• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Off-Season Thread (2010)

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Jason Krejza is a bit old for the centre of excellence? Wouldn't they be better off looking at younger players?

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jason Krejza is a bit old for the centre of excellence? Wouldn't they be better off looking at younger players?
As a spin bowler he's still quite young, theres nothing to say if he's good enough he can't be playing international cricket in 10 years.

pasag

RTDAS
Micky Arthur coaching WA? That's awesome. Give him the national job if he does well there, IMO.

Gowza

U19 12th Man
for those who don't know blizzard is playing a T20 tournament in UAE atm, PCL.

Last edited:

brockley

International Captain
With the AIS they sometimes like to give promising players who are struggling another go,such asmoises henriques 3rd time.
So we have an A team playing and a test series on when the emerging series is on.
New zealand herald said it was august,but i gather it will start late july.
NZ has cancelled its A tour to england so much of its A team will make up the emerging side.
NZ world cup team will tour qld for a camp before the 20/20 cup,qld can blood some new talent.
BTW what happened to shaun heaney and kumar sarnia both have dropped off the world it seems,such promising youngsters.
Yeh heard blizzard was playing check out your forum sometimes,good-O:cool:

Jayzamann

International Regular
Article in the 'tiser today about how the SACA is headhunting both Blizzard and Warner.

That Twenty20 side (+ Pollard, Afridi, Tait, et al) would be amazing.

brockley

International Captain
Its confirmed the emerging series involves india,s africa and nz.
Daryl smidt saffie keeper will be the main spin bowler on tour does both.
Cricket australia contracts out on wednesday,will effect state contracts system,a number of aussies mcdonald,manou,clark,hodge,manou likely to lose contracts.
Will effect state contracts.
The contracts will have a stronger test basis,altho include one day cricket.
Contractsnot likely to reflect 20/20 so tait will probably miss out.
Heard tassie interested in blizzard,but apart from one dayers and 20/20 he not much chop for first class cricket,moderate 2nd xl,vics probably glad to lose him,sa redbacks did come last in one dayers tho.
Doubt he would go to tas they looking for a first class opener.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
I think Chris Lynn from Queensland will end up having more International success then most of the current Aus u19s players. None of the Aus u19s batsman have a first-class 100 to their name, but Lynn does.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I think Chris Lynn from Queensland will end up having more International success then most of the current Aus u19s players. None of the Aus u19s batsman have a first-class 100 to their name, but Lynn does.
I am a big fan of Lynn, but slightly premature to pronounce him the only successful batsman out of the U19 group. The fact Lynn has already established himself at first class level is more an indication of the weakened Queensland batting line-up. I imagine he would only just make 2nd XI selection for the likes of a full strength New South Wales and Victoria.

Will make a good thread topic in three to four years time when all members of the U19 side have had a chance to stake a claim at grade level and achieve some fine tuning through the AIS.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
I looked at Lynn's stats the other day on mycricket. He averaged 15 in first grade last year and 65 this season, which lead to state selection.

http://mycricket.cricket.com.au/com...ercareerbatting.asp&playerID=533063&eid=13719

Playing u17s or u19s for NSW or Australia doesn't mean much in context. Matthew Hayden and Glenn McGrath didn't make the Aus u19s squads and at the age of 19, Shane Warne was still playing 3rd grade for St. Kilda. I don't think Ricky Ponting even played u19s for Australia either.

Spark

Global Moderator
I looked at Lynn's stats the other day on mycricket. He averaged 15 in first grade last year and 65 this season, which lead to state selection.

http://mycricket.cricket.com.au/com...ercareerbatting.asp&playerID=533063&eid=13719

Playing u17s or u19s for NSW or Australia doesn't mean much in context. Matthew Hayden and Glenn McGrath didn't make the Aus u19s squads and at the age of 19, Shane Warne was still playing 3rd grade for St. Kilda. I don't think Ricky Ponting even played u19s for Australia either.
He did. or at least he was part of the squad.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Hayden was told by Rod Marsh as a teenager that he'd never be good enough to play state cricket.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Hayden was told by Rod Marsh as a teenager that he'd never be good enough to play state cricket.
First class cricket, thats what I read that he said.

Also it's good that Pollard signed for next season again. Keen to find out more about Nathan Lyon and if he is moving to SA, that might encourage one of the Cullen's to move states though.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't think Ponting not playing U/19's means much considering he was 14 when the first one was held and there wasn't another one for 10 years. Played his first game for Tas at about 18 and was prolific in Aus XI/Academy/Second XI before then so I'd suggest he'd have slotted into the U/19 middle order without much trouble even when young enough to play U/17's.

And on the plus side for U/19's you have Martyn, Langer, Gilchrist, Hussey, Slater, Taylor, Clarke, etc. It's not crucial but it helps.

Last edited:

iamdavid

International Debutant
What does nathan lyon bowl and how good is he?
Probably be more canberra players moving on.
He's an off spinner, good (but not really outstanding) Canberra grade cricketer, be interesting to see how he develops if he gets a chance in SA.