Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Round table revisited, Lara the best batsmen of modern era

U19 Captain

Round table revisited, Lara the best batsmen of modern era

Best batsman of modern era? Sachin tendulkar, Ricky ponting, Brian Lara

All of these guys put Lara ahead of Tendulkar, I doubt their minds have changed since then despite the 200 and all.

Personally I feel Tendulkar's been the best bat of the modern era, just barely slightly ahead of Lara and I say this purely due his consistency levels compared with Lara.

Without a shadow of a doubt however, I feel there isnt a batsmen in the world who could match Lara's genius and greatness when he actually got set and was in form. Absolutely ridiculous acceleration and domination of bowlers with such flare to boot.

The great thing about Lara is that he kept attacking throughout his career while Tendulkar changed his approach a few years back.
    Last edited by mohammad16; 31-03-2010 at 07:18 PM.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    That was like 2 years ago though...maybe recent form has changed their opinion, maybe not.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Indeed. Though Lara's departure is at least recent enough for everyone to make meaningful comparisons.

Both are geniuses though. Both can play all the shots, each could destroy any attack on their day. I must admit I generally would go for Tendulkar based on his consistency, but Lara had highs as a batsman which probably none before him save Bradman have had.

Guess I'd say, if I wanted a banker - someone to back a thousand bucks on to score runs for me, I'd take Tendulkar. But if I had a thousand bucks and had to pay to see only one of them, on the proviso that they'd be at their best when I did, then I'd take Lara - just.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

U19 Captain
    Well I feel its typical for the most of us to base our opinions on the here and now. I am sure when Lara scored 400, everyone around was jumping around considering him the GOAT of all time bar Bradman. Tendulkar scores 200 and the threads/topics and discussions start exploding out about him being the best. It is only human nature.

They are both tremendous players with such contrasting styles that should be appreciated and celebrating together.

It matters less who you put ahead of the other.

I just wish there was more Lara footage around on the web.... Man its so frustrating, is there anyplace where I can order some footage living here in Canada. I mean footage other than his 400 or 375.
    Last edited by mohammad16; 31-03-2010 at 07:45 PM.

I will always rate Lara ahead of Tendulkar. Both are absolute geniuses though. Would make my all time XI, both of them.

I could quote Richie Benaud, Donald Bradman, Richard Hadlee and over 9000 other people but the truth is between phenomenal players such as Sachin and Lara, it is purely down to opinion.

But if people really want to convert this into an opinion fight, No other player apart from Sachin has been called 'God'. Barry Richards, Martin Crowe, Mathew Hayden however have called Sachin the 'god of cricket'. It can be seen in how high regard people hold SRT as some great ex-players have the deluded opinion that he is even greater than the Don.(Sir Richard Hadlee, SMG et al.)

He happens to be the only Cricketer of the modern era who is named in the Alltime XI of both the Don and Benaud and I respect Richie Benaud & Sir Donald Bradman's opinions more than Ravi Shastri, Tony Greig, Ian Chappell & John Wright any day of my life.

Also, this was conducted in 2006 when Sachin was in the worst form of his life since then, he has come back and how!

Quote Originally Posted by Pratters View Post
    I will always rate Lara ahead of Tendulkar.
    Yup, me too. Interesting even Ravi rates Lara ahead, that surprised me tbh

I rate SRT over Alan Border over Lara.

U19 Debutant
    funny video Boycott a selfish Bastard

^ Except for the fact Chappell makes that very same point about Boycott almost every 2nd time he speaks

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Sachin vs Mcgrath battle cut short by stupid decision of umpire. I saw on star cricket. The ball was going over the stumps. The same umpire turned down 4 lbw shout against langer who scored a double century.

From 1:48 to 2:48

YouTube - Aus vs Ind, 3rd Test, Sydney 2000 - India 1st innings

In that series out of 6 times dismissed he got bad decisions in 3.

vcs
    Quote Originally Posted by satyam View Post
    Sachin vs Mcgrath battle cut short by stupid decision of umpire. I saw on star cricket. The ball was going over the stumps. The same umpire turned down 4 lbw shout against langer who scored a double century.

From 1:48 to 2:48

YouTube - Aus vs Ind, 3rd Test, Sydney 2000 - India 1st innings

In that series out of 6 times dismissed he got bad decisions in 3.
    Yeah, that one seems to have hit him just outside the line of off-stump and it's going over as well. Shame. The shoulder-before-wicket decision was the right one, though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    I could quote Richie Benaud, Donald Bradman, Richard Hadlee and over 9000 other people but the truth is between phenomenal players such as Sachin and Lara, it is purely down to opinion.

But if people really want to convert this into an opinion fight, No other player apart from Sachin has been called 'God'. Barry Richards, Martin Crowe, Mathew Hayden however have called Sachin the 'god of cricket'. It can be seen in how high regard people hold SRT as some great ex-players have the deluded opinion that he is even greater than the Don.(Sir Richard Hadlee, SMG et al.)

He happens to be the only Cricketer of the modern era who is named in the Alltime XI of both the Don and Benaud and I respect Richie Benaud & Sir Donald Bradman's opinions more than Ravi Shastri, Tony Greig, Ian Chappell & John Wright any day of my life.

Also, this was conducted in 2006 when Sachin was in the worst form of his life since then, he has come back and how!
    This.

I would add my routine line on them, 'One was infinitely talented, but never really could control it, the other is a bit lesser talented, but mastered it.

Banned
    Chappell nailed it when he said that Ponting has surpassed both of them.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratters View Post
    I will always rate Lara ahead of Tendulkar. Both are absolute geniuses though. Would make my all time XI, both of them.
    This
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information