absolutely, the same can be applied to Ramprakash, I think he suffered too due to the inconsistency of selection through this period. If these players could have been assured of continued selection while they found their feet, allowed to play their own free-flowing game without the fear of the chop after every innings, then I'm sure they would have gone some way to fulfilling their potential.
I'm not sure if I agree with that to be honest. Ramps got consistent runs in the test side including in his very last test run when he played something like 10 tests in a row and did little other than the isolated test century against Australia at the Oval. If anything Ramprakash was more of an enigma than Hick, Hick was really only given 2 test match runs - one when he was superlative and arguably the best batsman in the side (93-96), but was then ridiculously dropped after 4 poor tests, and another late in his career (2000-2001) where he played something like 10 tests but was pretty much shot by then.