• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Burgey's Allan Border Appreciation Thread

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gritty as they come, old AB. I liked him solely because (IIRC) he used Duncan Fearnley, which my batting hero MD Crowe used for a long time.
God yes. Those DF bats from the 80's just looked so much cooler than any other brand. Wanted one so hard for so long.

So cool.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
lol... there is an other worldly charm abt pics of cricket from the 80s... There are a lot of good things but as the saying goes, watching all this controversy abt IPL, it does feel like cricket sold its soul, so to speak. :(

And yeah, AB, what a champ!!! So good of the Aussies to have their highest annual cricketing honor thing named after him as well... The fans may forget but its good that the men who run cricket there still remember how vital he was to cricket in that country.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
border is the clear 3rd best batsman for me after the don and chappell....one of the most effective batsman i have ever seen...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
U mean Australian, right? And you would put him ahead of Ponting? Tats interesting. I have a world of respect for AB as a player and think he is an all time great but in terms of pure batsmanship, it would be interesting to see what the guys who have seen him think of him compared to Ponting or Steve Waugh or Greg Chappell...

Teja.

Global Moderator
U mean Australian, right? And you would put him ahead of Ponting? Tats interesting. I have a world of respect for AB as a player and think he is an all time great but in terms of pure batsmanship, it would be interesting to see what the guys who have seen him think of him compared to Ponting or Steve Waugh or Greg Chappell...
Border over all three by a slight but comfortable enough margin.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Many years ago I played in a fund-raising game between our club's A-Grade side and an invitational X1 captained by the then OZ captain, one Allan Border

We had a pretty good side with 2 ex-test medium pacers and the current state opening bowler

Border's team batted first and AB came in early at no. 4 on a pretty sporting deck and proceeded to score 117 off 72 balls (I remember because I checked) with only 3 false shots that I can rememeber

The first was a play and miss of one of his first balls

The second was a bottom-edged hook which was immediately followed by another one which went over the fence, over the grandstand, over the road and into a houses' garden

The third was when he was caught

It was easily the best batting display that I have been priveledged enough to field against

IMO, the guy was massively talented but had to restrain himself because of the lack of talent that he was surrounded by for most of his test career

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
yeah i meant australian...and re: the bolded portion, easily....ponting for me is fifth in the aussie batting greatness stakes after bradman, chappell, border and waugh(here it is arguable) and i have seen all of them play except bradman...which is why i find it ridiculous when people drag ponting into the 2nd best all-time after bradman discussions....and i don't know what you mean by pure batsmanship but border while not a stylish batsman was incredibly talented and a master at playing according to the needs of the situations when it be grinding it out for a day and a half to save a test or blitzing it in a one dayer...earlier in his career, he fared badly against the liquid pace of the west indian quartets but he conquered that with typical grit and determination....he was captain during one of the darkest phases of aussie cricket in terms of talent after the big three (lillee, chappell & marsh) left and he kept it together and respectable like few other cricketing leaders did...

Last edited: